Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 06:10 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Absolutely correct. They have taken Christ out of those holidays and made them totally secular.
Hahaha, please spare me. Like you & all the other hand wringers on here think christmas is anything more than decorating the house, buying presents & eating lots of food. Yeah, I'm sure you're down on your knees praying & musing over the "real" reason for christmas. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
Yeah, your post makes literally no sense. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:10 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Why isn't the 4th of July listed? I mean I know it's in the middle of the summer, but, in the interest of equality if we're going to insist on the inclusion of Christian holidays that don't fall on a school day being listed then we should also respect our Country and list the 4th of July.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:21 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Christmas and new years holidays here, start on Dec. 22nd for the kids.
They DON'T have Christmas.

They have "Winter Holiday".

Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Right, so a sample size of one (in any intellectual circle, this would be immediately dismissed at this point anyway) is being used to say that Christians are oppressed.

But you didn't put any thought into this. Did you notice that no holiday on a weekend was listed? I mean, their winter break doesn't start until Dec. 26th, when the two days prior would also be part of that break, technically. They aren't listed because it's on a weekend. Father's day falls on a Sunday; not listed. Mother's day is in the same boat. Halloween; also not listed. Day light savings time; not listed.

The school calendar doesn't have anything listed for days when there isn't school. The ONLY exception to that is on breaks, in which they just inform you that there is a break through that period of time.

You know what else isn't listed? Independence Day. Is it because they hate America or because there's no school in July?
"in which they just inform you that there is a break through that period of time."

WRONG

The SPECIFICALLY say 'Winter break", NOT "there is a break through that period of time"

A very poor attempt to change the dialogue!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:40 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Why isn't the 4th of July listed? I mean I know it's in the middle of the summer, but, in the interest of equality if we're going to insist on the inclusion of Christian holidays that don't fall on a school day being listed then we should also respect our Country and list the 4th of July.
Oh wait Christmas was on the school calendar last year? Suuuuuuurrrrreeeeee

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
For those who think they're trying to remove the word "Christmas" , here's the NYC Department of Education schedule, which shows 12/26 as the day they get off for Christmas since it's on a Sunday. http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...alCalendar.pdf

I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak, but I can see winter break being more accurate since it encompasses more than just Christmas. The terminology also matches mid-winter break, spring break and summer break.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
For those who think they're trying to remove the word "Christmas" , here's the NYC Department of Education schedule, which shows 12/26 as the day they get off for Christmas since it's on a Sunday. http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...alCalendar.pdf

I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak, but I can see winter break being more accurate since it encompasses more than just Christmas. The terminology also matches mid-winter break, spring break and summer break.
I can't get my panties in a wad now with your inconvenient facts....

Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw
Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving*. What other Christian holidays would you like?

*(I'm not going to sidetrack or quibble if Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday - doesn't bother me how you label it.)

Quote:
A week at Thanksgiving? Where?

Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday, because it represents the feast and giving of thanks to God for the plentiful harvest (the first "thanksgiving") and that is a matter of historical record.

You're reading that wrong. Katzpaw posted Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving (off)....or would have written "and a week at Thanksgiving."

Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post

We know you don't.

Which is the root of most of the problems in America.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
A week at Thanksgiving? Where?

Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday, because it represents the feast and giving of thanks to God for the plentiful harvest (the first "thanksgiving") and that is a matter of historical record.
Thanksgiving was a Federal holiday before Chistmas became a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies