Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:36 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, because they are a living, feeling human. The only difference between them and a baby at the exact same stage of development in the womb of their mother is location. Therefore, it makes sense to put legal restrictions on terminating a baby this far into development, wouldn't you agree?
I've only read one persons personal story of a late term. It was incredibly sad for her and her husband. The fetus had a catastrophic heart defect that was detected late in the pregnancy. The procedure was performed in a hospital and both mother and fetus were given full anesthesia.

If we go willy nilly banning procedures, we are going to end up with dead women and babies in buckets. If we don't apply some sort of regulations and ethical guidelines we will end up with profit driven mills with the same end result. I hope we can set aside emotion and religion and look at this issue rationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is what constitutes victory for the right wing now? Pass unsustainable laws that'll get clobbered on appeal just so you can feel like winners for a few months?

That's really what it's come to? Really?
Saves the lives of THOUSANDS of babies so yep in this case good for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I am pro-life, but I am also pro-choice. This is a sensitive subject for me. The fact that I can't have a child of my own hurts so much I try not to think about it. Personally it's a choice I wouldn't make unless my life or the child's was at risk. But I can't use my vote to take that right away from another woman, to me that would be immoral.
You can't be both pro life and pro baby murder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Good, you've found a solution that works for you: don't date women who support abortion. They probably wouldn't want to date you anyway.
I am married to a woman who finds baby murder and murderers disgusting. So.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:44 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
I think there should be exceptions to bans on late term abortions.

I think there should be no restrictions on first trimester abortions.

Second trimester should have restrictions.

Third trimester should be heavily restrictive with few exceptions.

Your turn. Why do you think there should be restrictions in the third trimester?

Because at that point they may be capable of living outside the womb.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:07 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Because at that point they may be capable of living outside the womb.
I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they are live human beings at that stage.

The point is that this whole "your body, your choice" tag line neglects the fact that at a point it is a human and no longer just a choice. At some point, it is a human, even inside the womb, and killing him/her should only be allowed under the most desperate circumstances.

The people who want all abortions outlawed see it no differently than those premies in the NICU. Although, I will disagree with them on parts of their stance, I can at least respect them for their values - it's best not to kill. I have no respect at all for the, much much smaller, no restrictions crowd. At a point, that clump of cells is a baby at some point. It's a human before exiting the womb and deserves protection.

I some ways it's like war. You have the group that believes that under no circumstance should you bomb any innocent civilians to get the bad guys while others say civilians are just a casualty of war that are to be accepted and the getting the target is the top and only priority. I won't agree 100% with either, but I'll lean towards those who have the greater concern for innocent lives.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've only read one persons personal story of a late term. It was incredibly sad for her and her husband. The fetus had a catastrophic heart defect that was detected late in the pregnancy. The procedure was performed in a hospital and both mother and fetus were given full anesthesia.

If we go willy nilly banning procedures, we are going to end up with dead women and babies in buckets. If we don't apply some sort of regulations and ethical guidelines we will end up with profit driven mills with the same end result. I hope we can set aside emotion and religion and look at this issue rationally.
The brother and sister-in-law of a couple in a Sunday school class we attended were pregnant. In the late second trimester, they discovered a condition fatal to the baby. The doctors said the baby would almost certainly not make it through the pregnancy, and if he did, he would not survive delivery or be able to stay alive. I don't remember the condition.

They prayed about it and decided to continue the pregnancy since the risk to the mother was low. (Geez, I'm getting all teary eyed just typing this, and can never actually tell it without breaking down). They just hoped they could hold the baby for a few minutes after the birth.

The baby actually made it through the delivery, and his mother and father held him for fifteen minutes before their son died. The doctors took the baby and harvested organs that would be used to help four other babies. (The waterworks are going now).

Could I have done it? I doubt it. I think I would have told my wife it would be best to terminate the baby.

I think decisions in these types of situations should be left up to the parents and not the government, but only when there are such complications after a certain point.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:31 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
One of the things that gets me, the pro-lifers generally belong to the same political party that likes to cut off aid to people who adopt unwanted babies.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
One of the things that gets me, the pro-lifers generally belong to the same political party that likes to cut off aid to people who adopt unwanted babies.
One thing that gets me is that it tends to be pro-abortion judges that take adopted children away from their parents to give them back to their "reformed" birth mothers.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:47 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
I am married to a woman who finds baby murder and murderers disgusting. So.
Good for you. Since you don't have to deal with abortion I find it difficult to understand why you feel the need to stick your nose into other people's business. It's of no concern of yours what a woman (whom you would not date, marry, etc.) does with her body.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Good for you. Since you don't have to deal with abortion I find it difficult to understand why you feel the need to stick your nose into other people's business. It's of no concern of yours what a woman (whom you would not date, marry, etc.) does with her body.
Just as he can say that it is societies business when a man rapes a woman, he can also say its society's business when an innocent human's life is taken, even when that life is very young.

Do you believe a baby who is still in the womb and a week from being born is a human or not?

Old 09-10-2016, 04:14 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Just as he can say that it is societies business when a man rapes a woman, he can also say its society's business when an innocent human's life is taken, even when that life is very young.

Do you believe a baby who is still in the womb and a week from being born is a human or not?
the criminal act of rape can not be compared at all to pregnancy and parenting.

an adult woman has the right to privacy. none of anyone's business if a woman might be carrying an "innocent human" or not. you can not regulate someone's else's body.

call it human, call it cells, it doesn't matter, it is choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies