Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the protesting NFL players cowards because they won't criticize Obama's failures?
Yes 75 50.00%
No 75 50.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Then why are they protesting the NATIONAL anthem? Why not say they won't play in cities like Baltimore where these local abuses take place? Heck, why aren't they calling out the mayor, police chief and DA of Baltimore? Is it because all those people are either black and/or Democrats?
See post above that I just posted, I wanted to break up my thoughts on this.

I'll also note that in regards to the "why" IMO that is not a valid question. Being that they are Americans, the only answer to the "why" is that they have a right to free speech and they can protest in any way that they feel they would like to do so.

Also, I'll note, that this is a very peaceful protest and that compared to the riots in the past few years, I would rather see someone take a knee during the national anthem versus vandalized property and hurt other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 06:54 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
They aren't cowards although they're not heroes either. They're just big, stupid, rich people acting out on TV.

Every one of those guys kneeling or sitting has millions of dollars given to him for playing a game by sponsors. The sponsors give them this money because the kneelers help them sell more beer and cars. This is the system they are a part of, a richly rewarded part. They profit from it more than anyone. I'd say they're biting the hand that feeds them except it's their own hand.

They would earn respect instead of scorn if they flung the money back in their partners' faces. That would be a protest instead of a photo op.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
They're just spoiled brat one-percenters looking for even more attention. Even dumber is the NFL and their team owners who coddle them. The NFL ad types won't pull out on principle because the hardest audience to get is young males...and they want the money.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I'll also note that in regards to the "why" IMO that is not a valid question. Being that they are Americans, the only answer to the "why" is that they have a right to free speech and they can protest in any way that they feel they would like to do so.

Also, I'll note, that this is a very peaceful protest and that compared to the riots in the past few years, I would rather see someone take a knee during the national anthem versus vandalized property and hurt other people.
I agree they should have the right to protest.

My issue is that they are doing it in a manner that is aimed at the nation in general without holding anyone or anything to task. My suspicion is that they are afraid to do so due to those in power.

If they go after national leaders, they will be criticizing the president and the AG, both black and Democrats. If they call out the local officials wher most of the police issues are occurring, it will be in the urban cities dominated by Democrats, many of whom are black.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They're just spoiled brat one-percenters looking for even more attention. Even dumber is the NFL and their team owners who coddle them. The NFL ad types won't pull out on principle because the hardest audience to get is young males...and they want the money.
What are the income guidelines on expressions of freedom such as speech and protesting? I know the really poor aren't allowed to do it. Just wondering what the other side of the scale looks like.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I know the really poor aren't allowed to do it.
????? Since when?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
I agree they should have the right to protest.

My issue is that they are doing it in a manner that is aimed at the nation in general without holding anyone or anything to task. My suspicion is that they are afraid to do so due to those in power.

If they go after national leaders, they will be criticizing the president and the AG, both black and Democrats. If they call out the local officials wher most of the police issues are occurring, it will be in the urban cities dominated by Democrats, many of whom are black.
I don't think they are thinking about all of the bold. They just want to "do something."

In my experience, most people are very simple in their thought processes and most do not know who to "blame" specifically so they take a general stance or make general statements about a particular issue or circumstance.

I also don't think that them not "going after" the president or black Democrats is a factor. Contrary it seems to what many people on this forum believe because you are not black, it is a fact that black people are VERY critical of other black people. If any of these players decide to speak negatively about Obama or any black democrat, they will do so. I don't doubt it because I am black and I know a lot about the intricacies of so-called "black culture" in that we are loud mouths about everyone, including black people lol. However, usually mainstream media doesn't focus on us when we criticize black politicians and so I believe you and others are under the false impression that black superstars or media figures are "afraid" to say anything about Obama and friends. That is completely false. I follow various black media outlets and Obama is heavily criticized as are black democrats and democrats in general. You just don't hear about it.

I'll also note that police issues are a nationwide issue and it is not a political party issue for black Americans. I am part conservative and part liberal and I think it is an issue and has been for over 100 years no matter who is in office.

I was watching a morning news show this morning - CBS "This Morning" and Tim Scott (R) the senator from SC was on the show in regards to the opening of the Smithsonial African American museum. He spoke about how he has been stopped 7 times in the last year and how profiling is a huge issue for black Americans and he and Cory Booker (D) agreed that due to them being black men in America that they face an issue that many other Americans do not want to talk about or admit in this regard. It is a national issue and IMO you and others attempt to simplify this particular issue when you bring up political party and race. Black people can be and are racist and profiling against each other. Black people by and large do not act like this is not the case. Only non-black people seem to believe this is the case based on a small sample of blacks they see on the news who do not represent a majority of our African American populace.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 AM

59,068 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I would love to know how blacks are being "oppressed". There's not 1 black person alive today that through hard work and dedication, can't be anything he/she wants in life.

This entire police brutality on blacks has been overblown. Stats show that more whites are shot by police on a yearly basis and despite the population disparity between whites and blacks, whites are still shot at a higher rate. The media plays a HUGE part in focusing only on shootings/killings that involve white officers and blacks. Therefore it seems as if theres a witch hunt against blacks by cops which is just not true. The majority of the time these incidents do take place, they take place due to the black individual either being involved in a crime, carrying an illegal weapon, fleeing the police, resisting arrest, or attacking an officer. Sure there have been many incidents where the cop was 100% in the wrong and those cops faced the consequence as they should!
Don't try talking about reality.

The racists WON'T accept it.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Then why are they protesting the NATIONAL anthem? Why not say they won't play in cities like Baltimore where these local abuses take place? Heck, why aren't they calling out the mayor, police chief and DA of Baltimore? Is it because all those people are either black and/or Democrats?
"Why not say they won't play in cities like Baltimore where these local abuses take place?"

Because then, they would NOT get paid!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

"the only answer to the "why" is that they have a right to free speech and they can protest in any way that they feel they would like to do so."

Our laws say otherwise.

There is a time and place to protest.

At WORK is NOT one of them.

I suggest YOU do a protest where you work and see what happens to you.

If they want to do it on their "own" time, that is O.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies