Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 AM

52,791 posts, read 34,678,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is more anti-vax sentiment in Europe, both eastern and western, Australia and Japan than here in the US. They just fit it into their own culture.
Anti-Vaccine Movements Not Just a U.S. Problem | US News

just saw this yesterday: France most skeptical country about vaccine safety | Science | AAAS

Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM

1,202 posts, read 643,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Wonder how their autism levels and levels of "disease" are that can be supposedly stopped with a vaccine...

Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Yep and if you look at the number of vaccines vs the amount of people getting autism its shockingly parallel problem! Vaccines go up number of cases of Autism go up!Just a coincidence I guess!
And so today you got a chance to learn that correlation isn't causation. Number of pirates on the high seas have dropped and autism have gone up, but that hardly indicates a link.

A Danish cohort study of 500,000+ children - 90,000+ of which weren't vacinated - found absolutely no correlation between autism incidence rate and vaccination rates. There's no there there.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:31 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,789,390 times
About 40 minutes into the documentary. There have been some stories from parents who's children regressed post MMR vaccine as well as discussion about William Thomspon, a CDC researcher who admitted that information regarding a statistically significant increase in autism in African American boys who were vaccinated with MMR at a certain age was intentionally omitted from the results of an important study. Watch for yourself.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:33 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,639,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And so today you got a chance to learn that correlation isn't causation. Number of pirates on the high seas have dropped and autism have gone up, but that hardly indicates a link.

A Danish cohort study of 500,000+ children - 90,000+ of which weren't vacinated - found absolutely no correlation between autism incidence rate and vaccination rates. There's no there there.
Since you brought up the pirates example (hello FSM!), you might like this list of other bad correlations:

Spurious Correlations

Old 09-14-2016, 10:38 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,287,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was vaccinated in the early 1980s and received my last one in the 1990s.
I was born in 1974 and received my final shot at age 11. I'm two weeks out from my 42nd birthday. I remember that shot, too, because I was sick for three days. I've never had a flu shot (nor have I ever had the flu). I have no kids so no need to make any decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
A few questions for the OP or anyone else who is anti-vaccine.
I'm not anti-vaccine per se. I'm a part-time skeptic on the subject and I support choice to some extent.
Quote:
*If vaccines are not to be trusted, what about...antibiotics? Prescription medications? Over-the-counter medication? Blood transfusions? Medical supplies? (Basically anything produced by pharma corporations etc.)
Well, I try to avoid the medical industry at all costs. If I've taken an antibiotic some time in my life it was before Junior High. I haven't ever had a prescription to anything, at least after about 5th grade. I have taken Flexeril, Valium, and Etizolam, but these were either to sleep or recreationally. I'm not opposed to the use of any particular medical procedure or treatment, and I don't view my body as some sort of temple -- it's a machine, which might need treatment. But I've made it this far without needing medical intervention (other than for a dislocated finger and a vasectomy) and my stretch goal would be to make it to 75 without needing any. It's not so much the science that I'm skeptical of, but the profit motive of the biotech and medical industry, and how that can lead to faulty decsion-making.
Quote:
*Do you wish that medical science had never developed any vaccines at all and everyone the world over had never been exposed to them at all?
Well... that's hard to give just one answer to. Diseases are part of the natural world. It could be argued that pathogens serve a very important purpose. But arguing against them this way is really answering 'yes' to a different question such as "do you wish that consciousness and human intelligence had never developed?" Once we started down the path of complicated brains and the instantiation of consciousness, vaccines were inevitable. Wherever medical science ends up in 25 years or 250 years is also inevitable.

On some level I view humans as a cancer eruption, a force of unstoppable propogation throughout the planet, eradicating species and consuming habitats. We are the extinction event and we're probably just getting started. With or without vaccines, we'll keep spreading.

There is a part of me that embraces transhumanist principles (though I don't wish to live past 75 myself), and that part sees the obvious need for vaccines as part of the current and future technological package. But I think we can go way behind injecting vaccines. One day vaccination will be viewed as an archaic practice due to vastly more efficacious means of protection.

Another part of me understands we need herd immunity in a modern, egalitarian, humane society, and that I've benefitted from that.
Quote:
*This is hypothetical but let's say you had foreknowledge that you and your children would be closely exposed to polio on a trip to Pakistan. Would you A) get a polio vaccine despite what you consider to be the risks, given you know you're going to be exposed or B) refuse to get the vaccine because you are anti-vaccine and that would never change.
I'd like to take C) cancel or postpone the trip. I also don't have kids. But if a gun were being held to my head and I did have kids and we HAD to travel and we didn't have immunity already, I would get the vaccine.
Quote:
*Similarly, once the Zika vaccine is deployed, let's say you or your wife is pregnant and living in South Florida, is it worth it to you to get the vaccine or would you rather just try to avoid mosquito bites rather than get a vaccine?
Probably avoid South Florida. Doesn't apply, again because no kids nor chance of pregnancy. But... if there was a pregnancy and a gun were being held to our heads to where we had to stay in mosquito-land, I think we'd likely just do what it takes to avoid mosquito bites. As it is I live in North Texas and can't remember the last mosquito bite I had -- maybe 5 or 10 years ago? We'd have no qualms about aborting a baby if she did contract Zika.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
propaganda==filling ignorant peoples heads with false data and lies to cover the known facts of how very damaging and deadly vaccines can be and are.
It's a minor point, but Jill Stein (Green Party candidate) is also a vaccine skeptic.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:40 AM

1,202 posts, read 643,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
About 40 minutes into the documentary. There have been some stories from parents who's children regressed post MMR vaccine as well as discussion about William Thomspon, a CDC researcher who admitted that information regarding a statistically significant increase in autism in African American boys who were vaccinated with MMR at a certain age was intentionally omitted from the results of an important study. Watch for yourself.
They won't because then they will have to question the propaganda preached to them by the government and media and everyone else.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:52 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,287,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Yep and if you look at the number of vaccines vs the amount of people getting autism its shockingly parallel problem! Vaccines go up number of cases of Autism go up!Just a coincidence I guess!
Two things. First, the frequency of autism diagnoses has increased partly because the definition of autism has widened and broadened and partly because there's more acknowledgement of the autism spectrum. Second, if there is an actual increase in the incidence rate of autism-like symptoms, I wouldn't be so sure blame can all be laid in one place -- what about the rampant use of, for instance, Bisphenol A? We know what an insidious endocrine disruptor that is. The point is there are a number of chemical constituents that are more prevalent in our environment today than 30 or 40 or 50 years ago.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,556,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its about all the garbage they put in vaccines!!!!

STUFF THAT SHOULDNT BE THERE..........
I could not get it to start but I agree with you about vaccines . I think my daughter was harmed by one as a baby

Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,789,390 times
workingclasshero, Snopes is a non-objective source. It's pure propaganda and that's evident immediately when reading the inflammatory use of language. They wouldn't need that if they had accurate information to convince you with. They don't. Why would you take their word for it anyway when you can watch the video yourself? Are you comfortable with someone else telling you what to think rather then coming to your own conclusions after reviewing said information? That shows a serious lack of critical thinking.

I remember when the news first broke regarding the CDC"s fraudulent study was first brought to light. I watched the subsequent cover up unfold. There are serious problems that need to be investigated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies