Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Because they come here under false pretenses and cost us millions of dollars.

Feds crack down on Chinese 'birth tourism'
Once again, look at the southern border where MILLIONS illegals pouring in and we welcome them with open arms. They are popping out babies at a rate of 295,000 a year!!!! My goodness!

Yet you criticize some Chinese women who may or may not lied on their visa applications.

If that's not racist, I don't know what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I have seen fraud.
I have never said there was no fraud, have I? Not a single program in the world has no fraud.

But the accusation that the H1B is rife with fraud and is used to largely undercut American workers needs proof.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:13 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I have worked with and hired many on H1B for much more than 15 years. I have never seen one fraud. The companies I worked for all acted in good faith and in accordance to the laws when hiring people on H1B.

I myself came to USA on H1B for a period of time too - that was no fraud either.

For you to say the program is filled with fraud without any statistics is very dishonest.
Ah, you're an H-1B ... that explains it ...

You ever worked anywhere where an Indian company secured a blanket contract and brought a truckload of H-1Bs in that weren't even interviewed ? Is there a technical proficiency exam given to H-1B contractors before they come to the States ?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Ah, you're an H-1B ... that explains it ...

You ever worked anywhere where an Indian company secured a blanket contract and brought a truckload of H-1Bs in that weren't even interviewed ? Is there a technical proficiency exam given to H-1B contractors before they come to the States ?
Explain what? I was on H1B for about 3 months.

I also question why Wilpro, Tata, DT, etc. need thousands of H1Bs. I don't know their business practices though.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Explain what? I was on H1B for about 3 months.

I also question why Wilpro, Tata, DT, etc. need thousands of H1Bs. I don't know their business practices though.
For blanket contracts ... or to farm them off on other vendors for smaller contracts.

Do some research on lobbyist and campaign contributions made by Indian IT firms ... some of the garbage they've supplied over the years is all I need to know about their "business" practices.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Chinese nationals love pay for play.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Chinese nationals love pay for play.
Another racist? Name one person who doesn't like pay for play?

Further into the truth, the process that those rich people pay to get green cards has be on the books for decades if not centuries. It is NOT PAY FOR PLAY!

Why complain now? Why focus on the Chinese?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
For blanket contracts ... or to farm them off on other vendors for smaller contracts.

Do some research on lobbyist and campaign contributions made by Indian IT firms ... some of the garbage they've supplied over the years is all I need to know about their "business" practices.
I can't validate your statement.

Farming off work is a completely normal business process. I wouldn't doubt some H1B people are bad apples but how does that affect the vast majority of H1Bs?

Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
I can't validate your statement.

Farming off work is a completely normal business process. I wouldn't doubt some H1B people are bad apples but how does that affect the vast majority of H1Bs?
The point that you don't get is that it's not about good or bad people. It's Americans no matter the race are pissed off with foreigners replacing them and keeping wages suppressed. The original intent of H1B visas was to fill positions for which a company cannot fill no matter the salary. However everyone knows that it didn't turn out to be the case. Even though I abstained from voting this year we're all sick and tired of being told lies by the elites.

The overwhelming majority of the 85,000 H1Bs each year are not hired because they are extraordinarily talented. They are hired because at a given pay level they are probably the best the companies can hire. It also has the effect of suppressing wages by flooding the job market with an extra 85,000 workers each year. Look at the big four accounting firms hiring H1Bs to do even dumb audit work or even non technical consulting. I'm 100% sure 99% of them are not geniuses. What many of them do offer is a decent degree along with visa restrictions that don't allow them to quit for a few years to work 12 hour days during busy seasons @ 55k per year. And the Indian consulting firms are another story all together. I've worked with a H1B once that use to do QA work on cable boxes by flipping through channels on a remote. There is absolutely zero skill required yet somehow they are considered skilled labor?

Overall I think we do need to draw the best talent in this country, but the H1B program itself has been abused beyond belief. The program needs to either be ended or totally reformed. Since the gov't isn't good at identifying talent we should let the companies decide who is or isn't talent by forcing them to pay top of market wages which should be the case to extraordinary talent. $150k a year starting wage for a genius coding your entire algorithm to simulate drug interactions is chump change for a big pharma company. On the other hand $150k to hire a monkey at a big four accounting firm doing dumb work or giving stupid cyber security presentations on why you shouldn't write your password on a piece of paper isn't worth it nor is paying someone $150k to update some html on a webpage.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
The point that you don't get is that it's not about good or bad people. It's Americans no matter the race are pissed off with foreigners replacing them and keeping wages suppressed. The original intent of H1B visas was to fill positions for which a company cannot fill no matter the salary. However everyone knows that it didn't turn out to be the case. Even though I abstained from voting this year we're all sick and tired of being told lies by the elites.
No, I don't get the point. I have seen the shortage myself, and it's also confirmed by many studies. Americans having STEM degrees from accredited universities are rarely out of jobs.

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of the 85,000 H1Bs each year are not hired because they are extraordinarily talented. They are hired because at a given pay level they are probably the best the companies can hire. It also has the effect of suppressing wages by flooding the job market with an extra 85,000 workers each year. Look at the big four accounting firms hiring H1Bs to do even dumb audit work or even non technical consulting. I'm 100% sure 99% of them are not geniuses. What many of them do offer is a decent degree along with visa restrictions that don't allow them to quit for a few years to work 12 hour days during busy seasons @ 55k per year. And the Indian consulting firms are another story all together. I've worked with a H1B once that use to do QA work on cable boxes by flipping through channels on a remote. There is absolutely zero skill required yet somehow they are considered skilled labor?
LOL! Of course, the H1Bs are not hired because they are extraordinarily talented. That's the O1 visa, not H1B. H1B is to hire foreign workers to supplement our shortage, mostly in STEM areas.

Quote:
Overall I think we do need to draw the best talent in this country, but the H1B program itself has been abused beyond belief. The program needs to either be ended or totally reformed. Since the gov't isn't good at identifying talent we should let the companies decide who is or isn't talent by forcing them to pay top of market wages which should be the case to extraordinary talent. $150k a year starting wage for a genius coding your entire algorithm to simulate drug interactions is chump change for a big pharma company. On the other hand $150k to hire a monkey at a big four accounting firm doing dumb work or giving stupid cyber security presentations on why you shouldn't write your password on a piece of paper isn't worth it nor is paying someone $150k to update some html on a webpage.
Another unwritten purpose of H1B is to retain skilled foreign workers. Why should we let those people educated in American universities go back to their own countries? It's not like we have a surplus in STEM.

On the other note that I think those companies, not limited to Indian companies, should be investigated. Why do they need that many H1Bs in one company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies