Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 12:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,600,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Do you even "look" Black?

My x fiance; she was a pasty white skin blond haired and blue eyed lady; and she has def "Black girl" facial features but, it never seemed to stop her in life.
It's a little different for women
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 12:19 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,699,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Lily, I never thought for a moment that you meant to be offensive. Your past posts speak volumes about the kind of person you are.... We don't always agree, but can always be respectful in our responses.
Like you I don't have an answer. What I do know is these riots only serve to enflame the issue and to re-enforce the negative stereotypes.
When I see old ex-pats with young prostitutes my skin crawls, because I know they are making me look bad. Those guys re-enforce a very negative stereotype about middle-aged whites, regardless of nation of origin.

As I said we all profile. Some deny that they do, but they do. I drive past a shoddy trailer park and I don't assume only the best of whites are living there. Especially since in my area 75% of police calls are to respond to crimes in the trailer park.

A big difference I see in the response of people to police action, justified or not justified action, is that whites generally accept that the perp the police are after, shoot, or rough up, did something to escalate the action. The fact is that, that is normally the case. I saw with fellow servicemen lipping off to cops or resisting.

Do cops profile? Yes. Because of experiences, the area they are working, or information they received when ordered to the scene. Some cops are bad cops. They shouldn't be wearing the uniform or carrying a gun. My beef is more with small town cops. They tend to be poorly trained, poorly paid, friends or family of public officials. Those cops seem to get away with a great deal of abuses.

In todays environment you have to be crazy to want to be a cop. Even more crazy to be a cop in a big city. Everyone hates the police until they need a cop. Even then as often as not the police are criticized for everything from slow response time to how they conducted themselves. If only we held our elected reps to even half that standard...
Exactly. I completely agree.

I think maybe there is a gap between police officer culture and civilian culture, just like there is a huge gap between military culture and civilian culture.

Regarding racial profiling, Racial profiling is a legal tactic, and has been used as long as people have been search for criminals.

Say there is a robbery at the convenient store at 5th and Main. The police radio broadcast describes the suspect as a white male, 18-25, six feet tall, slender, and wearing a white t-shirt and jeans. A police officer looking for that suspect is wasting his time stopping women, Asian, blacks, and Hispanics. Likewise, there is no need to stop middle-aged men and little old ladies.

I've been stopped once by two police officers. I drove very slow in my friend's neighborhood because I couldn't find his house. He lived in a lower middle class southern California neighborhood. I drove a BMW and thought I didn't do anything wrong. The officer asked me couple of questions and let me go.

My friend told me later that they stopped me because they thought I was looking for drugs. Makes perfect sense. This is criminal profiling.

Matter of fact, I always wanted to be a FBI profiler or a forensic artist. I think criminal profiling is the combination of art and science.

I feel very bad for police officers, especially I have so many friends who are police officers in LAPD. I've never really thought about how black people are treated, because I've never had many black friends growing up. But now, my sister is dating a black guy, I started to see how different black folks are treated. NOT everyone is a racist, no not at all. I don't have a solution, I wish I do.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-24-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 12:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,932,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
This is just a fact...East Asians, Indians, Pakistanis and Bengalis tend to have less problems with law enforcement because their communities require less police presence because there is less crime in their neighborhoods which lead to less police encounters.

It's the law of statistical averages and outcomes.

We don't need statistical charts, or studies from Ivory tower Ivy league sociologists...just do your own assessment...

Seriously, how many of us have had to call the police because someone Asian robbed them?

How many times has anyone had to call the police because a group of young asian males were standing on the corner selling drugs, being loud, cursing and harassing people?

How many of us have had to call the police on large crowds of Asian women in the middle of the street cussing each other out, fighting over who's baby daddy is with who?

How many times have any of you had to all the police because someone Asian robbed you or burglarized your home?

How many times do teachers have to call Asian parents up to the school because their Asian sons or daughters were causing problems in the classrooms?

I know all groups are capable of these behaviors....but the results speak for themselves.
You left out African Blacks there: even tho they're "Black", they seem to have a whole lot LESS prejudice thrown their way, their kind ore more like "Asian" they way they act.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:31 PM

776 posts, read 582,298 times
_______To start we have a large Indian(Asia not NA) presences in our city. About 20%, and this all came within the last 5-10 years. They are stereotypically in IT, medical, and other stereotypical service fields. Many people hate these new comers and are openly racist against them. While I also dislike them for certain reasons, also stereotypical ones, they have an amazingly low crime rate in their neighborhoods. IMO, I think it might be partially that they are educated individuals trying to make a better life for themselves in the States. With Africans, they were mostly, probably 99%, brought over. So unlike other immigrants, who worked to get here, Africans got dumped here. In my theory we got the uneducated ones and the ones not looking for a better life.
________This can be turned on the whites as well. Early Australia was a large prison for the English Empire that would drop their criminals and unwanted there. I bet the native, highly moral in comparison, Aborigines had some of the same issues we face. Early America was the same way, the British used the Americas as a dumping ground too. Some criminal white Englishman was making trouble in an Native American village, and had to lawfully be put down. White American's probably herd this and took up arms without thinking logically first. To me, it seems that we aren't under privileged or faced with anything new, we are making the same mistakes our fathers and grandfathers made.
_______As someone mentioned earlier, Africans didn't have their culture. I think this is a pile of garbage. Yes, their African culture was taken from them. They did, even in the 'slave days', have a rich African-American culture. IMO, great culture stems from great oppression. Look at the art and music around the world, the best and most famous pieces were made during times of great oppression. This can still be found in many places if you look and listen. The problem with current African-Americans loosing their culture isn't isolated to just them, many other cultures in America are facing the same problem.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You left out African Blacks there: even tho they're "Black", they seem to have a whole lot LESS prejudice thrown their way, their kind ore more like "Asian" they way they act.
It's because it's a war against culture nor a war against race. Black people have always been symbolic of non conformity in America. So mainstream America has always been at odds with this. In many ways America itself is a culture of non conformity and in many ways black people represent to soul of what Americanism is all about.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:57 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,607,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
What groups of "black" people?

African-American, Nigerian, Jamaican, Haitian...which ones? Can't be all.

Since you can specify groups of Asians, do the same for so-called "blacks."
Yes, when they speak about how well assimilated and respectful Asians are they don't recognize or realize that some of the most affluent and succesful immigrants to the US are Nigerians. I am of Nigerian decent. I also know Ghanians, Jamaicans, and other people of the african diaspora like Honduras, Panama, Puerto Rico, Cuba who are all the same positive values America praises. Yet, when we go out we all, all racially profiled as being violent or suspicious because we are all black males.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:05 PM

6,745 posts, read 4,435,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Almost every other thread on this forum here is about black people and these posters usually perpetuate racism, but dont ever call them racists though.
I'm Not a racist, but I will say most blacks do have a chip on their shoulder, against whites, the police and authority in general. Just what I have seen first hand. This comes out when they are stopped by the police and take offence to it. I have been stopped many times and got tickets. The cops couldnt have been more nicer. I knew I was in the wrong and didnt contest it. I was brought up to respect the cops, if you are stopped and talking to the cops dont be reaching for chit where the cops cant see your hands. When stopped, I pull out my lic and reg before the cop gets to my car window. Another thing, I dont have the need to have a gun in the car. If you feel the need to or need to carry one. You may need to evaluate your life and make some changes. I have a handgun in my drawer at home. Not once did it jump up and go out and shoot some one. Grow up, you are responsible for your own actions, forgetting that can get you killed.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM

It's not about black people or the black race. Black people is an "uncomfortable truth" about America. It's almost as if you had a past, you cleaned it up, and you tried become an upstanding citizen, but someone in your past reminds you of who you use to be, or even who you really are. Black people is a constant remind of what America really is and what it really use to be like. When you talk about slavery, it doesn't look good on America's brochure.

This is why everyone really hates black people. Black people make people uncomfortable. Everyone wants to pretend we live in a perfect world, and a perfect society where police are just looking out for you, and our government is just looking out for you best interest. Black people constantly remind us that this is not reality of America. Black people don't allow America to lie to itself. Because when you look at the world, we constantly have people lying to themselves. Because at the end of the day, everyone wants to believe they're as good as they tell themselves they are.

American culture and black culture are tied at the hip. You can't get rid of one without getting rid of the other. Black people are the soul of America, and is a represetation of what America really stand for. America is a country of misfits, non conformist, and social outcast. And black people remind us that our ancestors were nothing but rejects. When you get rid of black people who challenge the status quo, you get rid of America. Because America is all about challenging the status quo, not becoming the status quo. And the minute where we crush anyone group who dares challenge the status quo, America just turns into some elitest conformist paradise, and it loses the very principles it was founded on.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:59 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,898,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Here again, another poster tries to compare a group he calls "blacks," most of whom came from over 40 different ethnicities whose religions, ethnic groups and cultures were beaten out of them, to people who still retain their ethnic identities/religions (Chinese, Japanese, Jews).

The fact that the vast majority of "black" people cannot point to an African country of origin, like Chinese can point to China or Japanese can point to Japan. That most "black" people cannot point to their original religions as can "Jews" is evidence that the experiences of the people's are NOT remotely comparable.

If after what was done to them, Chinese, Japanese and other Asian groups were called "yellows" like you people say "blacks" and had no knowledge of which Asian country they came from, lost all their languages etc., then one could begin to compare.

However, that is not the case. The focus of American society was to keep African peoples from assimilating and cause them to make up the underclass. So strip them of their cultures and label them by color and keep people of that color from assimilating. That was the goal for hundreds of years.
This is baloney. Any white American with distant ancestry can say the same thing. My ancestry is predominately British and Irish (I only know this from genetic testing), but 400 years makes for many European ancestors and my ancestry is scattered from all over Western Europe which composed different cultures and languages and sects of the Christian religion. That's despite all my ancestor came to America prior to 1870 most much earlier. They simply assimilated. That's not "ethnic and culture beaten out of them". You are arguing both ends against the middle. Of course johnny come lately immigrants are going to be able to point to the original culture, nation and identity.

Color has nothing to do with it and no one is trying to keep blacks or anyone else from assimilating. It's about being a distant genetic group and not wanting and not able to assimilate. Blacks simply want to take over. Let's tell the truth. It's blacks who have a black skin/white skin racism.

Last edited by mtl1; 09-24-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,607,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
This is baloney. Any white American with distant ancestry can say the same thing. My ancestry is predominately British and Irish (I only know this from genetic testing), but 400 years makes for many European ancestors and my ancestry is scattered from all over Western Europe which composed different cultures and languages and sects of the Christian religion. That's despite all my ancestor came to America prior to 1870 most much earlier. They simply assimilated. That's not "ethnic and culture beaten out of them". You are arguing both ends against the middle. Of course johnny come lately immigrants are going to be able to point to the original culture, nation and identity.

Color has nothing to do with it and no one is trying to keep blacks or anyone else from assimilating. It's about being a distant genetic group and not wanting and not able to assimilate. Blacks simply want to take over. Let's tell the truth. It's blacks who have a black skin/white skin racism.
You really believe blacks want to take over ? You ignore the laws that were on the books for the majority of US history that prevented blacks from enjoying their freedom in this country up until the middle of the 20 th century. Well if it makes you feel better I have never heard blacks express a desire to take over. Nor have hispanics. Nor have other immigrants like your ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies