Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:20 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,468,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Did you pay the tax penalty or get an exemption due to not carrying health insurance? If so you could be among the 20 million Americans who will be getting a letter in the mail soon from the IRS "encouraging" (scaring) you to buy health insurance. Forbes Welcome

This seems like a very heavy handed and inappropriate move via the government in order to try and force people to buy a product from a private corporation that they may not even be able to afford.

What do you think?
I think it's fine to force people to purchase health insurance, because when they get in an accident and bust their ass, they will immediately run to the ER and demand lots of "free" expensive care they didn't pay for and that other health insurance carriers will pay for.

Everyone should have to pay into health insurance, same as everyone pays into other kinds of basic services. And the whole premise behind solvency of the system is that you pay in BEFORE you need the expensive care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,251,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Just curious. Do you have a car and auto insurance?
Yes.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think it's fine to force people to purchase health insurance, because when they get in an accident and bust their ass, they will immediately run to the ER and demand lots of "free" expensive care they didn't pay for and that other health insurance carriers will pay for.

Everyone should have to pay into health insurance, same as everyone pays into other kinds of basic services. And the whole premise behind solvency of the system is that you pay in BEFORE you need the expensive care.
It's NOT O.K. when we are wasting trillions overseas which could be far better used here for healthcare. Its' NOT O.K. when it was passed entirely by being underhanded and lying about it.

Everyone is NOT paying now. Those who got "free" E.R. care before still are not paying anything and taxpayers are still going to pay as they can not afford their co-pays and deductibles and aren't going to pay them just like before.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:55 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,307,816 times
It depends on your situation. If you don't want to pay a fine either get the insurance or raise your dependents and get a zero refund. If you are in good health and you don't want to purchase then don't get it because in a couple of years Obamacare is toast. Obamacare is a bomb that will explode no mater who the next President is. Its days are numbered.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Did you pay the tax penalty or get an exemption due to not carrying health insurance? If so you could be among the 20 million Americans who will be getting a letter in the mail soon from the IRS "encouraging" (scaring) you to buy health insurance. Forbes Welcome

This seems like a very heavy handed and inappropriate move via the government in order to try and force people to buy a product from a private corporation that they may not even be able to afford.

What do you think?
I would hope so .. there are no unnecessary free rides.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:33 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,061,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm literally sitting here laughing at all the twits that supported this thinking they'll get free healthcare and then Obama delayed the penalties until after the re-election to avoid the eventual backlash.
Obama said he would give us poor people free healthcare when he was campaigning. I voted for him in both elections. Starting in January 2014, I got free healthcare and continue to get it. Obama promised and delivered on this one. I have no idea what you're laughing at.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,778,953 times
Quote:
Can we re-title this thread "I want to go uninsured until there is a problem and then stick everyone else with the bill"?
No. That's not even close to the topic of the thread. Try again.

Quote:
This only really impacts you if you're somebody that not only doesn't pay any taxes but winds up getting money back from everyone else that does.

So, basically not only do you want some of my tax dollars still.....you want me to pick up the tab in case you need medical care in the future....without reducing the tax dollars I give you annually.

Wow. My kids aren't even that grabby for cash.

This is starting to sound like non-genetic child support.
Again, read the article in the original post. You still have no idea what the topic of this thread is. By the way, the IRS collected $3 million dollars in tax penalties from the tax paying citizens who paid their taxes and their tax penalty. ObamaCare Individual Mandate Fine Hit 8 Million People In 2016 | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

Those are the tax paying and penalty paying citizens who will be expecting the IRS to illegally share their tax info with HHS so that letters can be sent soliciting business for the insurance companies. Do you really think that the people who paid a tax penalty have no idea that they can buy health insurance (that is, if they can afford it). This "letter writing campaign from HHS and the IRS will be paid with your tax dollars as well as theirs. Great use of funds?

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-24-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
If you have no bank accounts, or any assets of value, I see no reason to pay a fine, unless you're employed and wage garnishing that they will do in a heartbeat(FICA is wage garnishment) They are not going to throw anyone in jail over not paying the fine, that would be a cost that would never recoup.

They will just take your assets to pay the bill.

If you are self employed, getting paid cash and take public transportation, walk or ride a cheap bike and rent or stay in a tent, government will never touch you.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,292,351 times
I pay about $5500 for my Bronze plan. That is an unfair Chuck of change considering I have to spend another $6500 deductable before getting care.

President Obama lied, I never saw lower costs and $2000 savings back to my family. We say an additional $5000 a year in burden compared to before Obamacare, plus we all lost our doctor.

Unless you can prove an Obamacare silver plan costs more than 8% of your income you are screwed. Only if expenses exceed 8%, you are a Muslim or illegal are you exempt.

Yes, Obama put his favorite Muslims in the law as excluded.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,292,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you have no bank accounts, or any assets of value, I see no reason to pay a fine, unless you're employed and wage garnishing that they will do in a heartbeat(FICA is wage garnishment) They are not going to throw anyone in jail over not paying the fine, that would be a cost that would never recoup.

They will just take your assets to pay the bill.

If you are self employed, getting paid cash and take public transportation, walk or ride a cheap bike and rent or stay in a tent, government will never touch you.
They will chase your estate and income taxes if any.
If married that works against you if your retired and the spouse works, that could cost you another $4000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies