Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Why doesn't the US join the EU or have a similar union in relation to the US and the Americas.

You could have a single North American currency called the Peso Dollar, could have an international court that could over rule all US Courts and the US Constitution on all matters, you could have a new flag representing the people of Canada, America and Mexico, you could have free movement of all people across all of North America and encourage South American migrants and refugees from the rest of the world and could work towards a federal North and South America.

No -Then stop telling the British people what to do as aome Americans just sound like hypocrites. Indeed the US is building walls and clamping down on immigration and refusing to enter international deals, imposing tariffs and doesn't adhere to any international law but like to tell other nations to do the opposite. :mad:
I wouldn't be against that.

Assuming the rules for joining are similar of those of the EU as shown below, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it.

EU Criteria to join:

"Membership requires that candidate country has achieved stability of institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights, respect for and protection of minorities, the existence of a functioning market economy as well as the capacity to cope with competitive pressure and market forces within the Union. Membership presupposes the candidate's ability to take on the obligations of membership including adherence to the aims of political, economic and monetary union."

Unfortunately few members of Central and South America meet those standards yet.

It's YOUR sides' Champion in the white House who is doing all that - NOT MINE. I don't want the great orange-headed buffoon in office - and I agree with almost nothing he's done - and he WON'T be there much longer.

Ken

Old 03-22-2019, 11:43 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Two years into Obama's presidency, there were plenty of us who were quite dissatisfied by his governance. Should we have had a redo of that vote too? (I could ask the same about the Trump presidency, except that I know that there are plenty of people who would be A-OK with redoing that vote -- many of whom would be aghast at the idea of redoing the Obama vote.)
We did have another vote, in 2012. And President Obama was comfortably reelected, so obviously you were in the minority.

Unlike the U.S. presidential election, the Brexit vote is not Constitutionally mandated. They can hold it any time they like. The idiots who are in control right now won't allow it, though, because they know people have soured on it due to the government's ineptness and lack of any kind of plan, and that Brexit would fail on a second vote.

We here in the States can undo our grave error in 2020. The Brits look like they will be stuck with theirs because the leavers--who are the counterpart of Trump supporters here, in favor of tearing everything down to spite those they hate--won't allow them to change course before it's too late.

The chaos in the U.K. is a great lesson to us here across the pond of what happens when you allow the inmates to take over the asylum.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
We did have another vote, in 2012. And President Obama was comfortably reelected, so obviously you were in the minority.

Unlike the U.S. presidential election, the Brexit vote is not Constitutionally mandated. They can hold it any time they like. The idiots who are in control right now won't allow it, though, because they know people have soured on it due to the government's ineptness and lack of any kind of plan, and that Brexit would fail on a second vote.

We here in the States can undo our grave error in 2020. The Brits look like they will be stuck with theirs because the leavers--who are the counterpart of Trump supporters here, in favor of tearing everything down to spite those they hate--won't allow them to change course before it's too late.

The chaos in the U.K. is a great lesson to us here across the pond of what happens when you allow the inmates to take over the asylum.
Yup. I agree with all that above.
In the final analysis it's the people of UK who will end up with the consequences. I suspect those consequences will be BAD, but no one knows for sure, so what happens, happens. I have NO say in the matter, only a personal opinion. To me, this event - along with the election of that dimwit Donald J (for "jenius") Trump - is a cautionary tale of WHY people need to VOTE. If folks don't vote (or more to the point, if not enough of them vote) - BAD things happen. The vote for Brexit - like the election of Trump - didn't happen because MORE PEOPLE wanted those results. They happened because the people that wanted those results were MORE MOTIVATED to actually VOTE than those who didn't.

Ken

Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
.... Trump ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
..... Donald J (for "jenius") Trump..... .....Trump .......
Boys, we get the derangement. This topic is about the UK & BRexit.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Boys, we get the derangement. This topic is about the UK & BRexit.
And yet WHO did you talk about right HERE?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed. No mistake they are the same ones posting on other topics bleating about the "popular vote" and tearing up the UK Constitution because their ideology got voted out by the people. They are particularly incensed that Obama got mixed up in BRexit and was rejected.

It's good to see the globalists like Obama, Macron, Merkel, etc fail and are on their way out.
Pot, meet kettle.

Ken

Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:

Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be against that.

Assuming the rules for joining are similar of those of the EU as shown below, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it.

EU Criteria to join:

"Membership requires that candidate country has achieved stability of institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights, respect for and protection of minorities, the existence of a functioning market economy as well as the capacity to cope with competitive pressure and market forces within the Union. Membership presupposes the candidate's ability to take on the obligations of membership including adherence to the aims of political, economic and monetary union."

Unfortunately few members of Central and South America meet those standards yet.

It's YOUR sides' Champion in the white House who is doing all that - NOT MINE. I don't want the great orange-headed buffoon in office - and I agree with almost nothing he's done - and he WON'T be there much longer.

Ken
I am British, and do not have any Champion in the White House.

US Law and the US Constitution would itself prevent the US from every becoming part of a oganisation such as the EU or to surrender legal and political power to such an organisation.

So it's a bit rich to tell us to join an organisation than the US could and would never legally join.

Finally what's your issue with the UK leaving, as firstly the US is not going to be adversely effected indeed it may get a better trade deal with the UK outside of the EU and secondly Americans are not going to feel much impact either way.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
And yet WHO did you talk about right HERE?

Ken
Obama was a very real part of BRexit. He was asked by Cameron to make a speech to the British to scare them to vote against it. This was the result....
Obama infuriates the Brits as he threatens to send UK 'to the back of the queue' if they vote to leave the European Union
So what I posted is very relevant since the same nonsense is being spewed up again today. You are posting about Trump Supporters i.e. simple TDS. Has nothing to do with this topic.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am British, and do not have any Champion in the White House.

US Law and the US Constitution would itself prevent the US from every becoming part of a oganisation such as the EU or to surrender legal and political power to such an organisation.

So it's a bit rich to tell us to join an organisation than the US could and would never legally join.

Finally what's your issue with the UK leaving, as firstly the US is not going to be adversely effected indeed it may get a better trade deal with the UK outside of the EU and secondly Americans are not going to feel much impact either way.
Democrat leftists here in the USA would happily have the US join organizations that diminish our sovereignty, put us under the thumb of corrupt multi-national bureaucracies and tyrannical dictatorships, and that obligate us to make gargantuan funding commitments to the globalist establishment elites pet projects (including themselves) at the never ending expense of American taxpayers.

Leftists here hate this country. They will lie and deny that. But action speaks louder than words and their behavior speaks for itself.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:44 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:

Not a fair comparison. The U.S. presidential election is scheduled to take place every four years. But the Brexit vote was only supposed to happen once. It's hardly fair for the Remain side to fuss and whine about a do-over, just because they don't like the outcome of the first one.

And don't you think you're overblowing the issue just a little bit? I'm not in England, but still, I haven't been hearing about any chaos, other than in Parliament. And that seems to be mainly due to the Remainers in that body who are trying desperately to thwart the will of the democratically expressed will of the majority, without looking like they're doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies