Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 05:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, we do. I've posted extensively on that, providing a lot of historical facts and info.
What makes you think the 14th amendment is being misinterpreted from it's original meaning? I don't recall coming across any of your posts that lays this out... Nor have I read anything personally published by John Bingham outlining his intentions for the 14th amendment to only cover people born in America of American parents. The defeated Confederates ****** and moaned about the 14th amendment just like the Neo-Confederates are doing today...

Last edited by SHABAZZ310; 10-05-2016 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 06:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What makes you think the 14th amendment is being misinterpreted from it's original meaning? I don't recall coming across any of your posts that lays this out... Nor have I read anything personally published by John Bingham outlining his intentions for the 14th amendment to only cover people born in America of American parents. The defeated Confederates ****** and moaned about the 14th amendment just like the noe-confederates are doing today...
You'll never get what you are asking from InformedConsent. The 14th Amendment is correctly interpreted to establish birthright citizenship.

Recognizing that citizenship for freed slaves was an object of the 14th, requiring an "American parent" for birthright citizenship would not work: slaves were born to people who were not considered citizens at law when slaves were born. You are right to point at Confederate opposition in considering the meaning of the 14th. The 14th was crafted to avoid efforts by ex-Confederates to undermine the citizenship of freed slaves.

All persons born in the US & subject to US jurisdiction are US citizens. People who are present in the United States, other than diplomats, are subject to US jurisdiction.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it wouldn't.

More historical fact:

"Section 1 of the 14th amendment to the Constitution declares that "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. But the word "jurisdiction" must be understood to mean absolute and complete jurisdiction, such as the United States had over its citizens before the adoption of this amendment. Aliens, among whom are persons born here and naturalized abroad, dwelling or being in this country, are subject to the jurisdiction of the United States only to a limited extent. Political and military rights and duties do not pertain to them" - The Honorable George H. Williams, United State Attorney General, in 1873
https://books.google.com/books?id=3FwLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA300&lpg=PA300&dq=expatr iation+foreign+domicile+citizenship+%2B+%22must+be +understood%22&source=bl&ots=mOYQSc9VYM&sig=kc02xX KfYc4fUWHcoCi58NaKV3Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipzMj5 08TPAhVEVj4KHXh6CgkQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=expatriat ion%20foreign%20domicile%20citizenship%20%2B%20%22 must%20be%20understood%22&f=false

The intention of the 14th Amendment is quite clear. There are plenty of sources from the late 19th century citing exactly the same thing. And it has never been changed. It's only been fairly recently misinterpreted, and quite egregiously so.

The necessity of passing The Indian Citizenship Act of 1924, further demonstrates that merely being born in the U.S. is insufficient to acquire birthright citizenship.
The entire reason for the 14th amendment is long gone. There is no child of a slave alive any longer.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
I don't like the proposal. The illegal alien parent(s) and the child have to go back together. The child is a dependent minor and has the foreign citizenship of the illegal alien parents even if we wrongly assume the child is also a US citizen, and they have to go where their parents go at least until they reach the age of majority 18.

The illegal alien parents are not or should not be given time to find someone to adopt or take legal custody of the child before deportation.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:43 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
You have high hopes. To expect the judicial branch to change what they've been doing for many years is putting your hopes in the wrong basket.. And no one alive knows how it was "intended". You weren't alive back then...
are you claiming the 14th was NOT written expressly for the purpose of recognizing ex slaves as US citizens?
cite your sources.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
are you claiming the 14th was NOT written expressly for the purpose of recognizing ex slaves as US citizens?
cite your sources.
Not only that in 1868 to 1870s very few immigrants and almost entirely NW European at that or illegals or just people entering in general were entering the US.

Today we receive more legal and illegal immigrants every 2 years or so than came during the almost 200 year colonial era.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
cite your sources.
The 14th amendment was written to prevent racist whites from preventing people born on US soil the right to be a us citizen. We had major issues with racist whites in the 1800s and we seem to have a similar issue today.. This is pretty easy to understand...

Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
The 14th amendment was written to prevent racist whites from preventing people born on US soil the right to be a us citizen. We had major issues with racist whites in the 1800s and we seem to have a similar issue today.. This is pretty easy to understand...
So almost all of the world that doesn't acknowledge birthright citizenship today "racist whites"? The point is the 14th wasn't intended for mass illegal immigrants.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So almost all of the world that doesn't acknowledge birthright citizenship today "racist whites"? The point is the 14th wasn't intended for mass illegal immigrants.
My post was to the point and very specific. I said exactly what I meant so don't try and put words in my mouth. I'm talking about the 14th amendment to the US constitution.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
My post was to the point and very specific. I said exactly what I meant so don't try and put words in my mouth. I'm talking about the 14th amendment to the US constitution.
Yep you said it, but you said it was still a problem today. So is ending birthright citizenship "white racism" or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies