Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Columbus Day 100 68.49%
Indigenous Peoples' Day 46 31.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:35 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't disagree really, but I meant everyone non-Indian claiming they stand with Indians not just European descent, and you make it sound like despite shrinking Indian's territory Americans didn't and don't have respect or any admiration for American Indians. And you want to know a big reason why they do have respect? It's because we don't always hear them complaining and blaming and they wanted to be independent.

Many places and other entities were officially given Indian names in the US out of sentimentality and respect. An Indian team name or mascot is done out of admiration and respect contrary to what liberals claim.
The mascot issue is totally different. I am very far from being a liberal in the context of American politics. Indeed, even with team names like the Washington Redskins, it's a fake issue promoted by cultural Marxists. I can't imagine being offended by that if I were Native American. And it seems most aren't:

Redskins: Most Native Americans Not Offended by Team Name

Columbus Day is a totally different matter.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:29 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

Native American is an ethnic term. It's synonymous with American Indian, Indigenous, and a few other possibilities. In Canada, First Nation is sometimes used. Regardless, Native American does not, in the context I was using it, mean native to America. It's a reference to the people that had been a cultural majority in what in entire Western Hemisphere for several thousand years prior to European colonization. You are a native American, in the sense that you were born in America. That is entirely distinct from being a Native American as a cultural identifier. I also sincerely doubt this is actually news to you; you just thought you were being clever.
No, I wasn't being clever. Far too many think that the Indians were native to the Americas besides being an ethnic/cultural thing.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
There will never be a mass exodus of European descendants from the Americans. The past cannot be undone. Most Native peoples have suffered irreparable harm. It is best not to have this kind of "all or nothing" mentality, however, since there are ways to foster greater respect for the dignity Native Americans.

The descendants of the indian tribes that settled within our borders are all full fledged U.S. citizens with all the rights of other citizens while still retaining some of their tribal lands. I don't call them Native Americans because they weren't native to the Americas they migrated here just as the Europeans did when there were no immigration laws, established governments or land ownership. Being here first (if they were) does not make them native.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Stupidity is "standing with the Native Americans by standing against Columbus Day" but then ignoring the significant problems they face the other 364 days of the year - the lowest life expectancy of any racial group, a fertility rate barely above 1, substance abuse. But I also don't view removing Columbus Day as an attack on White history, he wasn't even the first White man to discover the New World, Leaf Erickson's Vikings were. He also wasn't the first White man to establish a settlement on mainland North America.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Columbus, isn't he the idiot that got blocked by another continent while trying to sail to China?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, I wasn't being clever. Far too many think that the Indians were native to the Americas besides being an ethnic/cultural thing.
What do you mean "besides being an ethic" thing? What else is there? No humans evolved in Europe, Australia, East Asia, South Africa, or the Western Hemisphere. Humans evolved in North Africa. Does this mean that this is the only place humans have valid claims over? No. Cultural history is what's important. By this line of logic, Native Americans are effectively native to the Americas. They've been here longer than Europeans have, even if we start counting the days of when the first Europeans arrived here, which predates Columbus by several centuries.

At this point, Europeans have valid claims to stay. I can't do anything other than laugh at the absurdity of people saying "well, if you support them so much why don't you back to Europe?" What a ****ing dumb **** thing to say (and no, I am definitely not accusing you of saying or thinking this). I am of English and German decent; I have no valid claim to live there. None. I do not share their culture. I am an American. This means of course I am a native America, but this is distinct from a Native American, who are equally American in their own right. The cultural diversity of America and indeed the whole Western hemisphere (and Australia) is deeply complex. Other places have it too, but it's much more complicated here. French culture is far easier to define than American culture, which even among European decedents is pretty damn far from universal.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Columbus Date is the most inconsistently recognized holiday in the US.

It's a Federal Holiday which means it's a day off for Federal employees, banks and bond markets.

The stock and commodities markets do not observe.

Fewer than half the state's recognise the holiday and it's business as usual.

Tennessee chooses to observe it on the day after Thanksgiving.

Columbus and company were a nasty bunch who raped, pillaged and exterminated throughout the New World.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:56 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It's Columbus Day.
Columbus never stepped foot on the mainland continent of North America. He discovered Haiti, if I remember. Somewhere in the islands, but NOT the continent of North America proper.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Always stand against white supremacy.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:13 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm partial to this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...(United_States)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies