Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Looking at the videos posted by callipoppy and how blacks dressed makes me think about when I went to my 10 year high school reunion in 2015. I graduated from a predominantly white school. Most of the guys were in polos and jeans. The ladies had on evening cocktail dresses. I have on my Sundays best. I felt overdressed! I find for certain occasions we as blacks tend to overdress for. We pull out the sunday clothes for weddings, graduations, and the like while our white counterparts don't make such a huge deal about this. I was talking with mom about this, she tells me it goes back to Saturday (if you were going into town to pay bills) or Sunday (if you were going to church)being the one day we could put on something nice and feel good about about ourselves. What do you think?

In my parents' generation and earlier, everyone dressed as well as they could for those same events. Nobody deliberately "dressed down."

However, it should be noted that the upper classes always had clothing specific to each event: An afternoon wedding called for one level of dress, an evening wedding called for a different level, and the upper class had both outfits. The upper class had different leisurewear specific to different leisure activities.

"Dressing down" for whites came with the Boomer Generation. Blacks have held on to it a bit longer.

This appears to be the first period in at least a hundred years that young white men in general dress more fly than young black men.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Bad choices lead to that. This is why I am an advocate for abstinence. It is better to have one's children in wedlock. It is better to wait until one is married to have children. Or if abstinence isn't considered an option, use protection.
Third Wave Feminism taught women in the 80s that being a single mother was just fine...preferable, even.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
Default "Pro-blacks" who live in predominantly white areas

What do you think of SJWs and pro blacks who show nothing but contempt from r the white race but then choose to live in areas where they are literally surrounded by them? Do you think it's a case of Stockholm syndrome? Do you think that they really serve the black community well?

EXHIBIT A: This YouTuber is a black seperatist, yet she lives in Seattle, WA. She appears like she goes out of her way to appear European and offers no real solutions to the black community.

https://m.youtube.com/user/cyngre

Doesn't it just appear that she's a walking, talking contradiction?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I wonder if that kind of community would be as vulnerable today if it were established?
Good question. I think a result of integration is that a generation of whites would no longer be threatened by it.

You have to understand that whites prior to the Civil Rights Era were taught that they had to maintain dominance over blacks just because.

This was not a simple bigotry against anyone who was not white. The bigotry of the white system specifically against blacks was very specific, very targeted, and very consistent.

That's why, for instance, so many anti-miscegenation laws permitted marriages between all other races except blacks. Black people--in particular--were the targets of white bigotry, more consistently and more intently than any other race.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Do you feel that when it comes to self hatred and colorism that there is still a lot of healing that has not happened yet? The dark skin vs light skin still IMO is a problem in the black community today. Do you find that dark skinned black women suffer with this insecurity more than dark skinned black men? Why or why not? How do you about black women who perm their hair? How about those who wear wigs, weaves, and extensions?
Colorism appears to be more of a problem now than ever.

In the past, yes being light-skinned was favored in many ways, but light skin never got anyone known as "negro" past a "Whites Only" sign. Lena Horne got to entertain whites in white clubs, but she still had to pee in a Dixie cup because they wouldn't let her use the club ladies room.

A white woman with a "biracial" child lost her white card and her child was not regarded as "white," but as black. "Biracial" had no social meaning. Being half white didn't get you past any "Whites Only" signs either.

So historically, colorism had always been tempered by the knowledge that to white people, we were all just n!99ers.

That changed in the 80s, primarily because interracial marriages spiked and white mothers of biracial children no longer lost their "white cards." Unlike previous eras, a white woman in the 80s could walk into a school with her black child and still exercise her white privilege. The child no longer had to be "black" but could be something "other."

And society has accommodated that "other." The US is today cultivating the same concept that apartheid South Africa had: The concept of the "Colored" social category.

And that is making colorism worse than it ever was, the fact that being light-skinned now makes more of a social difference than it ever did, now being officially recognized by whites.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Default The New Black

Many blacks were upset with Pharrell Williams when he talked about "The New Black". How do you feel about the new Black and what does the new Black mean to you?

How Pharrell Williams Finally Made It to the Top - The Daily Beast

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ack-experience

Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
According to some sources the black man never could control his penis. In fact, I came across a black female youtuber by the name of msarchduchess who basically said black men will screw anything (followed by a video clip of a black man having sex with a tree). The comments that accompanies the video were disturbing to say the least. One comment stated that black men's lack of self control was the reason that white Jen were cutting black men's penises off (so that black men wouldn't rape white women).
You don't want to know all the things white men will insert their penises into.

I don't know about that "cutting off black men's penises" stuff. I never heard of that ever being a "thing." White men generally killed black men, not merely mutilating them.

And even if it were a "thing," white paranoia over black hyperrsexuality would not be evidence of actual black hypersexuality.

And for that matter, whites considered black women just as hypersexual, with the result being that white men felt justified in raping black women whenever they desired. Raping a black woman was not considered any more than uncouth in white society, inasmuch as black women "wanted it" anyway.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
I tend to be a rather observant person. I believe that we are all human beings but I do recognize wen I'm virtually the only black guy in the room.

FWIW, race/ethnicity has always been something that interested me, even as a kid.
I can see that. I remember something similar. I remember moving to a different school district just before 6th grade started. I could literally feel the presence of being the only Black kid in the class. No one had to remind me. I could just look around and see. This wasn't the first time. This happened in Kindergarten, but I was 5. I didn't think about stuff like that. After living in different places as a kid, seeing different kinds of people, I got a new perspective on human beings, and being human. Different, but similar.

Race and ethnicity was not something I consciously thought about until I reached my adolescent years. The schools had Black History Month, we learned about slavery, segregation, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. That stuff felt so far away back in the 1990s. The diverse 1990s. TV channels showing the diversity of us as human beings. Nickleodeon showing how children in other parts of the world live, showing the diversity of the USA. PBS having shows like Ghostwriter, Barney and Friends, showing this: Different, yet more similar. In particular, the mid 1990s. I never heard of the LA riots(they happened when I was 6). I only heard about the O.J Simpson trial in passing. If I had been 11 or 12, it would have likely stuck in my mind. 8, 9 years old, what did I watch on the TV? Nickelodeon, PBS(the kids stuff), maybe the local channels when TGIF was on Friday night, the Weather Channel.

Race was something I thought of, but it wasn't like it affected it. It was interesting, but I never thought of it in terms of how I might be affected by it. This didn't occur to me until I was in middle school. It was being in a place where Confederate flags flew in some people's yards that I figured this out. It wasn't until I dealt with racial bullying when I had to think about it. It was my father reminding me in my middle school years that there were certain ways I could not behave because it was reflect badly on me as a Black person. I understood that people were people. I also got some reminders, some of them bad, that many people do not think that way.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You don't want to know all the things white men will insert their penises into. To keep the overall peaceful tone of this thread, I won't go there lol.

I don't know about that "cutting off black men's penises" stuff. I never heard of that ever being a "thing." White men generally killed black men, not merely mutilating them.

And even if it were a "thing," white paranoia over black hyperrsexuality would not be evidence of actual black hypersexuality.

And for that matter, whites considered black women just as hypersexual, with the result being that white men felt justified in raping black women whenever they desired. Raping a black woman was not considered any more than uncouth in white society, inasmuch as black women "wanted it" anyway.
Further more a black man could be killed for merely LOOKING at a white woman; it wasn't uncommon for a white female to claim rape to avoid shame, if you get my drift.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
For one, I'd like to see the elderly and the disabled members be treated better on this program. They live on a fixed income and often have to choose between their food and their medicine. ALSO, I think these work programs need to be more enforced. Sometimes there is no good cause (justification) for not participating.
The elderly are particularly vulnerable. I agree with that. People who worked hard their whole lives. Choosing between food and medicine isn't living.

I do agree with people working. Enforcement needs to be done. Those programs are to be there for those who are trying to get on their feet or as a supplement. They aren't meant to be used to live on the dole permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies