Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,228,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Third Wave Feminism taught women in the 80s that being a single mother was just fine...preferable, even.
Not to mention the government aid that actually made it more beneficial for the man to not be in the home (or for the woman to PRETEND that he was absent from the home). I don't have a problem with government aide but it shouldn't be a way of life.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Further more a black man could be killed for merely LOOKING at a white woman; it wasn't uncommon for a white female to claim rape to avoid shame, if you get my drift.
The Rosewood Massacre and the Greenwood Massacre are what come up in my mind. There was no actual proof that a Black man raped a White woman. Just word of mouth. In the case of Greenwood, Tulsa, the female in question never pressed charged. One thing that was known is that the two parties involved knew each other. Whether or not they were lovers was something that could have been speculated. However, if the two were lovers, that was something that would have brought shame to the woman.

In both instances, an accusation, no proof, was enough for the bigoted types to get mobilized and destroy Black communities.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Many blacks were upset with Pharrell Williams when he talked about "The New Black". How do you feel about the new Black and what does the new Black mean to you?

How Pharrell Williams Finally Made It to the Top - The Daily Beast

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ack-experience
Quote:
“The New Black dreams and realizes that it’s not pigmentation: it’s a mentality, and it’s either going to work for you or it’s going to work against you. And you’ve got to pick the side you’re going to be on,” Pharrell said.
Well, if you look back at history, entertainment is one area that whites have long tolerated seeing more blacks involved. I don't really respect the opinions of a black entertainer about the general social position of black people based on his experience as an entertainer.

In the past, black entertainers understood that their experience said nothing about the experiences of the average black man. That's because when they went "back home," they still could not pass a sign that said "Whites Only."

I work with a lot of blacks who are senior managers and vice-presidents of a Fortune 50 company, and you won't find them repeating Williams' comment, except in derision.

Those senior managers and vice-presidents--of the same Boomer Generation as the white leadership--are perfectly aware that those attitudes have not changed within their generation to this day. They are in the same struggle this very day with the same people that they've been in combat with since the 60s.

None of the 40-somethings in corporate American I know feel that pigmentation means nothing in their worlds. My 37-year-old son will certainly tell you that his pigmentation is a factor as a regional manager of a national department store chain.

If Willams does not understand what the world is like outside his bubble, I guess that's evidence of some partial advancement.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 03-19-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Do you feel that when it comes to self hatred and colorism that there is still a lot of healing that has not happened yet? The dark skin vs light skin still IMO is a problem in the black community today. Do you find that dark skinned black women suffer with this insecurity more than dark skinned black men? Why or why not? How do you about black women who perm their hair? How about those who wear wigs, weaves, and extensions?
I think that does exist. It was nothing I grew up with. However, my mother and father grew up with it. My father is dark, and my mother is light(she has been mistaken for Hispanic a few times). They both dealt with colorism. This was in the 60s and 70s. Today, it likely still is. There is still colorism going on. I have heard it more with women than men. I have never seen it in my personal life. I haven't seen it in my family. However, I have heard on it from certain youtubers. It tells me it still exists.

On the other hand, it might be more subtle. My sister is the darkest between us siblings. She has been told she is pretty many times. However, it was rarely from Black men. Most of the time, it was Whites

Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Not to mention the government aid that actually made it more beneficial for the man to not be in the home (or for the woman to PRETEND that he was absent from the home). I don't have a problem with government aide but it shouldn't be a way of life.
That was item #4 that I listed.

The law in question, the 1939 Aid To Dependent Children had long existed, but bigoted local administration had prevented black women from taking advantage of it. That was the one major factor in increased black single motherhood caused by the CRA--which gave black women equal access to ADC.

That was not unknown to black people. In fact, in the popular 70s movie "Claudine" (starring Diane Carroll and James Earl Jones), the ADC Act is the antagonist of the plot.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Appreciation and let's continue.

I would just like to say how much I appreciate the civility of this thread. I didn't think it would go this far when I initially started it. In my opinion this thread is MUCH needed and very much overdue. With that in mind, I'd like to welcome all recent posters in the thread (hope you continue to comment) and say let's keep this discussion going.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,545,964 times
Quote:
Do you feel that when it comes to self hatred and colorism that there is still a lot of healing that has not happened yet? The dark skin vs light skin still IMO is a problem in the black community today. Do you find that dark skinned black women suffer with this insecurity more than dark skinned black men? Why or why not? How do you about black women who perm their hair? How about those who wear wigs, weaves, and extensions?

I think that in order to have this discussion honestly you would have to broaden the self hatred issues and ask equal questions regarding black men.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I think that in order to have this discussion honestly you would have to broaden the self hatred issues and ask equal questions regarding black men.
Not doubting that many black men have self hatred issues (Tommy Sotomayor enough said). I asked about black women in that instance because, black men don't seem to make as big of an issue when a dark skinned black woman dates black man with light skin as black women do when a dark man dates a black woman of a lighter complexion.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
How exactly did your great grandfather accumulate that? Was he a farmer?

Also, in this thread we discussed black platforms. How do you feel about these nonprofit organizations and platforms by blacks to raise awareness of their contributions?

My great grandfather was a farmer; he had a grocery cart (he would sell produce in town to white and black residents and to the local hotel/restaurants). He also grew and sold corn, cotton and (I think) soybeans crops and had livestock.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Not doubting that many black men have self hatred issues (Tommy Sotomayor enough said). I asked about black women in that instance because, black men don't seem to make as big of an issue when a dark skinned black woman dates black man with light skin as black women do when a dark man dates a black woman of a lighter complexion.

I think that self hatred issues in black men manifest in ways that are not as discernible as it seems to appear in black women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.