Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Back then they expected most immigrants to come from Europe. Things have changed.
back then you had to come in through proper channels, learn our language and were expected to assimilate into society. that is not what many coming in want or do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:53 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Trump wants an increase in immigrants, too (legal immigrants)- not necessarily refugees. I'd like to see a long timeout on most all immigration. There was such a timeout between 1924 and 1965. That permitted the new immigrants to assimilate. Immigrants (legal and illegal) are coming in so fast now that there is little time or space for assimilation. We will have masses of permanently unassimilated immigrants living in big city enclaves if things don't change.
He wants more legal immigrants but less illegal immigrants. That doesn't equal out to more immigrants. The Democrats have to buy votes to win their elections so that's why they like poor immigrants from a country like Mexico coming to the US. Legal immigrants are generally more affluent and come from Europe or Asia. Trump is 100 percent right on the immigration issue. The people that are trying to come to the country legally get screwed by the Democrats. If there wasn't so many illegal immigrants, we could let more people into the country legally.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:55 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Hillary wants a 500% increase in refugees. American citizens are not being told what real problems Europe is facing because of refugees. This couldn't be more serious. Watch this clip entitled "Europe is Burning" to see what she has in store for us
You should go over to the Religion and Spirituality forum and tell that to Mordant and others.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:12 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
These savages wound up in the wrong place. They should have landed in NYC where the ghetto gimme attitude is more than welcome. Serves NYC right. As for myself I live in a State that respects the 2A, so I'm good to go.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
These savages wound up in the wrong place. They should have landed in NYC where the ghetto gimme attitude is more than welcome. Serves NYC right. As for myself I live in a State that respects the 2A, so I'm good to go.
I made a post about that in the PA thread that got unfairly deleted... the ghetto gimme attitude is the only reason the Democrats win certain states. All they do is buy votes and they have it engineered with the media on their side everything that it's possible the Democrats will never lose another presidential election. Once a country turns into a country where all the politicians have to do is buy votes, the country is done for.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 960,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm just going to leave this here. It's some stupid words near another damn woman. Nothing that means anything in this country.

Basing a 21st century immigration policy on a sentimental 19th century poem is ridiculous. In my opinion, we need an immigration policy that benefits the United States and the American people. Legal immigration should be based on what an immigrant can contribute to this country, not what they can get out of it. There should be a point system based on needed skills, education, and English language ability. Chain migration needs to end. While spouses and children of course should be allowed in, there is no benefit to this country of bringing in elderly parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. The number of legal immigrants admitted in any one year should fluctuate with the economy and unemployment rate, with certain exceptions. There should also be some sort of criteria about an immigrant's ability to assimilate and adhere to our open and democratic society. This should exclude Muslim extremists/Salafists/Wahabbis. They should not be admitted to this country, just like neo-Nazis or white supremacists should not be admitted. If an immigrant does not believe in our democratic values, they don't belong here.

Laws against illegal immigration should be strictly enforced, with mandatory e-verify and substantial fines and/or jail time for employers who knowingly employ illegals. However, our system has been so screwed up for so long, I am OK with some form of amnesty for illegal immigrants who have been here for more than 5 years and have not committed any major crime. Once that is done, all recent illegal immigrants and all future ones should be subject to immediate deportation. We need to have secure borders and enforce our laws. The fact that that seems harsh to some people really has me baffled.

I think we should allow some refugees into this country, but it should be limited and also contingent on a more equitable international system of dealing with refugees, i.e., bringing in thousands of low skilled, poorly educated, difficult to assimilate Somalis while the wealthy Arab countries take zero should not be allowed to happen.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Basing a 21st century immigration policy on a sentimental 19th century poem is ridiculous. In my opinion, we need an immigration policy that benefits the United States and the American people. Legal immigration should be based on what an immigrant can contribute to this country, not what they can get out of it. There should be a point system based on needed skills, education, and English language ability. Chain migration needs to end. While spouses and children of course should be allowed in, there is no benefit to this country of bringing in elderly parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. The number of legal immigrants admitted in any one year should fluctuate with the economy and unemployment rate, with certain exceptions. There should also be some sort of criteria about an immigrant's ability to assimilate and adhere to our open and democratic society. This should exclude Muslim extremists/Salafists/Wahabbis. They should not be admitted to this country, just like neo-Nazis or white supremacists should not be admitted. If an immigrant does not believe in our democratic values, they don't belong here.

Laws against illegal immigration should be strictly enforced, with mandatory e-verify and substantial fines and/or jail time for employers who knowingly employ illegals. However, our system has been so screwed up for so long, I am OK with some form of amnesty for illegal immigrants who have been here for more than 5 years and have not committed any major crime. Once that is done, all recent illegal immigrants and all future ones should be subject to immediate deportation. We need to have secure borders and enforce our laws. The fact that that seems harsh to some people really has me baffled.

I think we should allow some refugees into this country, but it should be limited and also contingent on a more equitable international system of dealing with refugees, i.e., bringing in thousands of low skilled, poorly educated, difficult to assimilate Somalis while the wealthy Arab countries take zero should not be allowed to happen.
That's exactly how it should be but right now we have a policy that benefits the Democrats seeking election wins, nothing more.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
a conspiracy theorist might say that there is a coordinated effort to let illegals and refugees in so they can inbreed with the population and slowly but surely take over this once great country. fits right in with the globalist (Hillary) agenda.
I don't think there is one coordinated effort to do such, as in a major conspiracy. Like the climate science corruption issue, it is more of many parties working to a self interest that happens to be concerted in effort.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
back then you had to come in through proper channels, learn our language and were expected to assimilate into society. that is not what many coming in want or do.
Totally, that's why there's Chinatown, Little Italy and the Jewish Enclaves, just in NYC. Total assimilation...

Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Totally, that's why there's Chinatown, Little Italy and the Jewish Enclaves, just in NYC. Total assimilation...
Watch the pea folks....

He didn't say "total assimilation", rather what is being pointed out is assimilation to our laws, the concept of liberty, the various standards of American culture, the respect for our republican form of government. Small areas where people group together based on understood similarities is normal through any process, but go to those neighborhoods in the early days and you will see that while they bring various cultural ways with them, they still adapt and assimilate to the core concept to which this country stands.

Many people even in those sub communities attempted to become "American" respecting our culture, but still applying their own basic cultural aspects. The thing is, eating a certain way, dressing, or celebrating various holidays is not refusing to assimilate. American culture openly accepts additions, but it will not tolerate replacement.

This is why Islamic culture is not compatible with American culture because the very basis of its beliefs are at war with liberty and freedom. It must subjugate the masses under its rule, they must obey or be punished.

Go ahead though, tell us how Islam and its demands are similar to various other cultures of the past who have came to the US? We are all ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies