Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 623,188 times

Advertisements

Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

Who here owns a gun and who doesn't?
I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

So does everyone here own a gun? Why/ why not? ....

Old 11-07-2016, 06:21 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Yup when seconds matter, the police are only minutes away! Kind of like the reason for owning a fire extinguisher, you hope you never need to use it, but there if you need it.

Last edited by froglipz; 11-07-2016 at 06:37 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 06:21 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
As you say, depends how you were raised. No big deal if you don't own one your reasons are perfectly logical.

Personally I have always been around guns, LEOs in the family so in addition to inheriting guns I have some of my own. I don't feel I need them for protection, although if I lived in a dangerous area I would feel different.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:29 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Why? Because a police officer doesn't fit well into my nightstand drawer.

My 10 y.o. has two rifles of her own. She understands safe and proper handling and is quite proficient at hitting what she aims at.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Wanted to ask something-- maybe it's regarding something I've been naïve about all these years...

I'm sitting in my church small group and a general conversation starts up regarding someone going to the gun range. I thought no big deal. Next thing I find out of the five couples in the group my family is the only one without a gun. Hell I've never even fired a gun.

The guys in the group asked my wife if she was good with this? LOL. They said they own it for protection for their family. If I owned a gun probably one of two things would happen: 1) I'd shoot myself by accident 2) someone that shouldn't will get possession of it...lol

I guess its how I was raised. My dad never was into guns and neither was I. I guess I was just surprised about the reason people own guns-- I get hunting. But protection? I thought 911 was for that.

Own one for all occasions.
There are 4 hand guns in this household. 6 rifles of various calibers, and 4 shotguns. 1 crossbow and 4 stick & strings(3 with training wheels).

I have to ask, do you think the 2nd amendment just says, the right of the people to keep & bear arms?
Did you neglect the lead up to that part or the section afterward?
TO MAINTAIN THE FREE STATE. Meaning if you personally are being oppressed, you let the lead fly, to regain your freedom.

Rifles are used to commit crime at a fraction of handguns used. Yet the federal government wants the scary semi-auto rifles?? Guess why! The government fears 100 million snipers, when they PO the people. They could careless about the handguns, that are the people problem.

Last edited by BentBow; 11-07-2016 at 06:40 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 06:32 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I don't own a gun and never have. I have no interest in them. Other than being taught how to, shoot a rifle in AF Basic Training. I've had no other contact with guns.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:

i have been around guns pretty much all my life. i first started shooting back in the mid 60s when i was old enough to attend YMCA summer camp. my father taught me how to shoot, and the range instructor at the camp taught me how to shoot well. i even learned how to use a bow and arrow.

in addition to learning how to shoot, i learned a lot about gun safety as well. a good firearms instructor will not only teach you how to shoot, but how to do it safely as well. my firearms instructor was a former marine.

as for protection, the quote below says it best;

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Yup when seconds matter, the police are only minutes away!
cops are under no requirement to protect you from anything. they are there to take a report from the living, and collect evidence, write a report of the crime that happened, and possibly find the perpetrator and arrest them, among other things.

do you really expect a criminal to wait while you call 9-1-1 and then wait around for the cops to show up, and calmly let the cop handcuff them and put them into the back of the police car?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't own a gun and never have. I have no interest in them. Other than being taught how to, shoot a rifle in AF Basic Training. I've had no other contact with guns.
and this is not a bad attitude to have. in the end it is up to the individual to decide whether or not to own a firearm.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
911 is there to protect you?

"Hello, 911? Three armed men are about to break into my home and hurt my family. Could you kindly ring the police and have a patrol car sent to my home? I'll keep the bad men at bay with amusing anecdotes and folk music 'til they can get here".

Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:

Right, the Police are minutes away when seconds count. It sounds like you could be a little naïve on the subject or it is just a non issue for you. Think about it, there are over 300 million legal firearms across the country and some places seem to think that number has grown exponentially in the past 8 years. All I know the firearms industry is doing very well.
So with those kinds of numbers , that fact that more than a handful of people you know have at least one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies