Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:52 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Yes, interesting that when it comes to the flag, all of a sudden those who usually mock liberal types as 'snowflakes' and talk loudly about freedom of speech, now all of a sudden scream bloody murder. In addition, these types of people cheer on the burning of things like the Koran or flags of other nations they don't like.

Of course I value the flag and don't think it should be destroyed.

However, I don't agree with criminalizing such acts by law. I'm not gonna cry if an American flag burner gets beat to death, but again, we don't need such draconian laws AKA North Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 12:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Hm... Not too different from burning down your own house to voice dissatisfaction with your neighbors.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I read some of the comments and they're crying about their own marginalization or being "brown".

Um, the US military especially in the modern era is disproportionately represented by lower socio-economic groups and "brown" people. (Especially the ground troops that suffer the highest rates of injury etc.)

It seems that some of these people are so wrapped up in their own victimization that they have little empathy for anyone else.
When I was in my Father's house, I was taught that the military was the way for the less advantage to advance themselves. In the era around WW I, it was the immigrant. In the 50's, it was the Black. Around the 70's, it was starting for women.

Sigh, not too thrilled about this, but it's a few points I will have to give the protesters. They have the right to do such and they picked a wonderful time for grand effectiveness.

I just hope two things. First, that they particularly (and not all in fee increases) get billed for destroying what someone put money out for.

And secondly? That they get hit really hard in midterms and finals since they aren't around studying.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:33 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When I was in my Father's house, I was taught that the military was the way for the less advantage to advance themselves. In the era around WW I, it was the immigrant. In the 50's, it was the Black. Around the 70's, it was starting for women.

Sigh, not too thrilled about this, but it's a few points I will have to give the protesters. They have the right to do such and they picked a wonderful time for grand effectiveness.

I just hope two things. First, that they particularly (and not all in fee increases) get billed for destroying what someone put money out for.

And secondly? That they get hit really hard in midterms and finals since they aren't around studying.
Karma, eh?

However:

Colleges Cancelled Exams for Students Traumatized by Trump's Election - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 11-16-2016, 02:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Things like that can go both ways. It's nice if they cancelled the exam entirely and took it out of the score queue.

My experience has usually been the opposite where the amount the cancelled exam was is added to the final. It really sucks when there are only two weeks left in the semester and one still has something like 60% of their grade still to make.

Further, I've had to drop out of a class due my mother having a stroke (years past, she's now deceased) and received messages from the profs like this: "Tamara, I'm happy with the work you have done up to this point and will finish the semester with a "B"."

Being a good student throughout does have its benefits.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,273 times
A Conundrum.......Capitalists parents sending their kids to College at $50K a year to indoctrinate them into the Communist ideology.......

Old 11-16-2016, 04:57 PM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I'm laughing at the tender snowflakes who get their pretty pink panties in a twist every time somebody 'desecrates' a piece of cloth. A flag is a piece of cloth. So is a dishrag. The only difference is what's printed on it. Get over it. Toughen up. Quit being so PC.
It is a symbol! It is like your wedding ring just being a metal band or a tombstone being just a rock. When you disrespect the flag, you disrespect American beliefs, like equal opportunity. Then you disrespect the people who fought and/or died to keep them. People like veterans. I dare for these idiots to go to another country and try this with their flag.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Brave men and women died protecting what our flag represents. People who disrespect the American flag disgrace themselves.

animated gifs of american flag waving in the wind - Bing images

Old 11-16-2016, 05:29 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Brave men and women died protecting what our flag represents. People who disrespect the American flag disgrace themselves.
Pfft. It's a piece of cloth. America doesn't vanish when a piece of cloth gets burned.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:30 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
If these idiots feel oppressed, then they're free to fly elsewhere like Iraq or Syria.
Is that what you'd have told the Founders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies