Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSpears25 View Post
Hi I'm liberal and I see that a lot of conservatives consider us very anti-white and I would like to know what we can do to to change that view, what are some of the issues that concern the white population and what can we do to bring your vote back.
Leave the country for a non-white nation.

I recommend Saudi Arabia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 07:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Here is the problem. The coasts have absolutely nothing in common with the South. We are like aliens to each other. While they justify the electoral college by saying smaller states should have power over larger states, larger states look at those smaller states and think, what is the motivation to even deal with you? I seriously do not see how this country stays together after three or four more elections like this. There is just too big of a difference. They are like completely different countries and this election was so vicious that the coasts dislike the south and the middle more than ever and vice versa. They do not even speak the same language and after evangelicals elected Trump, any mention of religious whatever will only create eye rolls.
You are delusional. I live in CA and go inland A LOT and think inland CA has a lot in common with the rest of the country. I went to Temecula in Riverside Co and saw a lot of what would be divisively dubbed "good ol boys". I saw people in cowboy boots and wranglers, big trucks and American flags where. It was Americana. Nothing wrong with that. Why can't you libs TRULY celebrate diversity? It's not just "the south". Most if not all the country is COUNTRY. I don't know why CA thinks it's so different. Only coastal CA is truly unique and even there you'd find the same America as anywhere else.

Celebrate difference. You guys are such phonies when it comes to diversity.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:58 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We're anti-racism, but of course to those who participate in or deny the existence of racism, that makes us anti-white.
Good point, I am anti racism- but you could be green who hates the purples-- I am anti haters... !

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-28-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 07:58 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSpears25 View Post
Hi I'm liberal and I see that a lot of conservatives consider us very anti-white and I would like to know what we can do to to change that view, what are some of the issues that concern the white population and what can we do to bring your vote back.
I don't think the left is anti-white. I think the left discovered they could use identity politics as a tool to gain power.

I think that is sick and evil but that's just me.

I suppose the thing you could do as a liberal is look inside yourself. recognize that the altruism you attach to your desired outcome, does not mean your methods are moral, just or worthy.

I was blessed to have an old man in my life, that told me many years ago, if you do the right thing the wrong way, you are wrong.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm white and liberal as are most that I know. What I did resent were things like calling Michelle Obama Moochie and President Obama worse. The postcards with watermelons growing on the White House lawn, etc. Am I resentful of white people? Obviously not, I don't resent myself or those I know. But there is a segment of the country I do not feel I have anything in common with and never will. This election made that clearer than ever and I don't see it getting better.
Right those are called racists and they can be found anywhere and everywhere. You're just stereotyping through a very emotional lense. You have this narrative of the South/Midwest being racist and what not and want to scapegoat people you deem beneath you. You prolly look at anything Americana with disgust and think it's all bad because you think of it as "racist". You're just stereotyping and being prejudice.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't think Obama was anti-white and I don't think Clinton campaigned as anti-white. The problem is that the issues facing the white working class cannot be patched up with a band aid, but that is exactly what Trump promised them. Clinton campaigned as a status quo candidate and the white working class sees themselves as losing in the status quo, so they voted for change.

We need to offer them the same next time. Higher minimum wages, lower taxes, better education and health care for their children. We should not do what trump did and promise them that factory jobs are coming back, because they aren't. But, yes, we do need to speak more to this demographic in 2018 and 2020 if we want to win.

I prefer that the democrats focus on the southern states going forward and give them priority over the Midwest, but ideally we develop a platform that will appeal to all regions. Luckily, the Midwest will likely be bitter when trump can't deliver on his impossible promises. We're not going to ever bring back the Midwestern economy of the 50s. What we do need to do is figure out what their 21st century economy should be.
Some very accurate observations I think. This "change" you see has been a long time coming. I would say since the mid 80s at least.

The steady erosion of middle/lower middle class blue collar jobs has created these conditions. I grew up in the South when there were still garment and linen industries as well as numerous paper mills, and different types of manufacturing including some Iron production, all across the south - all largely non-Union. There was never a thought given to any of these industries as futures were sacrificed to gods of capitalism and lower cost of living/goods. There were winners (like Walmart) and losers (like Wang Laboratories) but the net effect was fewer and fewer alternatives for good jobs throughout the South and Midwest (the low labor cost areas). So what was bad, became worse through the 90s and 2000s.

Unfortunately it took a charlatan and con man (perhaps?) to lay these difference bare through his angry divisive rhetoric that found a home amongst the forgotten parts of the US where many have found themselves slipping from middle to lower class over the last 20 years. Blame the Politicians of the 80s, 90s, 2000s who never once made any real attempt to create/replace the jobs lost to globalization.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:09 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Right those are called racists and they can be found anywhere and everywhere. You're just stereotyping through a very emotional lense. You have this narrative of the South/Midwest being racist and what not and want to scapegoat people you deem beneath you. You prolly look at anything Americana with disgust and think it's all bad because you think of it as "racist". You're just stereotyping and being prejudice.
Madison Wisconsin (Midwest)... real bastion of country there right? Lol

Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You are delusional. I live in CA and go inland A LOT and think inland CA has a lot in common with the rest of the country. I went to Temecula in Riverside Co and saw a lot of what would be divisively dubbed "good ol boys". I saw people in cowboy boots and wranglers, big trucks and American flags where. It was Americana. Nothing wrong with that. Why can't you libs TRULY celebrate diversity? It's not just "the south". Most if not all the country is COUNTRY. I don't know why CA thinks it's so different. Only coastal CA is truly unique and even there you'd find the same America as anywhere else.

Celebrate difference. You guys are such phonies when it comes to diversity.
I don't live in California, I live in Washington state. We have an eastern part of the state too. They complain all the time about the liberals but as soon as we say, fine, quit taking our tax dollars, they get very quiet. It's our money the funds the state but they want the power to control us. Sounds like the Electoral College.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Some very accurate observations I think. This "change" you see has been a long time coming. I would say since the mid 80s at least.

The steady erosion of middle/lower middle class blue collar jobs has created these conditions. I grew up in the South when there were still garment and linen industries as well as numerous paper mills, and different types of manufacturing including some Iron production, all across the south - all largely non-Union. There was never a thought given to any of these industries as futures were sacrificed to gods of capitalism and lower cost of living/goods. There were winners (like Walmart) and losers (like Wang Laboratories) but the net effect was fewer and fewer alternatives for good jobs throughout the South and Midwest (the low labor cost areas). So what was bad, became worse through the 90s and 2000s.

Unfortunately it took a charlatan and con man (perhaps?) to lay these difference bare through his angry divisive rhetoric that found a home amongst the forgotten parts of the US where many have found themselves slipping from middle to lower class over the last 20 years. Blame the Politicians of the 80s, 90s, 2000s who never once made any real attempt to create/replace the jobs lost to globalization.
To be fair... Toyota, Honda, BMW, Nissan, be... to name a few. Have you been to North Carolina recently?

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times
To answer the question in title: No. Seems like just another silly generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies