Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is soft drinks.

Shock Chart Reveals Number 1 Item Bought With Welfare Money Is Soft Drinks

Time to end this taxpayer rip off and let private charities funded with private money through voluntary giving handle the feeding of "the poor". I guarantee they'll watch where the money goes much closer than the bureaucrats in Washington.
So, Soda is bought among other things. And I should care, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
When I give my kids an allowance and they choose to spend it on xyz, they have paid just the same as were my husband or I to pay for xyz. There is no differentiation in the transaction. But for the purposes of the discussion, it seemed best to be clear about those who pay with SNAP or WIC and those who pay out of personal income.

As an aside, I have a friend who is in private practice and makes in the area of $400k annually. She buys cartons of Coke every week and drinks every last one. Not so different as it turns out from the person receiving SNAP who loads up her cart with the generic brand. They both need to improve their diets.

Interesting, so then by your analogy, people on public assistance are our "kids" and public assistance is their "allowance." Thus, to complete the thought, you are admitting that we are raising people who are ostensibly adults. By the way, you get to tell your kids what to do. So, you give them an allowance, but if they disobey you, you can withhold the allowance. And you can tell your kids "here's dinner, it's what I chose for you to eat."

As for your aside, it's strange how so many liberals try to say "oh, well, I am sure you buy soda, as well." Yes, I am sure we do. But we buy it with our own money. Therefore, it's our right to buy whatever we want. People say "well, I know someone who works who is also fat." Good for them, who cares? Unless they're getting my money, it's none of my business or yours, either. It's not a very difficult concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
So, Soda is bought among other things. And I should care, why?
And then we have the ultimate refuge of the left, as I keep pointing out. When all arguments fail, just cry out in desperation, "how does this affect you?" Hey, people starving doesn't affect me, either. So why should I pay for food stamps again?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
You're reading more into my post than is really there. but since we've apparently gone there anyway, I'll go ahead and flesh out the analogy. I do not control my children's purchases. Their allowance money is intended to cover certain expenses but is theirs to do with as they wish within the bounds of what's legal. If they want to spend all of it on a week-long Starbucks binge rather than using it to purchase a month's worth of school lunches, that's their problem. I believe in my kids' ability to learn from their mistakes.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I do not control my children's purchases.

But nobody cares because they're not your kids. The analogy is you're forcing everyone else to adopt your kids and then saying "...oh, by the way, my beliefs are that my kids are very independent, so just keep that in mind." If you personally gave money to a homeless person and I said "they're just going to buy alcohol" and you said "so what?", then I would have nothing further to say. If you told me to give money to a homeless person and I said "they're just going to buy alcohol" and you said "so what?", then I could tell you to jump off a cliff.

Quote:
I believe in my kids' ability to learn from their mistakes.
Really? So you teach them to learn from their mistakes by removing all penalties and consequences of actions? And then do fairies and unicorns carry them off to school?

By the way, you'd have to be a pretty poor parent to say that it was OK for your kids to just drink Starbucks for a week and not eat. I mean, that's like Child Protective Services level of poor parenting. It's sort of sad that you'd publicly admit that you were that poor of a parent just because you're that invested in defending welfare recipients as your kids.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:55 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
100 billion dollar per year waste of taxpayer money.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
But nobody cares because they're not your kids. The analogy is you're forcing everyone else to adopt your kids and then saying "...oh, by the way, my beliefs are that my kids are very independent, so just keep that in mind." If you personally gave money to a homeless person and I said "they're just going to buy alcohol" and you said "so what?", then I would have nothing further to say. If you told me to give money to a homeless person and I said "they're just going to buy alcohol" and you said "so what?", then I could tell you to jump off a cliff.

Really? So you teach them to learn from their mistakes by removing all penalties and consequences of actions? And then do fairies and unicorns carry them off to school?

By the way, you'd have to be a pretty poor parent to say that it was OK for your kids to just drink Starbucks for a week and not eat. I mean, that's like Child Protective Services level of poor parenting. It's sort of sad that you'd publicly admit that you were that poor of a parent just because you're that invested in defending welfare recipients as your kids.
Let me make it easy for you:

I give my kids money and they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I give a friend money and they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I give a homeless person money they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I pay my taxes, people get food stamps and spend that money on what they want. My response: so what?

Also? Low blow on the parenting judgment BS. Try to keep it on topic.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Let me make it easy for you:

I give my kids money and they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I give a friend money and they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I give a homeless person money they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I pay my taxes, people get food stamps and spend that money on what they want. My response: so what?

Also? Low blow on the parenting judgment BS. Try to keep it on topic.
Exactly, you never need to care about anything while you're spending other people's money. Notice that the height of liberal intellectualism is to just drone "so what?" in response to any point?

P.S., it's not a low blow, it's just an observation. See, I know you're lying because you in fact would not allow your kids to not eat for a week. That's my point. You're so invested in your poor "welfare recipients are my children and I treat them like my children" argument that you're willing to portray your kids as welfare recipients, which immediately poses problems.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Exactly, you never need to care about anything while you're spending other people's money. Notice that the height of liberal intellectualism is to just drone "so what?" in response to any point?

P.S., it's not a low blow, it's just an observation. See, I know you're lying because you in fact would not allow your kids to not eat for a week. That's my point. You're so invested in your poor "welfare recipients are my children and I treat them like my children" argument that you're willing to portray your kids as welfare recipients, which immediately poses problems.
LMFAO!! Three of the four examples are about MY money. And no, I really, really, really don't care that some poor person is spending MY tax money on soda.

Who said anything about not letting your kids eat for a week? We're talking lunch money which is not an entire week's worth of meals. Its ONE meal per day and I challenge you to find any teen who didn't squirrel away lunch money for other purposes. No, I'm willing to give others the same latitude and independence as I give my children with money that becomes theirs once it leaves my wallet.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...ya, but...doesn't everything go better with coke?
Hell yeah. But it's usually in powder form. Not yet available in stores to purchase on SNAP.

I remember the old WIC program. I had a friend who was on it. You could ONLY buy specific items. They need to go back to that system. It's easy. You scan the card first and only items allowed will scan. Anything else won't be allowed. It's just dine prigramming. It's not hard.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LMFAO!! Three of the four examples are about MY money. And no, I really, really, really don't care that some poor person is spending MY tax money on soda.

Who said anything about not letting your kids eat for a week? We're talking lunch money which is not an entire week's worth of meals. Its ONE meal per day and I challenge you to find any teen who didn't squirrel away lunch money for other purposes. No, I'm willing to give others the same latitude and independence as I give my children with money that becomes theirs once it leaves my wallet.
Yes, my two youngest kids are teens (the oldest is in college), and the allowance I provide for the ones still at home is meant to cover lunch only. Nobody would suffer from malnutrition, even if they did skip lunch every day, but they don't, because they realized very quickly that they felt like crap when they drank coffee on an empty stomach instead of eating. (In case you did not recognize it, NJ, feeling bad is a consequence of poor decision making). I appreciate your defense of my parenting, Magritte. It was indeed a low blow. My kids are doing just great, btw, even though apparently the other poster thinks she needs to contact CPS on their behalf.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-05-2016 at 05:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies