Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
No, but apparently the liberal crowd is totally OK with that scenario, LOL.
You say conservatives lobby to increase food stamp funding to the levels allowing recepients not just survive but to eat healthy? If so, why TS didnt call for more funding because soft drinks make up a good chunk of food stamp diets? Make up your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Let me make it easy for you:

I give my kids money and they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I give a friend money and they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I give a homeless person money they spend it on what they want. My response: so what?

I pay my taxes, people get food stamps and spend that money on what they want. My response: so what?

Also? Low blow on the parenting judgment BS. Try to keep it on topic.
Number 1-3 are voluntary.

Number 4 is far from voluntary, and is TAKEN by force, with threats backed by the might and power of the government.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
That's odd, almost like you think a soup kitchen is going to need to require vast bureaucracies and oversight. That's the liberal worldview. It's like if I said we should have a community pool, the next thing you know liberals have also erected six buildings and hired 300 pensioned employees to manage it for the summer.
Have you ever participated in a food drive? It's a massive undertaking that require lots of people, trucks, and facilities. The SNAP debit card system uses infrastructure that is already in place and allows participants to purchase foods that are appropriate for their particular circumstances. Some people using temporary assistance after a crisis have the resources to make meals from scratch. Others need fully-prepared foods that can be stored at room temperature, because they live in a shelter or on the street and have no to way to cook. Some people have dietary restrictions resulting from health conditions that limit the food they can consume. It's better to have people choose their own groceries than to hand them a bag of pre-selected items, even if it opens the program to occasional abuse. It's a vastly more efficient means of distributing food relief than soup kitchens.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-05-2016 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Correction.. No taxable income. From the article:

"The losses on his various real estate activities could more than offset income earned in other areas (i.e. salaries, other earned income, investment income such as interest dividends and capital gains)."

But this is all a distraction. Trump wasn't even the main point of my post... (hence in postscript PS>)
So you agree that when Trump earns only $1/year salary as POTUS, he'll be eligible for Food Stamps and welfare?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:04 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you agree that when Trump earns only $1/year salary as POTUS, he'll be eligible for Food Stamps and welfare?
No. Because his net/gross income will be more than 130% poverty even though zero of it is taxable. The POTUS is not legally required to liquidate private assets to serve as President. The whole reason that he can turn down the presidential salary is that he has income elsewhere.

As I indicated also in that post, as a recipient of welfare of capable of holding employment, you are not allowed to turn down job offers and/or reduce hours voluntarily. So Trump would need to be employed (as President) AND cannot take $1 pay because that's below minimum wage. But this is getting silly.

Again.. a distraction and off topic from this thread. but you knew that.

The point of my post (which you are ignoring)

Quote:

* You can receive benefits and still be full employed. There is nothing illegal about it. It is how the system works. (Insinuating that everyone in this situation is scamming the system/bad person is wrong)

* Benefits are based on Net/Gross income. (Not taxable income.. like you claimed.)

* You have to go through an approval process. (they don't just hand out SNAP like candy... much more than a stub like you were insinuating)

* Taking advantage of what welfare has to offer (legally!) is no different from a rich person taking advantage of the tax system has to offer (legally!) In one case we blame the welfare recipient while in the other case we blame the system (even calling them smart). That's hypocritical. If both systems are not working properly offering an unfair benefit/advantage to the wrong people, then the system and only the system is to blame.

But we agree on one thing.... Trump successfully and legally worked the tax system to reduce (eliminate) his tax obligations. Anyone who has a problem with that, needs to blame the system.. not Trump.

Similarly, a recipient of welfare benefits who is successful and legally qualified to receive benefits to help with their income deficiency. Anyone who has a problem with that , needs to blame the system... not the recipient.

Last edited by usayit; 12-05-2016 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It doesn't take long to drain a 3-6 month emergency savings account.

I'm not going to continue arguing with you about this. People sometimes find themselves in bad situations through no fault of their own, and if you really believe it never happens, you are a fool.

I hope it never happens to you, or to anyone you love.

I won't be replying to anything else you say about this, so please don't attempt to engage me further.
Yup, until you dig a little deeper and find out that "bad situation" and "no fault of their own" is a degree in underwater basket weaving, they lived paycheck to paycheck, refused to move out of a "cool" high cost of living area, and made sure they left exactly on time every single day and never bettered themselves in the workplace.

See, I can cherry pick situations and make them the rule, rather than the exception, just like you can.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
It's funny how Conservatives complain about what type of foods people on food stamps eat but champion individual rights and want the Government to stay out of their lives !

You complain if they drink soda but then also get upset when they buy lobsters & filet mignons !

Hippocrits !
NOBODY is complaining that people are drinking soda. If you pay with your own money, drink all the soda you want.

But if you "say" you are so poor you can't afford food, force ME to give you money, and then spend it on a non-food, I do get upset. I'm conservative, and in the above scenario, there is NO hypocrisy. Government out of my life means they're not taking my hard earned money and giving it to someone that us spending it on non-nutritious food. It's my RIGHT to keep my property (money) that I have worked hard for.

Please point out the hypocrisy in not wanting that to happen.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's an average. There are places in the country where it is lower and places where it is much higher. Denver is dealing with a massive influx of people from other parts of the country because there are jobs here. Unfortunately, there isn't enough housing, so rents are through the roof. California went through the same issue. You can find a job, but you can't find anywhere to live, even if you can afford the moving van. People in depressed areas end up trapped. Is that their fault? Well, I suppose it's arguable that we all suffer the consequences of poor planning and preparation, but it can be an incredibly difficult for the unemployed to just pick up and go elsewhere for work. It appears similarly difficult for people who've always had the skills to land well-paying jobs and the resources to follow the work wherever it goes to be compassionate to those who haven't been so fortunate.
You lost me there. Denver is NOT dealing with an influx of people because of jobs. They're dealing with an influx of people because pot is legal. Let's be intellectually honest, at least.

It appears to be very difficult to move to a high cost of living area, have no skills, but want to smoke pot all day, to find a well-paying job.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How much does life insurance pay out? Not very much. After you pay for the funeral expenses, the hospital bills and add in living expenses, a pay out doesn't last very long. If you've never known someone who's gone through this consider yourself lucky.
I do someone who went through this. My uncle lost his wife when his kids were 4 and 18 months old. He lived a thousand miles from family. He managed to keep his home, his job, found a better job, his car and didn't acquire debt. So what's your point?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You lost me there. Denver is NOT dealing with an influx of people because of jobs. They're dealing with an influx of people because pot is legal. Let's be intellectually honest, at least.

It appears to be very difficult to move to a high cost of living area, have no skills, but want to smoke pot all day, to find a well-paying job.
Do you live here? Houses are selling in just a couple of weeks if not days in my neighborhood and the surrounding area. The vacancy rate for apartments is low, and rents are high. Sure, we have vagrants, like all major cities, but it's the jobs that are filling our apartments, selling our houses, and expanding our business parks. The rest of the country may want to believe that Coloradans are sitting around smoking pot all day and night, but that doesn't make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies