Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:15 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,022,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes it would. Paying a welfare recipient with tax dollars to do make work is exactly the same as paying any govt. employee.
Who said anything about make work? And who said anything about paying them. The work would be required in exchange for receiving the public assistance benefits they get now for free. njquestions gave some very good suggestions. No free rides except for the truly incapacitated. Just throwing ever-increasing amounts of money at the poor hasn't worked to solve the poverty problem, and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 11:16 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,682,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they are.
No, they are not.
Who Benefits From Food Stamps? - The Atlantic

See the above.

The biggest problems are people bearing children they have insufficient means to support, and adults who have failed to be responsible enough to be self-sufficient.

Can't afford to support and raise a child? Don't have one. Contraceptives are inexpensive and readily available. Many Public Health Departments and their outreach satellite clinics even distribute them for free.Many public schools and public universities distribute them for free.
Perhaps, based on your logic the better solution would be automatic sterilization, once a person dropped below a certain income threshold? Germany had a similar program, although it used race and religion based criteria. Since the new administration is denying that there is even the slightest hint of racial undertones in it's ideology or personnel, using income as a baseline for sterilization would be a more acceptable method. Perhaps we could look into it.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,140,721 times
Poverty is inheritable as in... once you are born into it there are obstacles that you must overcome to climb the ladder out. Obstacles that people born into a family of more means doesn't have to climb. Much of these obstacles are lack of role models from which to learn from.

It is easy to say "Stay in school", "work towards college", "don't get pregnant", etc... when there is a complete lack of being exposed to people that are examples to follow. It is easy to dismiss this if you've never been there. What people don't realize is that all the bad decisions that keep people poor become your "normality".

* College seems unattainable and not even something to strive for if no one in your circle went to college. Believe it or not, many in my class believed the easiest way to college was to be an athlete. Otherwise, it is unattainable.
* Finishing high school seems like a waste of time when the school itself sucks and those dropping out early to work seem to be doing better than those staying in class. No one to show you the long/short term impacts of your decisions. You can only see short term benefits.
* No one taught me the impacts of eating the crap that I ate.... I simply saw the short term benefits of buying food CHEAP.
* Kids getting pregnant because they have no access to information and birth control (yet we want to defund planned parenthood?). Churches still teach abstinance.... Many don't even know that free condoms are available in certain areas (including NYC).

etc...

The only difference between me and my friends is that my parents weren't always poor.... they were educated but started over once they immigrated here (through circumstances much out of their control). If you weren't born poor you can see the possibilities. Your views are a lot more optimistic AND you have motivation to achieve rather than feel beat down.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:18 AM

451 posts, read 236,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Why is Trump overweight?

At least Trump can pay his own medical bills. Unlike the poor fat people in this country.

BTW....this kid gets it!
Attached Thumbnails
The number one purchase with food stamps-sah1j.jpg  

Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,938,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not speaking to the OP. Speaking about choice as a lib mantra and being okay with letting a woman decide it's okay to murder a baby because it's her body but not okay for her to buy a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew for that same body.
Which lib says it's not okay for a woman to buy a 2-liter bottle of Mountain Dew?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:20 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,366,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Perhaps, based on your logic the better solution would be automatic sterilization, once a person dropped below a certain income threshold? Germany had a similar program, although it used race or religion based criteria. since the new administration is denying that there is even the slightest hint of racial undertones in it's ideology or personnel, using income would be a more acceptable method. Perhaps we could look into it.
Best idea I've heard yet.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
I don't think it's recipient that's worried about being overweight.
Its the bregrudgers on this thread.
You know the I.Hate.The.Poor types.
How about the I.Don't.Think.We.Should.Purposely.Enable.Obesity.And.Thereby.Ruin.Others'.Health types?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:21 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,366,241 times
Quote:
Who said anything about make work? And who said anything about paying them. The work would be required in exchange for receiving the public assistance benefits they get now for free. njquestions gave some very good suggestions. No free rides except for the truly incapacitated. Just throwing ever-increasing amounts of money at the poor hasn't worked to solve the poverty problem, and never will.
Yes. They should be picking up trash highways and streets for the public who pays for their food stamps.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:25 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,140,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Yes. They should be picking up trash highways and streets for the public who pays for their food stamps.
I tossed this out in a debate once...

Make unemployment illegal. If you loose your job and within a certain time period start collecting unemployment, you are now a government employee. If you skills (lack there of) makes your time best used for cleaning up trash on streets and highways, you should be required to do so to continue to earn a "paycheck" from government. You are a government employee until you find yourself another job.

i don't believe anyone should be able to collect government benefits while sitting at home idle.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Perhaps, based on your logic the better solution would be automatic sterilization, once a person dropped below a certain income threshold?
These are actually very serious societal problems, and will only compound exponentially as time goes on.

I've already posted these known facts:
Quote:
It's a known fact that nearly half of all babies born in the U.S. each year are born into poverty. Their births are paid for by Medicaid. It's also a known fact that 70% of those born into poverty never rise above poverty level.

Medicaid reports (as of June 29, 2015) that 48% of all U.S. births are paid for by Medicaid, the welfare health care program for those in poverty.
https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-50...men/women.html

70% of them NEVER rise above poverty level.
Only 30% of those born poor ever make it out of poverty
How do YOU suggest the problem and the obviously unsustainable result be addressed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies