Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There have been many iterations of this $15/hr issue.
I would like to know where you got your crystal ball. I want one just like it; it makes the future sound great!
No, the $15 minimum wage by 2020 is the only thing I've heard. Thats what people are fighting for. A life in dignity for all workers. I've never heard that this should only apply to fast food workers and that caregivers should be making $7.25.

The point is that when the $15 minimum wage is in place by 2020, the people who now make substantially less will make at least $15. And the people making close to $15 now, will have much better bargaining power over their employer. What does much better bargaining power entail? The employer will feel compelled to offer much better wages in order to attract and keep their employees. This isnt a crystal ball. It is what has happened in the past and what happens in other countries. The new $15 minimum wage acts as a floor and gives workers leverage. Better worker leverage is good for workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its completely fair to point to other examples than Venezuela as a counterweight to those people who believe a corrupt third world dictatorship is more relevant as a comparison than our closest allies and developed countries.

There is no proof that there were massive price increases and huge economic problems as a result of the doubling of the minimum wage from the late 1940s to 1950. Studies show the same thing. Whenever the minimum wage is increased, it benefits the workers and the scare mongering doesnt materialize. In 1968, the minimum wage was the equivalent of $11. Since then, there has been a gradual erosion of the minimum wage, prices have increased substantially and continue to increase even as the value of the minimum wage continue to decline every month and every year. The Big Mac in America is now very close to the most expensive in the world, yet workers make starvation wages:

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

US price: $5.04
Australian price: $4.30

Labor costs are just a small part of the overall costs for businesses. Thats why prices are so high in America relative to other countries with much higher effective minimum wage and benefits. And thats why this idea of skyrocketing prices as a result of minimum wage increases is a myth.

Not everyone on the right agreed to social security or Medicare either. Not by any means. Same with minimum wage. There has always been relentless opposition from the ruling donor class to policies that benefit the people. Listen to JFK here and hear how similar the situation is then and now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhgOzQUGZAQ&t=24s
The biggest problem I see in this whole conversation is that many people keep using fast food as the only reason/example for the wage hike but fail to discuss every other business that would be impacted as labor costs rise and what impact that will have on the consumer.
Why is that I wonder?
It's NOT just the cost of a hamburger that will impact the consumer, it WILL show up pretty much across the board in all things purchased.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Better worker leverage is good for workers.
Until it costs them their jobs which is exactly what will happen with a $15/hour minimum wage.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
No, the $15 minimum wage by 2020 is the only thing I've heard. Thats what people are fighting for. A life in dignity for all workers. I've never heard that this should only apply to fast food workers and that caregivers should be making $7.25.

The point is that when the $15 minimum wage is in place by 2020, the people who now make substantially less will make at least $15. And the people making close to $15 now, will have much better bargaining power over their employer. What does much better bargaining power entail? The employer will feel compelled to offer much better wages in order to attract and keep their employees. This isnt a crystal ball. It is what has happened in the past and what happens in other countries. The new $15 minimum wage acts as a floor and gives workers leverage. Better worker leverage is good for workers.
Garbage, absolute 100% garbage, you are just a corporate shill that supports the donor class, these companies and businesses support a Darwinian race to the bottom where they take advantage of employees and give them the bare minimum amount of money they can get away with, they won't feel compelled at all. You and your donor class ilk would love us to all eat up that level of BS you are peddling in your fantasy world where you want elders and the common Joe to starve to death in the street because they aren't giving them a living wage. Meanwhile the 1% who run these businesses are taking advantage of EVERYONE, EVERYONE I tell you!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 864,535 times
Seniors are the biggest loser of minimum wage hikes. Many of them live entirely off of Social Security and are struggling to pay the bills. They can't afford prices going up at WalMart. This is why I am against a federal minimum wage increase.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The biggest problem I see in this whole conversation is that many people keep using fast food as the only reason/example for the wage hike but fail to discuss every other business that would be impacted as labor costs rise and what impact that will have on the consumer.
Why is that I wonder?
It's NOT just the cost of a hamburger that will impact the consumer, it WILL show up pretty much across the board in all things purchased.
I do agree that it is strategically unwise to constantly use fast food workers as a symbol for this minimum wage hike because a lot of people feel this type of job is something they cant relate to at all. But fast food workers have been at the forefront, so it is what it is.

Regarding huge price increases as a result of minimum wage increases, why dont they materialize? Did it lead to disaster in 1950? No it didnt. But the donor class told people it would. Same in the late 60s. What it does lead to is increased demand and more costumers as low to middle income people who spend all their money in America (not abroad) have more money in their pocket, and increased workplace efficiency and lower turnover (the costs for businesses of high turnover is substantial).

Old 12-15-2016, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:

You haven't been paying attention, then.
https://knpr.org/knpr/2016-12/fight-...imum-wage-2017
Minimum-wage raises ahead next month; in Seattle, $15 for some | The Seattle Times
Eldridge pushes for $15 minimum wage - News - MetroWest Daily News, Framingham, MA - Framingham, MA

Just a few examples. And it's always fast-food workers as the example.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Until it costs them their jobs which is exactly what will happen with a $15/hour minimum wage.
Nope, studies show there was no big employment loss in 1950 as a result of the 80% increase in minimum wage and employment across the country in areas with higher minimum wage is as high as ever.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Why is that I wonder?
I personally think it would be OK for health care costs to rise if it was because the lowest paid are getting more. But yes, that would cause health care costs to go up.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Nope, studies show there was no big employment loss in 1950 as a result of the 80% increase in minimum wage and employment across the country in areas with higher minimum wage is as high as ever.
Why don't you show us the information then? And what is "no BIG employment loss" (emphasis mine). Does that mean there was an employment loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies