Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times

Advertisements

High minimum wage is good for the best service sectors who workers who are necessary no matter how much technology there is. But it puts the marginal workers out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Really, thats not the case from this study in Seattle:
I'd submit that the "story" you keep citing is just one side of a larger issue as evidenced by the following.

"Unions and activists say the costs of minimum wage hikes are negligible. But the real faces of $15—and of other dramatic hikes in the minimum wage—are the employers who struggle to offset those costs. As these stories show, their actions often mean fewer opportunities for the employees these laws are meant to help."
Faces of $15 - Raising the minimum wage has large consequences for small businesses

"Companies that serve the state's most vulnerable individuals say they may not survive the state's minimum-wage hike unless they get a pay raise of their own from Gov. Doug Ducey and the Arizona Legislature."

After minimum-wage hike, Arizona companies serving people with disabilities to face a funding crisis

Old 12-15-2016, 11:02 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd submit that the "story" you keep citing is just one side of a larger issue as evidenced by the following.
OK, you will always find lots of complaints about any minimum wage hike from countless people who dont even want any minimum wage in the first place. Thats expected. It always happens. I am just interested in facts and real life results. And the experiences from past hikes and what we see today dont support the scare mongering. $15 by 2020 is the right thing to do and we should expand social security while we're at it. The massive transfer of wealth and income over the past 40 years from the 99% to the donor class has been devastating for the American people and we're now seeing decline in life expectancy for huge sectors of the population like middle aged working class white males as a result. The consequences of policies that move the society towards social darwinism with an increasingly tiny elite at the top, are always the same; despair and hopelessness for larger and larger sectors of society.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What you're missing with your analogy is how profit was calculated, what was tolerable with respect to margins and worker performance and what was expected from people then to now.

Back then business didn't watch profit down to the .0000001% and didn't calculate worker performance down to .0000000001 of their production value to the company. They didn't look at cutting 1/10th of a penny to increase profits by 1/10th of a percent at the cost of employees. They didn't ask 1 employee to do the job of 5 just to increase profit margins by .005%. It was a different time back then, when at least to some extent people meant more than a penny or two. Hence there were retirement,healthcare and bonuses in effect and people could expect to work at the same job/company until they grew old or died.

Nowadays that is NOT the case. You can expect to be tossed to the curb if it means exceeding a profit projection by <.01%.

Only because it's your ox being gored. If you were not somehow attached to the healthcare business and only had to pay for it I'd bet the tune would be different as it is with everyone else.
1. I am retired; not employed in health care.
2. I am an RN, not a CNA or HHA.
3. I have to pay for health care, too.

I think those workers are underpaid. I think this $15/hr movement is a)asking for too much; we just voted in Colorado to raise the state min. wage to $12/hr by 2020 (is currently $8.31) and b) is making a mistake by championing fast-food workers instead of the many other workers who are underpaid yet have more responsibility.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-16-2016 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't think that's how it works in those countries, and you have yet to show that it is. But you're right, it's off topic.

There have been many iterations of this $15/hr issue. I showed you that the health care workers that I referenced don't make that NOW!

Oops! I see I forgot the link. That's what I get for posting late at night. Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) Salary

It's even less for a Home Health Aid, $10/hr. Home Health Aide Salary

The only ones who have brought up these health care workers are MJJersey and I (politics makes strange bedfellows). The rest of you are talking about fast food workers, truck drivers, etc.

I don't think the general public knows how little these workers are paid. I'd rather advocate for them to make more money. After all, their jobs require some skill and entail a lot of responsibility, and they get a lot of flak. Those are the workers, for the most part, that people complain about when they say "that 'nurse' blah, blah, blah". They are the front line health care providers.

I would like to know where you got your crystal ball. I want one just like it; it makes the future sound great!
I took a CNA course it took me 3 weeks to complete it. It is manly feeding and taking of old people it is not that complicated to do no more then working fast food.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM

421 posts, read 205,187 times
To be fair, the cost of EVERYTHING has gone up "anyways" even WITHOUT this hypothetical $15/hr Bernie wage

Overly-simplistic example:

2007 - $7/hr min wage, $550/month rents
2017 - $8/hr min wage, $900-$1000/month for the ^same^ place

Not saying I agree with the Bernie liberal $15/hour crowd, just some food for thought

I'm curious as to what my fellow conservative types have to say about this "prices going up anyways" phenomenon??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies