Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,913,950 times

Advertisements

Each bowl game has sponsors and fans. That means money!!! It's what makes the world go 'round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 PM

18,171 posts, read 25,418,070 times
They make money .... that's all that matter

Where's the best 40 teams? Here's your trophies guys, good job.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
They make money .... that's all that matter

Where's the best 40 teams? Here's your trophies guys, good job.
39 of them don't care about the trophies.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:57 PM

12,453 posts, read 8,258,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
39 of them don't care about the trophies.
They don't now because of the National Championship. Historically however the bowls were more than just an additional game and almost half of the schools didn't have a stadium and corporate sponsor trying to get them one more payday

Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM

59,513 posts, read 27,655,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Participation trophies vs 40 College Bowl trophies

Does college football promote the participation trophy mentality in our society?
" 40 College Bowl trophies" Out of how many colleges that participate in football?

I think your question is ludicrous.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
They don't now because of the National Championship. Historically however the bowls were more than just an additional game and almost half of the schools didn't have a stadium and corporate sponsor trying to get them one more payday
I thought every bowl game had sponsors, but never really paid too much attention to the lesser ones. Which ones didn't have sponsors? What were they called?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:23 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,761,271 times
College Football Bowl Games Are Over Rated.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,706,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What are "participation trophies"?
You get a trophy just for participating. Everybody's a winner! Nobody is keeping score. It doesn't matter.

It's that attitude people are referring to when they talk about participation trophies. If you were born in the 1980's or later, you may have belonged to a team like this.

Which is really stupid, because that's not how life operates, and it's left some ill-equipped to deal with the real world.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,447,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You get a trophy just for participating. Everybody's a winner! Nobody is keeping score. It doesn't matter.

It's that attitude people are referring to when they talk about participation trophies. If you were born in the 1980's or later, you may have belonged to a team like this.

Which is really stupid, because that's not how life operates, and it's left some ill-equipped to deal with the real world.
My brother has a son who is 6 that plays baseball/t-ball. He keeps stats for his son on the down low cuz the league obviously doesn't keep track of anything. And everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year.

But the kid likes baseball and keeps score of MLB games. He's not dumb. He wants his stats kept too.

My brother and I just laugh (cuz it's either that or cry) that he has to make sure not to discuss the stat keeping openly.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,706,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My brother has a son who is 6 that plays baseball/t-ball. He keeps stats for his son on the down low cuz the league obviously doesn't keep track of anything. And everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year.

But the kid likes baseball and keeps score of MLB games. He's not dumb. He wants his stats kept too.

My brother and I just laugh (cuz it's either that or cry) that he has to make sure not to discuss the stat keeping openly.
That's both funny and sad.

When my younger son was five or six and playing t-ball, HE used to keep score because the coaches wouldn't....lol. They finally had to ask me to tell him not to announce it to the other kids so nobody would be upset.

Then I found out that not only were the public schools in town not giving grades A, B, C, D and F, so children wouldn't feel bad, they stopped correcting spelling errors for the same reason. Was I glad mine weren't in that school system. They learned phonics, their spelling was corrected, and when they got grades that weren't their best, they just tried harder.

The same parents in favor of 'everyone gets trophy' didn't want their babies to ever suffer consequences for their actions, and many paid them to get good grades. No internal motivation from these kids.

Real dopes, some of those parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies