Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:23 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
They make money .... that's all that matter

Where's the best 40 teams? Here's your trophies guys, good job.
I pointed out already that the Winners get trophies....which you ignored.

That makes it patently different from everyone gets a trophy....and I don't even follow college football.

So, what we have here is you created an ill-informed topic for some inexplicable reason and then when basic logic 101 hit you....you ignored it.

Here's your trophy for debate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:07 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I pointed out already that the Winners get trophies....which you ignored.

That makes it patently different from everyone gets a trophy....and I don't even follow college football
40 winners?
Might as well give every team a trophy every time they win a game

Old 12-12-2016, 09:16 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
40 winners?
Yeah, there are 40 winners of a bowl game. Big deal.

It is more than just bowl games. Every team that gets to participate in a bowl ALSO (and this is far more important) get extra practice time in the Spring.

By the VERY DEFINITION if there are teams that DON'T GET A TROPHY, then it IS NOT the same as a participation trophy.

Not rocket science dopo.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
no.. it's a money grab and has been happening for a long time. Going to a bowl is like going to the NCAA tourney

Old 12-12-2016, 03:00 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Going to a bowl is like going to the NCAA tourney

tour·na·ment
noun
(in a sport or game) a series of contests between a number of competitors, who compete for an overall prize.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
40 winners?
Poor Dopo doesn't like how college football is set up.

It'll be okay, Dopo

Old 12-13-2016, 04:47 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My brother has a son who is 6 that plays baseball/t-ball. He keeps stats for his son on the down low cuz the league obviously doesn't keep track of anything. And everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year.

But the kid likes baseball and keeps score of MLB games. He's not dumb. He wants his stats kept too.

My brother and I just laugh (cuz it's either that or cry) that he has to make sure not to discuss the stat keeping openly.
The idea kids don't know who the winner is is very incorrect. Kids aren't dumb, they know they didn't win if they don't win.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:43 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Poor Dopo doesn't like how college football is set up.

It'll be okay, Dopo
I don't like hypocrisy

Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You get a trophy just for participating. Everybody's a winner! Nobody is keeping score. It doesn't matter.

It's that attitude people are referring to when they talk about participation trophies. If you were born in the 1980's or later, you may have belonged to a team like this.

Which is really stupid, because that's not how life operates, and it's left some ill-equipped to deal with the real world.
I honestly don't understand why people throw a fit about participation trophies. Of all the things to blame the world's ills upon. meaningless two bit trophies.

When I was a kid, our baseball coach bought us a pop after every game. Even if we lost. I'm surprised people didn't throw a fit about that back in the day.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I honestly don't understand why people throw a fit about participation trophies. Of all the things to blame the world's ills upon. meaningless two bit trophies.

When I was a kid, our baseball coach bought us a pop after every game. Even if we lost. I'm surprised people didn't throw a fit about that back in the day.

Nice coach. There's nothing wrong with that.

I think you may be missing the big picture. Everyone got a trophy so no child would feel bad. Scores weren't kept, so no child would feel bad. Schools dropped letter grades, so no child would feel bad. Spelling wasn't corrected on homework, so that children could keep their self-esteem intact.

Everyone was special, so not any ONE person could feel special, because it might make the other children feel bad.

Now, most people in my generation didn't buy into this. Some of us sent our kids to private school, as I did, where they got letter grades and their spelling was corrected, with only one child or team winning at a competition. Most parents, regardless of what was going on in school, explained to their children how life isn't always fair, that not everyone wins all the time, and it's okay if you don't win, but that it's important to win and lose gracefully.

A small percentage of parents continued with the 'everyone wins' theme at home. And many of those kids don't know how to cope out in the real world now that they're adults. They feel entitled. They refuse to do certain tasks at work. They find excuses if they weren't the one awarded a promotion or recognition for something. It's never them, it's always the stupidity or jealousy of others holding them back. They think they should be treated like they're special, and should have things handed to them, just because....just for showing up. They aren't skilled at not getting what they believe they deserve, or even properly assessing what they "deserve".

That's the bigger picture. It's a problem, and I'm sure any number of people here can back me up on what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies