Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Japan surrendered on September 2, 1944. The third bomb wasn't ready until August 1945.

The third atomic bomb: Tokyo, 19 August 1945 – Airminded

So, a third bomb could have been used, but not until a little more than a year after Nagasaki was bombed.
I think you have your surrender date off by a year, there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
ROFLMAO.

Wow, I certainly screwed the pooch on that one.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Also, the IJA & IJN competed against each other - they developed separate air wings & didn't coordinate well @ all.
In an ironic twist, the US fell into even more interservice rivalry when it came to nuclear weapons in the postwar years.

The US Navy hated nukes right until the development of nuclear weapons small enough to be delivered by carrier-based aircraft, at which point in time they did a 180 and argued that obviously the Navy should be the US nuclear delivery force of choice. Even started competing with the Air Force in missile development (Matador vs. Regulus, for instance).

With the USAF being formed in 1947, the US Army had no nuclear capacity at all, and started arguing that nuclear weaponry wasn't how wars were won, at all. Then tactical nukes were made, and suddenly the the Army wanted 15,000 warheads (not making this up) to defend against Soviet armor in Europe.

And the USAF, of course, fought tooth and nail to keep their de facto monopoly.

Someone should make a movie.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
ROFLMAO.

Let he who has never committed a brainfart on CD throw the first stone.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:16 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we did NOT have an attack on us coming. yes we had economic sanctions against japan, but they were in place to force them to stop aggression against china.
How was it the responsibility of the US to support a Communist Nation?
You support Communism?

Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It has always made me wonder how it was the Nazis didn't develop atomic weapons first. They had the technology, the minds and the personnel. Had they actually gotten working weapons into action before they were over run, things would be quite different today. I keep imagining nuke tipped V2s shooting off the pad. Japan could have conceivably made atomic weapons themselves, but I'v never seen anything on a Japanese atomic weapons effort during WW2. That Germany would have provided them such weapons had they made any, well, that's a foregone conclusion.

The decision to use our atomic weapons, I can't find fault in that. The war needed to end. Both theaters. We could have gone on to world domination after Fat Man and Little Boy, but we didn't. Instead we rebuilt both Germany and Japan and let the Russians get their own atomic weapons. That worked out well.
germany didnt develop nuclear weapons because they lost the heavy water source they were using for deuterium, as well as all the heavy water they had found when the british sank the transport ships and severely damaged the plant that was processing the deuterium. once that happened, the germans ended atomic research for the most part.

it is doubtful that that the germans could have launched a nuclear weapon with a V2 rocket, since nuclear weapons of the day were very heavy, and the V2 had a maximum payload of 1000 pounds.

the japanese were working to develop a nuclear weapon as well. there are plenty of notes captured by the allies in that regard. it is unclear though how far along in their research they were though. some say they did develop and detonate a small nuke, others say not. not enough evidence to say one way or another though.

Quote:
Japan surrendered on September 2, 1944. The third bomb wasn't ready until August 1945.

The third atomic bomb: Tokyo, 19 August 1945 – Airminded

So, a third bomb could have been used, but not until a little more than a year after Nagasaki was bombed.
Quote:
Quote:
ROFLMAO.

Quote:
Let he who has never committed a brainfart on CD throw the first stone.
dane beat me to it, but he is also right that we all have brain farts from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
You support Communism?
remember at the time china was an ally, and we had a responsibility to support our allies. do i support communism? no i dont, but i do support allies to our country despite their form of government.

and before you go off about how china is not an ally now, alliances change over time. in 1812 the british were an enemy to the US, after the war of 1812, they became a ally to the US. france has been an on and off again ally depending on their mood. russia has been an on again off again ally, again depending on the situation and their mood. same with china and japan. japan was an ally in world war one, an enemy in world war two, and an ally again after world war two.

in fact as far as i know, the only country to be allied with the US in every war was have fought together is australia.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
You support Communism?
You might want to google this fellow Chiang Kai-shek and what he was doing in 1937. At the time, China was run by the Kuomintang nationalist government, embroiled in a civil war with the Communists. They put aside their differences to fight the Japanese, then went at each other's throats again after 1945 - but China couldn't be properly said to be Communist until Chiang Kai-shek was beaten and fled to Taiwan in 1950.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Word was the Japanese were gonna fight to the death but; those nukes changed some minds in Japan like as in real fast.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:09 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Was it Wrong to Drop the Atom Bomb on Japan?

Nope

It brought the worst, most deadly conflict in history to a swift end.

It's SO easy for us today to sit back in comfort and safety while we second guess the decision. None of us are at risk. None of our family and friends are scheduled to wade ashore in the titanic invasion of the home islands.

Here's a suggestion for those soft heads who have convinced themselves that the bombs were a bad idea.

Watch the recently released film, Hacksaw Ridge, about the fighting on Okinawa in 1945. Multiply that violence by a thousand or so and you begin to get a mental picture of what Operation Downfall would have involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

By August of 1945, Japan was utterly defeated. Its navy no longer existed. It's airpower was reduced to a handful of fighters sent up in a pitiful attempt to turn back massive bombing raids here and there. It's ground forces were cut off and starving in China. They were beaten but stubbornly clung to false hopes that they could negotiate a less negative outcome.

They should have and could have surrendered before they lost Hiroshima. They could have surrendered after Hiroshima and before they lost Nagasaki. But they didn't and they gained nothing through their pig-headed insistence on continuing the war.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:19 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we just had the two at that time.
Correct. We sort of bluffed them since we didn't have a third. Insomuch as you can bluff a country you have already nuked twice anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies