Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix09 View Post
the only people who care about it are whites who dont like black people.

nobody else is bringing up issues with tubman besides whites men.
I bet the number of ten dollar bills printed for distribution in the South will rise.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I bet the number of ten dollar bills printed for distribution in the South will rise.
Huh? Racism is everywhere.

And the re-designed $20 bill will be distributed just like the old $20 bill, and people will be using $20's in the future the same as they do now.

This is just a ***** and moan thread that doesn't reflect any real dissension over the new $20 bill.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Not sure why you all care about this. I honestly would have preferred Frederick Douglas on the $20 bill over Tubman (and I'm a black woman) and if it were a woman, I would rather have Susan B. Anthony or Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or another well known suffragist.

But Harriet Tubman is the embodiment IMO of the "American spirit." She came from the lowest of humble backgrounds, she was heroic, she achieved great things, she was giving throughout her adult life, up until her death even. She lived an amazing life and she was a personal hero of Frederick Douglas, who I feel is probably one of the most important black Americans in American history. FWIW, she was also a suffragist.

Why do you all not want an American hero on the $20?

I don't even think that Andrew Jackson would want to be on the $20 so taking him off wouldn't be a dishonor IMO. FWIW, he was an interesting man as well and one of my favorite American presidents.

Seems you all have an issue with Tubman because she is a black woman and she was a slave and you think she should stay in an inferior "place." Sad that you all cannot look past color like you claim to be able to do.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-21-2016 at 08:29 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
I'm a white guy and to the right of center and Harriet Tubman on the twenty is fine with me.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Wanted to add that I'm glad the "Hamilton" musical came out and they stopped the nonsense of removing Alexander Hamilton from the $10 bill. He was highly important in the creation of a national bank and our financial system in the country so it makes sense to have him prominently displayed on a bill.

For those stuck on color he is also suspected to be "part black" lol so maybe that's why initially people wanted to boot him from the $10.

And honestly Andrew Jackson and slavery isn't something that I dwell on with him. The worst thing about Jackson was his relationships with Native Americans and him passing the Indian Removal Act whereby the Trail of Tears occurred.

He was an interesting, hard man of his times and so we should not judge his racism IMO from the present day.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GraceProfessional- View Post
I lived in the south and Colorado and the percentage of whites that were racist in CO was MUCH higher than anywhere I ever went in the south. They were just not as open about it and more cowardly than southern racists. Southern racists were much more open with there racism and much more honest about it and much more dangerous but there was much less of them.

IMO the majority of Midwest and west coast whites are racist in my experience. A minority of southern whites are racist but that minority is much more dangerous and hostile and hateful than the silent majority in other parts of the country. Racist whites outside the south are in denial about there racism and it stems from a fear of black men and feeling inferior to them. Southern racists are proud of there hate and not the least bit intimidated by black folks in fact they expect blacks to fear them and seek to intimidate them. A Colorado white racist will apologize to a black man that disrespects him that go talk about how he hates blacks to all his white racist friends and drop n bombs behind black peoples backs than kiss any black persons ass he meets while secretly hating him. A southern white racist will call that same black man that disrespected him the n word to his face, beat the crap out of him or kill him than go brag to his racist friends how he beat up or killed a black guy after calling him the N word. The south isn't more racist than anywhere else is actually I would argue it's less, but the racism in the south is a brand and style of racism that is unique to the region and very open and dangerous, only California Aryan Prison gangs are as vile and disgusting as them.
This is BS and no where near accurate.
PURE FANTASY!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:09 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to add that I'm glad the "Hamilton" musical came out and they stopped the nonsense of removing Alexander Hamilton from the $10 bill. He was highly important in the creation of a national bank and our financial system in the country so it makes sense to have him prominently displayed on a bill.

For those stuck on color he is also suspected to be "part black" lol so maybe that's why initially people wanted to boot him from the $10.

And honestly Andrew Jackson and slavery isn't something that I dwell on with him. The worst thing about Jackson was his relationships with Native Americans and him passing the Indian Removal Act whereby the Trail of Tears occurred.

He was an interesting, hard man of his times and so we should not judge his racism IMO from the present day.
That's my beef with Jackson too.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm a white guy and to the right of center and Harriet Tubman on the twenty is fine with me.
Yea I don't have much of a problem with it either.

Tubman is certainly worthy of accolades.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GraceProfessional- View Post
I can't understand how anyone that has a problem with this isn't racist, honestly, and I'm a republican that believes hates race baiting and race card, but really? Why hate that a dead black person is on a 20? It will spend the same.
I am a Republican and just like you, I don't have a problem with this.

However, I don't believe Andrew Jackson should be removed. He is a historical figure. I have no ideas why some here decided to judge a historical figure using today's moral standard.

I had a relative who has been interned during ww2. She looked nothing like the "enemy" and she decided to hate Democrats till the day she died. I found that stupid. The whole country hated the enemy aliens LOL I also don't see any other minorities came to her defense. History, is just that, history. No needs to hold an entire race or party accountable for a decision made in desperate situation.

Matter of fact, Colorado Governor Ralph L. Carr welcomed the Japanese-American internees into his state, embracing them as citizens who deserved dignified and just treatment during their incarceration. He is a white, male, Republican. Duh! Why is he so darn nice? LOL could it be that he is a governor of law?

Historical context is the broader cultural environment of a topic or piece, which includes how time affects the importance of something.

One needs not to judge a historical figure harshly. Google Chinese cultural revolution, the result aint that pretty.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-21-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 10:52 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
You figure it out.
No. Don't act like passive aggressive cowards, tell us who, exactly, is "they".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies