Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:24 PM

286 posts, read 383,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
What happened to the Democrats of 50 years ago?

Do you read anything other than the headline, read my last sentence. Justify to me why these things don't incentivize a republican anymore? Or why the party went away from these ideas that quite frankly would win them 80% of the nations vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Very simple. They came to the realization (albeit belatedly) that it is immoral to purchase the votes of some using money stolen from others.

Alas...this type of villainy is still the stock-in-trade of the political group which was so ignominiously routed in the November, 2016, elections.
Thank you, at least one of you admits that these things aren't a priority to The Republican party anymore. Most republicans seem to be in denial of their party's extremism.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:32 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
That.

Both parties have gone to the right over the last 50 years. Today's Democrats are where the Republicans were 50 years ago. Today's Republicans are an alliance of various far-right interest groups: theocrats, libertarians, alt-right people, AGW deniers, anti-immigrant groups, etc.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That.

Both parties have gone to the right over the last 50 years. Today's Democrats are where the Republicans were 50 years ago. Today's Republicans are an alliance of various far-right interest groups: theocrats, libertarians, alt-right people, AGW deniers, anti-immigrant groups, etc.

I didn't think of this. Its true. Have a repuation point on me.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:46 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
They were so poor and self-sacrificing, that Adlai Stevenson couldn't even afford to have new soles put on his shoes. The Republicans used that to ridicule him in a campaign ad. Click on one of the thumbnails to the right at the link below, to see Stevenson wearing the shoe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...LcJlLQzh-pM%3A

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 12-13-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That.

Yep. As a Democrat I lament the loss of the progressive wing of our party, who only Sanders and Warren seem to represent any longer. Bill Clinton pulled the party right of center and we have been drifting rightward ever since. Ronald Reagan would fit perfectly into today's Democratic party, and would be roundly rejected by the off-the-cliff rightwingers who now control the GOP.

And boy, what I wouldn't give for a Ronald Reagan Republican these days. Never in my wildest dreams could I ever have imagined saying that, but he sure looks good compared to what the GOP has become.

Last edited by JAMS14; 12-13-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Bill Clinton pulled the party right of center and we have been drifting rightward ever since.
Yes, Clinton was a moderate Republican on economic issues. He signed NAFTA which benefited Big Business at the expense of the middle and lower classes. He raised taxes, but the higher taxes helped balance the budget and reduce the deficit. Clinton was our last fiscal conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Ronald Reagan would fit perfectly into today's Democratic party, and would be roundly rejected by the off-the-cliff rightwingers who now control the GOP.

And boy, what I wouldn't give for a Ronald Reagan Republican these days. And never in my wildest dreams could I ever have imagined saying that, but he sure looks good compared to what the GOP has become.
Yes, compared to today's Republicans, Regan was a Democrat. But remember that Ronald Reagan pulled the Republicans to the right with the Trickle Down Voodoo Economics that lead to the massive inequality of today. And he eliminated the Fairness Doctrine that allowed far-right propagandists like Rush Limbaugh to pull the whole nation to the right.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Well I identify as a moderate Republican and I am only 29. Most Millennial Republicans tend to be relatively moderate. Give it time and we'll take over the party, banish the crazies, and return the party back to mainstream center-right conservatism focused on low taxes, economic development, and a strong military. Gone will be the obsession with bombing Muslims, bashing Hispanics & Blacks, and banning gay marriage.

My idols are people like Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, Mitt Romney (the real Mitt Romney is actually a moderate Republican), Nelson Rockefeller, Thomas Dewey, Jack Kemp, George Pataki, etc.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:46 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post

Thank you, at least one of you admits that these things aren't a priority to The Republican party anymore. Most republicans seem to be in denial of their party's extremism.
And thank you, as well, for admitting that the Democrats (or what little remains of them these days) are a gaggle of sniveling political hacks who use the untrammeled power of government to steal the money of the productive in order to give the proceeds to those who are most likely to vote for them, namely, the non-productive. As you point out, most Dems are in drooling denial of this inalterable reality.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
And thank you, as well, for admitting that the Democrats (or what little remains of them these days) are a gaggle of sniveling political hacks who use the untrammeled power of government to steal the money of the productive in order to give the proceeds to those who are most likely to vote for them, namely, the non-productive. As you point out, most Dems are in drooling denial of this inalterable reality.
So reinvesting into infrastructure and apply taxed money towards social programs that benefit society and can develop contributing members of society is bad? If you say so I guess it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies