Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 12:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
My neighbor the black airline pilot says you are wrong.

That's good enough for me.
You do realized you just presumed that one single person can speak for an entire group of people that vary widely, right?

Do you also think you speak for all white people?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
You chastised him for basing his response to you on your own self-description.

He wasn't assuming, he was going by what you said about yourself.

Advanced degrees, upper middle class, etc.
And nothing about my childhood, where I grew up, or what I have experienced related to poverty. That was all assumption on his part and wrong btw.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:45 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Surprised at this reaction. Seemed like a thoughtful post and she did say the woman was not a racist IHO. People have a right to be concerned about their young children. There seems to be far more hypersensitivity displayed by some posters about the title of the course, don't you think? One that is not required for the vast majority of the students there. Lol.
She said the woman was not racist but what the woman did was "racist".

All over a costume at a birthday party. Silly nonsense.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing oil and gas industries.
How do they subsidize those industries?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:47 PM

269 posts, read 134,701 times
Quote:
Yes, they do.

We could start by considering their high school drop out rate.

Then we could consider the percentage of babies born to unwed mothers, and other such things.

I wasn't talking about busing students.

I was talking about creating good schools in their own neighborhoods. Schools that they could pick and choose themselves, and pay for with vouchers. Those schools would compete with each other. Not unlike restaurants that compete with each other. The food and service tend to get better with competition.

Somebody call a whambulance.

You are stuck so firmly in a victim mentality that I don't think anyone can help you out of it.
I know you think characterizing American social problems as black collective racial problems is not racist but it is.

There is no such thing as collective racial behavior. The "blacks" don't have to do anything.

Plus these disparities aren't about behavior any way.

Here is some behavior.

So right now black Americans with 4 year college degrees or higher have twice the unemployment rate as white people with 4 year degrees or higher.

Black Americans that drop out of high school have twice the unemployment rate as white people that drop out of high school.

Black Americans that graduate from high school have twice the unemployment rate of white people that graduate from high school.

Black Americans who graduated high school and have some college have twice the unemployment rate of white people that graduated high school with some college.

Black Americans with two year degrees have twice the unemployment rate of white people with two year degrees.

In fact, for black men their chances at landing a job are roughly the same as a white man with a criminal record.

Let's look at housing study after study shows realtors renters refusing to show black Americans houses in certain areas and refuse to rent to them.

Ok let's go to loans.

For black Americans with the same incomes and credit scores they are given worse loan terms.

Let's go to criminal justice system black Americans are much much more likely to be stopped, searched, harrssse by the police then white people.

Either we are Americans or we aren't. If we are there are no "their" Neighborhoods

There is no "their" schools.

School choice is mostly a scam

Again the only school choice I'll support is students from poor performing schools going to neighboring schools

The belief in collective racial behavior is fundamentally racist.

The racist narrative in America is always well it not racism there is something wrong with the black race it is tradition.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Any major that ends in "studies" makes you completely unemployable. Universities should be ashamed for propping up these failed departments. They should be immediately disbanded or else the state should cease to fund the university.
Credit towards a degree should not be given for these alleged classes. They should be the equivalent of taking an adult class through your county or city. Financial aid should be prohibited from being spent on them either.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:52 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
Quote:
I would start with the history of mankind, which for thousands of years had slavery and oppression practiced by all races and on all continents.

I wouldn't go into the historical context of "white privilege" because the very concept is bunk unless you're also going to talk -- in the present day U.S. context -- about Asian privilege and Jewish privilege.

Or you can go further afield and come up with hundreds of possessors of privilege, e.g., Viking and Norman privilege in Britain.

Oppressors, victims, oppressors, victims, oppressors, victims. That's history and human nature for you.

We are teaching about White Privilege here in the United States, and we have usually 16 weeks to teach the class and believe me we do teach about where we currently stand when it comes to White Privilege.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refineryworker73 View Post
The European Union doesn't mean that there is a common European culture. In fact the European Union proves just how different these nations are from one another.

The European Union was created to combine European a way it was never united before. It was created to makes sense if their differing laws and customs to allow business to conducted.

The existence of the European Union and its unpopularity is proof that there is no common European culture. Thank you.
If you actually read serious books -- e.g., by such authors as Gabriel Marcel, Thomas Molnar, Karl Jaspers, Raymond Aron, Jean Francois Revel, Jose Ortega y Gasset -- you would know that Europeans are very conscious of having a distinct European culture as well as distinct cultures within Europe.

You obviously do not know what you're talking about, but that's not my problem, it's yours.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refineryworker73 View Post
I know you think characterizing American social problems as black collective racial problems is not racist but it is.

There is no such thing as collective racial behavior. The "blacks" don't have to do anything.

Plus these disparities aren't about behavior any way.

Here is some behavior.

So right now black Americans with 4 year college degrees or higher have twice the unemployment rate as white people with 4 year degrees or higher.

Black Americans that drop out of high school have twice the unemployment rate as white people that drop out of high school.

Black Americans that graduate from high school have twice the unemployment rate of white people that graduate from high school.

Black Americans who graduated high school and have some college have twice the unemployment rate of white people that graduated high school with some college.

Black Americans with two year degrees have twice the unemployment rate of white people with two year degrees.

In fact, for black men their chances at landing a job are roughly the same as a white man with a criminal record.

Let's look at housing study after study shows realtors renters refusing to show black Americans houses in certain areas and refuse to rent to them.

Ok let's go to loans.

For black Americans with the same incomes and credit scores they are given worse loan terms.

Let's go to criminal justice system black Americans are much much more likely to be stopped, searched, harrssse by the police then white people.

Either we are Americans or we aren't. If we are there are no "their" Neighborhoods

There is no "their" schools.

School choice is mostly a scam

Again the only school choice I'll support is students from poor performing schools going to neighboring schools

The belief in collective racial behavior is fundamentally racist.

The racist narrative in America is always well it not racism there is something wrong with the black race it is tradition.
Your research is correct, but you are kicking a dead horse trying to teach them. They have to seek out the knowledge for themselves. You will become so frustrated and tired trying to teach others who prefer to stay ignorant or stay true to their own belief system. Your knowledge is great and I highly advise you share it with those in your community or at a youth center or be a guest speaker at a school for Black History Month. So many ways for you to share your knowledge.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:58 PM

269 posts, read 134,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
He is not going to get it because he doesn't understand what culture is.

It includes a shared language, shared experiences, shared laws, and shared customs. Under that framework maybe he will realize that Europe is a union of many cultures and not one based on race.
There is a deep sense of not wanting to know.

Again race is this fairly recent thing. No one identified as a skin color as a shared identity for most of human history.

Quite literally human history is people with the same skin color killing one another over resources religion, etc.

The idea of race started during the enlightenment. It took hold because of the trans Atlantic slave trade.

There is nothing else to it.

Our nation as a matter of law was for 80% of its history dedicated to white racial dominance explicitly.

And those policies were based on the idea of the white race of whiteness.

So you have this fairly new identity that rose out of slavery that dominated American law absolutely for 80% of our history, so of course objectively it's a topic for study, and of course acknowledging this reality is going to p upset racists or people dedicated to that long standing tradition. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies