Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 10:59 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is the very worst part of Chicago. I don't live there. Guess what. You still haven't given me a reason why I should support S&F. I get nothing from it but a violation of my rights. The most important thing to me is my rights. Making sure my rights are respected. I don't live in the ghetto and I will make sure I don't live there. My rights come first. Benjamin Franklin said he who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security will get neither liberty or security.
As a black person do you resent the poor public relations that rioting etc black ghetto residents give your race?

It seems to me that behavior poisons many of us against a certain number of blacks who behave in that manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
That is the very worst part of Chicago.
No, it isn't you didn't watch the news video. Chatham isn't where the shootings and killings usually happen.

2 brothers killed, 5 others wounded in Chatham shooting | abc7chicago.com

Chatham -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
As a black person do you resent the poor public relations that rioting etc black ghetto residents give your race?

It seems to me that behavior poisons many of us against a certain number of blacks who behave in that manner.
As a Black person, I feel like public relations were poor before those riots began. The riots just gave more people another reason to complain about Blacks. Truth is, there isn't much I can do about the rioters. Nothing I can do about people who will judge me based on the very worst of the Black population. I can only do what is in my control. I would say there was hatred towards Blacks before the riots began. Having dealt with racism during middle school and high school, this is nothing new.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it isn't you didn't watch the news video. Chatham isn't where the shootings and killings usually happen.

2 brothers killed, 5 others wounded in Chatham shooting | abc7chicago.com

Chatham -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com
Well, you still haven't answered MY questions as it applies to me personally.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:17 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Quote:
As a Black person, I feel like public relations were poor before those riots began. The riots just gave more people another reason to complain about Blacks. Truth is, there isn't much I can do about the rioters. Nothing I can do about people who will judge me based on the very worst of the Black population. I can only do what is in my control. I would say there was hatred towards Blacks before the riots began. Having dealt with racism during middle school and high school, this is nothing new.
You make a lot of sense. But I would think you would want to change things. If the ghettos make you squirm imagine what they do to whites. Most all of us would want better race relations in our country. I expected that from Obama's election and as we see, that did not happen.

There is a lot of lopsidedness when it comes to race relations and today's trend of blaming it all on whitey is absurd. The blame needs to be shared. As do the positive points.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
I voted for Trump because there was no other rational candidate.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I voted for Trump because there was no other rational candidate.
Which is why the POTUS section of my ballot was blank.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:55 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I suggest that you put me on your ignore list. Otherwise, you will get very tired of repeating yourself. And, you know what they say about repetition and insanity.

Oh, the irony!

How very sad that you have chosen to remain bitter and angry for the next 4 (hopefully8!) years ahead. As a result, you will be in for a rough time.

You could give Trump a chance. Much as my gut was telling me that Obama was going to be bad for this country (and, no, I didn't vote for McCain---couldn't stomach him either), when Obama got elected, I gave him a chance. Bubba balanced the budget and GW Bush put us in deep debt. I figured that Obama being a democrat, he would improve the budget situation. Sadly, he made it worse.

It's very narrow-minded of you to not be willing to give Trump a chance. You've decided to stay bitter and hateful and keep repeating yourself. However, it's your choice.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
You make a lot of sense. But I would think you would want to change things. If the ghettos make you squirm imagine what they do to whites. Most all of us would want better race relations in our country. I expected that from Obama's election and as we see, that did not happen.

There is a lot of lopsidedness when it comes to race relations and today's trend of blaming it all on whitey is absurd. The blame needs to be shared. As do the positive points.
The ghettos are bad for everyone. No one should be there. Ghettos have been around ever since cities have been around. Race relations have always been bad. This goes back to the days of this country. I look at things based on history. Many things have gotten better. As bad as things are, they are better than in the 1960s or before. I think some things just don't change. For as much as I would want things to change, I know some people will not change. I know that despite the fact that I'm not a hood rat, and most Blacks are bad people, there are those who are going to hate Blacks no matter what. For as much as I wish hood rats would quit being hood rats, I feel like that won't change. I know this from having a few family members like that. Some people just won't listen. I have a childhood classmate who got wrapped up into drugs and hood rat living. He wouldn't listen to me, he won't listen to his family. Some people just won't listen. What do you expect me to do?

The way I see it, Blacks are affected by the ghettos the most because they live there in higher numbers than anyone else. That said, a majority of Blacks don't live in ghettos. Many who have done well for themselves have chosen to go for greener pasture elsewhere. You go where you can survive. Many Blacks have learned that the ghettos are bad for their survival, and have left. When you rise above your own environment, you go elsewhere.

I don't think there is a lopsidedness. I see blame going in both directions. I hear on on the city-data forums all the time. I can start with the threads that start with "why are Blacks....". One reason I find Trump revolting is his retweeting of a Neo-Nazi tweet that had some falsified crime statements regarding Blacks, and then he said he doesn't check his sources. I figured "he got caught and has to come up with an excuse".

Truth is, I get sick and tired of having to answer for the worst of the worst. I don't live in that environment, I would never live there, I didn't grow up in the ghetto. I'm the product of a Black middle class family that lived in a predominantly White, suburban environment. Whatever I know of the ghetto I would know from what my father tells me about his old neighborhood, and whatever I learned from history classes, a sociology class, and from having a nutty relative. I work in a rough area, but I stay in my office for the most part. I know about as much about the ghetto as anyone else and only from an academic sense.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
That is the very worst part of Chicago. I don't live there. Guess what. You still haven't given me a reason why I should support S&F. I get nothing from it but a violation of my rights. The most important thing to me is my rights. Making sure my rights are respected. I don't live in the ghetto and I will make sure I don't live there. My rights come first. Benjamin Franklin said he who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security will get neither liberty or security.
The worst parts of Chicago can easily be a few blocks from a nice neighborhood in Chicago, thats true with alot of cities and places. Gentrification only changes neighborhoods and sends the problems somewhere else, the problems are still there. Stop and frisk and strict gun control made NYC a much safer place than it was, its much safer than Chicago, or at least they did when a republican was mayor.

If people didnt like the gun laws or stop and frisk policies they had in nyc, they were always free to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies