Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 11:41 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
i prefer Zimmern. He's self-deprecating and doesnt try to be "cool guy". He always looks like a tourist and surprises the locals when he eats the most disgusting parts available
Good show too... Bizarre foods.

However, he focuses primarily on the food. You'd be surprised that the most disgusting things he eats aren't mainstream nor a reflection of the local culture/people. He does it for attention.

When Anthony visited Vietnam, he spent a large time of the segment featuring the attitudes, views, perceptions of the "other side". Those that fought against the Americans during the "American War" (We call it the Vietnam war). How surprisingly there is very little animosity towards America.... even a former officer of the Vietcong has moved on with her life. She now cooks local cuisine for visitors and runs an organization to bring those impacted (Americans and Vietnamese) by the war together to help heal.

This is the type of stuff most Americans are simply not exposed to. We see historical events through just the American viewpoint.

Same with the Russian opposition leader to Putin who was interviewed and assassinated a few months after the show aired.

Same with the Iranian couple who was interviewed in hopes to improve relations but only have the husband imprisoned for years after the show aired (he was Iranian-American married to an Iranian woman). He was later released (Part of the Obama Iranian agreement) and the US took in his Iranian wife as a refugee.

While I know Anthony Bourdain probably has help.. writers etc... but that type of coverage seems beyond the scope that Zimmern is capable of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 11:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
i prefer Zimmern. He's self-deprecating and doesnt try to be "cool guy". He always looks like a tourist and surprises the locals when he eats the most disgusting parts available
yeah, zimmerman is fun to watch also, and like feiri has a great sense of humor, but feiri is a bit more outgoing and brash than zimmerman is. feiris crew also pulls some good jokes at feiris expense, and feiri laughs it off. in the end though either one is cool.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:50 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So? Why would I care?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 PM

649 posts, read 316,765 times
Responding to thread title & that's a shame , a real shame I say .

Old 12-23-2016, 12:24 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxon View Post
Who is Anthony Boardain and why should I care where he eats?
Who are you and have you never heard of Google?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
Anthony Boardain is sooooo yesterday.

Who cares where he wants to eat?

Old 12-23-2016, 12:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default Anthony Bourdain Will Never, Ever Eat At Trump’s New Hotel Restaurants

The right always claim very loudly that "We don't care about what celebrities think or say!"

Then they come to forums like this one to obsess over it.

After all, they're the ones who elect celebrities to high office.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:48 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The bizarre foods guy is better but he'll probably never eat at a Trump restaurant either.

He would if they served "balls".... dude loves eating testicles.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The guy supposed to be traveling around the world to show us unique eats. What would he be showing us at Trump's Hotel?

Making a political statement like this is stupid. I never listen to him for real culinary food reviews anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Good show too... Bizarre foods.

However, he focuses primarily on the food. You'd be surprised that the most disgusting things he eats aren't mainstream nor a reflection of the local culture/people. He does it for attention.

When Anthony visited Vietnam, he spent a large time of the segment featuring the attitudes, views, perceptions of the "other side". Those that fought against the Americans during the "American War" (We call it the Vietnam war). How surprisingly there is very little animosity towards America.... even a former officer of the Vietcong has moved on with her life. She now cooks local cuisine for visitors and runs an organization to bring those impacted (Americans and Vietnamese) by the war together to help heal.

This is the type of stuff most Americans are simply not exposed to. We see historical events through just the American viewpoint.

Same with the Russian opposition leader to Putin who was interviewed and assassinated a few months after the show aired.

Same with the Iranian couple who was interviewed in hopes to improve relations but only have the husband imprisoned for years after the show aired (he was Iranian-American married to an Iranian woman). He was later released (Part of the Obama Iranian agreement) and the US took in his Iranian wife as a refugee.

While I know Anthony Bourdain probably has help.. writers etc... but that type of coverage seems beyond the scope that Zimmern is capable of.
Before his show, this is a guy that used to think ethnic food is garbage.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:22 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
I am a fan of Bourdain, and I can honestly say I don't have any reason to eat at Trump's establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies