Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 AM

626 posts, read 381,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well, lets see if you had followed the thread you would have known that the person's parents in question flipped out when they found out he was gay and immediately wanted to send him for conversion therapy. Conversion therapy is, at best, BS medicine and at worst, abusive. So yes, that is some crazy mofo reactions. Who would do that to their child? Right. People who are brainwashed by a church who professes love but then encourages its members to send their loved ones off to these places to get electroshock therapy in order to change their sexual persuasion.

Please don't condescend to me about how intolerant and unaccepting I am. Number one, you have no clue who I surround myself with on a daily basis. Second, you tell me about tolerance and acceptance yet support parents who want to send their children off to get electrified into liking the right person...and I'm wrong? I don't think so, bud.

You want to cherry pick what I've said and pretend you don't know what I mean...go right ahead.
See there you again, bashing religion. I go to church weekly and have never been "brainwashed" by something that you said "encourages its members to send their loved ones off to these places to get electroshock therapy in order to change their sexual persuasion."

Then, you go ahead and say that I support such a sentence even though I have never said anything about that particular incident just because you think I'm Christian and I disagree with you.

Stop making general assumptions about people's' religion because again... it shows how intolerant and unaccepting you are. Your intolerance is blinding you.

I could care less who you surround yourself with, you've been extremely intolerant on this thread towards people that disagree with you.

Some Christians may feel this way, an extremely small minority nonetheless, but quit stereotyping the entire religion. Stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I was torn between picking #2 and #3.

I would have difficulty accepting a gay or lesbian child. And the age they announce it would factor into my reaction and response. And honestly, I wouldn't be automatically accepting of it. I wouldn't be mad, but I would want to have calm discussions about why they felt the way they do. As it is, I have noticed some of my middle-aged former classmates coming out as lesbians, but I believe it to be more of an issue of their sever disappointment with the male companions in their lives, not just solely being attracted to women sexually only.

As to transgender, I don't support anyone being surgically changed into the opposite sex or being given hormonal treatments to change their body. That isn't normal and those that are doing it is just taking advantage of medical science advancements. Insurance shouldn't be paying for it. And if a daughter of mine was not attracted to makeup and dresses, so what? Neither am I. I was a tomboy who liked boys just fine. And as a grownup, I still hate makeup and high heels. And if I had a son that didn't feel like playing sports and acting all tough, and preferred to play with dolls, well that's okay too and doesn't mean that he needs gender re-assignment.

There is far too much stereotyping based on gender going on in our society.

Also, if I had a child who felt shy and uncomfortable about using the boys or girls restrooms at school, then I would tell them to use the unisex/handicapped private stall instead. And if the school didn't have one, I would work to have one added to the school.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Those of us who have heterosexual kids and others who have no kids will never know how we would react if our child was homosexual. Hypothetical answers to hypothetical questions don't mean much. It is easy to make an academic decision if we have never experienced the situation.
Maybe. But most of us childless people have nieces and nephews. This thread basically is asking all of us how we feel about LGBT people.

I can accept their existence, but inside I don't embrace them or consider them the "norm". They are in the minority and I consider their behaviour atypical and not a lifestyle to strive for or be proud of. But like voting for Trump, people like me keep these thoughts inner thoughts so as not to be the recipient of open hostility from Liberals and LGBT people.

And the LGBT community would do more for their cause if they would just be more discrete about their lifestyle. And enough with the gay pride parades. Just act regular and don't push your lifestyle in our faces. I also hate when gays talk in an effeminate way, don't be macho either, just be neutral.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:40 AM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe. But most of us childless people have nieces and nephews. This thread basically is asking all of us how we feel about LGBT people.

I can accept their existence, but inside I don't embrace them or consider them the "norm". They are in the minority and I consider their behaviour atypical and not a lifestyle to strive for or be proud of. But like voting for Trump, people like me keep these thoughts inner thoughts so as not to be the recipient of open hostility from Liberals and LGBT people.

And the LGBT community would do more for their cause if they would just be more discreet about their lifestyle. And enough with the gay pride parades. Just act regular and don't push your lifestyle in our faces. I also hate when gays talk in an effeminate way, don't be macho either, just be neutral.
Many ARE discreet and just live their lives quietly and go about their business. They don't get the attention that the people partaking in some of the wild behavior at gay pride events do and don't like it, either. I've got a married gay couple in my church. Two fairly conservative men, live quietly and do a lot of good for others. You'll never see them in pink boas.

My old neighbor is grieving. His partner of 25 years died the other day in his mid-70s. They also were not flamboyant.

But just like responsible black citizens can't be expected to change ghetto rats and accepting white people can't be expected to fix white-suptemacist bigots, normal-living gay people can't be expected to get the crazy gay crowd to tone it down.

People are individuals and have to be taken as individuals without assigning them assumed characteristics because of other people's behaviors. It takes more thought and effort, but it's the only way, really.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:00 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As to transgender, I don't support anyone being surgically changed into the opposite sex or being given hormonal treatments to change their body. That isn't normal and those that are doing it is just taking advantage of medical science advancements. Insurance shouldn't be paying for it. And if a daughter of mine was not attracted to makeup and dresses, so what? Neither am I. I was a tomboy who liked boys just fine. And as a grownup, I still hate makeup and high heels. And if I had a son that didn't feel like playing sports and acting all tough, and preferred to play with dolls, well that's okay too and doesn't mean that he needs gender re-assignment.
Transgendered is the relationship of gender identity to their physical assigned gender. It doesn't necessarily mean transexual; ie seeking gender reassignment. Its a larger umbrella including those that experience gender dysphoria.

A daughter who prefers activities usually common among boys and a boy who prefers activities common among girls isn't an indicator of transgender. They may very well see their gender identity coincides with physical assigned gender. A tomboy for example still have a female gender identity but just has interests that are predominantly male oriented. This is different from a female who feels more comfortable living a role of a male, considers themselves a male despite being physical female, or is compelled to pursue medical gender reassignment.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 PM

289 posts, read 145,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
See there you again, bashing religion. I go to church weekly and have never been "brainwashed" by something that you said "encourages its members to send their loved ones off to these places to get electroshock therapy in order to change their sexual persuasion."

Then, you go ahead and say that I support such a sentence even though I have never said anything about that particular incident just because you think I'm Christian and I disagree with you.

Stop making general assumptions about people's' religion because again... it shows how intolerant and unaccepting you are. Your intolerance is blinding you.

I could care less who you surround yourself with, you've been extremely intolerant on this thread towards people that disagree with you.

Some Christians may feel this way, an extremely small minority nonetheless, but quit stereotyping the entire religion. Stop.
People like him are nothing but hypocrites. They want the world to accept everyone and everything but they don't have to follow that rule, they can insult your beliefs all day and it's perfectly acceptable.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What would I care who my fictional kid dates as long as they aren't being hurt? What is the point of this thread? Genuine curiosity, or are you fishing for something else?

Are you old enough to support yourself? If you are, then live your own life and hell with them. Don't waste your fricken life trying to be something that you are not. This happens on different scales, not just a gay person, it happens in regards to occupation, likes/dislikes, religion, thoughts/beliefs....

You will hate yourself later if you don't be true to yourself right now. You have one life. Live it as you are. If they can't accept it, that's their problem.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. We all have one life to live. I'm not responsible for my family's happiness and they're not responsible for mine. I'd rather have a real relationship with people who care about me than a fake one just for show. That charade will eat you up from the inside out. Not worth it.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Regardless of age, being alone in the world is scary.
If you're faking it just to please other people, you're alone anyway. Better to strip away the illusions than allow them to become a personal prison

Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's certainly an ingrained trait but we don't know that it's genetic. Logically, the fact that it reduces reproductive fitness should have eliminated homosexuality by now if it was.
Perhaps survival of the tribe involves more than just reproduction. Did you ever consider that?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
To be honest, yes and no.

Yes, I would accept THEM, but I would NOT in any way affirm their lifestyle. I would not, if they were trans, acknowledge their "gender identity" and would still call them by their REAL gender. Nor would I, if they dated or even married, acknowledge their relationship as valid, and, if they were married, I'd be duty bound NOT to attend the "wedding".

(BTW, the same would be true if my child were having affairs outside of marriage or was cheating even in a straight marriage. I would love them but NOT affirm their behavior.)

Accepting someone and accepting their actions are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies