Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:39 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

Even if you don't like anything related to LGBT lifestyle, he/she is still your son/daughter. Any good parent should always love their child, but can still disagree with the decisions and life choices made.

I had a friend in college who came out as gay. His devout Southern Baptist parents pretty much refused to talk to him any further. I told him not to worry about it, because he shouldn't be associating with such close minded people anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:41 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
I remember telling my son when he was about 12 that the only thing that would ever make me disappointed in him is if he were racist. We talked about safe sex and respectful behavior the whole time he was growing up.
I absolutely would have no problem if he had come to me and said he was gay. He's a wonderful person and I love him. I would never deliberately cause him pain.

It was apparent from a very young age that my niece was gay. She received nothing but acceptance from our family, thankfully. Even the people I thought would be unwilling to accept her surprised me. It restored a bit of faith for me.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
To be honest, yes and no.

Yes, I would accept THEM, but I would NOT in any way affirm their lifestyle. I would not, if they were trans, acknowledge their "gender identity" and would still call them by their REAL gender. Nor would I, if they dated or even married, acknowledge their relationship as valid, and, if they were married, I'd be duty bound NOT to attend the "wedding".

(BTW, the same would be true if my child were having affairs outside of marriage or was cheating even in a straight marriage. I would love them but NOT affirm their behavior.)

Accepting someone and accepting their actions are two different things.
What you are doing would NOT be accepting them for who they are. Sorry, but that hurts the person you *say* you accept.

https://letsqueerthingsup.com/2014/0...nder-pronouns/

Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As to transgender, I don't support anyone being surgically changed into the opposite sex or being given hormonal treatments to change their body. That isn't normal and those that are doing it is just taking advantage of medical science advancements.
And once again we see the word "normal" thrown out as if it is in any way meaningful or relevant here, when in fact it is not.

Further, of course they are taking advantage of medical advancements. So too would people who felt the same 100 years ago, had the option been available to them. You are essentially just stating the blatantly obvious now. People who use contraceptive pills are "just taking advantage of medical science advancements" too. As are people getting treated for illnesses we did not have treatments for 100 years ago.

You appear to think you have made a point here somewhere, but I genuinely can not see what you think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I can accept their existence, but inside I don't embrace them or consider them the "norm". They are in the minority and I consider their behaviour atypical and not a lifestyle to strive for or be proud of.
Ah once again "the norm" as if this means something. It doesn't. Further I do not think LGBT people are saying that it is a lifestyle to strive for or be proud of in and of itself. Rather the lifestyle to strive for, and be proud of, is being true to who and what you are. And if it turn out to be homosexual or something similar, then what they strive for is to be true to that, be honest and open about it, and to live in a world where they do not have to hide it, or force themselves to be what they are not, in order to conform to your spurious notions of what "the norm" either is..... or means.

And that lifestyle...... nay that WORLD........ is one that we SHOULD be proud of striving for. And if representatives of generation snowflake like yourself feel that that "pushes it in your face" then you will simply have to start getting over it. Because it is not going away. Nor should it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Jesus mentioned a man and his wife when talking about marriage.
This would thus exclude: 1.) Same-sex "marriage" 2.) Polygamy
And whenever the opinions of a long dead bronze aged carpenters son becomes somehow relevant, I will be more than willing to take note of it. Until then, it is unclear why we should care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Transgenderism though I believe is a mental illness and I'd be intent on having the child growing out of the confusion.
"Mental Illness" is unfortunately a term we often use to describe things we simply do not have an explanation for, until such time as we do.

Take for example people who suffer from actual physical pain in limbs that have been amputated. This, for a time, was considered just to be simple "Mental Illness" of some form. Similar to that, but in the other direction, are the people who have all their limbs but really REALLY want one of them amputated and they feel their limb is a (sometimes painful) intrusion on their life, happiness and well being. AGAIN this is considered by many as a mere "mental illness".

However we since learned that the body and brain maintain different "maps" of the body, and if those "maps" go out of sync it can have very negative repercussions. Including actual physical pain or the desire to have part of their body removed or changed. It is not "mental illness" in so far as there are genuine, real, understandable, underlying causes for it and they symptoms have genuine reason.

It is VERY likely in my opinion that something very similar is going on with people who feel they are the wrong gender. And the complexities of what that is are hidden behind catch all terms like "mental illness".

The question is, if their causes are genuine, then how should we treat them? It is a similar question to those who want to have their limb removed. It seems mentally ill to us, and crazy to want that. It is outside what we could understand. But since we know they have a GENUINE issue and since we know that removal of the limb is the treatment that works...... and brings them relief and well being..... why should we not do it? And if we do it for them, why not for others who suffer similarly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I don't care what libs say, gender and biological sex is the same thing.
Well that you declare you do not care what anyone says, just shows how biased and entrenched in your position you are. To pre-declare yourself to be immune to reason and argument is nothing to be proud of.

But the fact is there are differences. There is much more to "gender" than the mere contents of ones underwear, or ones role in the process of reproduction. "Gender" manifests itself also in our psychology, and in our place in society, to name but two massive examples. If you conflate the two in a 1:1 equivalence you are simply going to willfully ignore nuances and complexities that are simply inconvenient to your narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies