Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
If they can not establish their position by the scientific method, then they have none and we are back to faith in the word.
For someone claiming to not be taking part in the thread, this was a pretty long post you made. However the simple fact is that the one not using the scientific method is you. You have for example not offered a SHRED of scientific basis for declaring homosexuality a "mental illness". What you HAVE done is shown your bias by bemoaning the reasons it was taken off the list of such illnesses, while withholding that very same argument for bemoaning why it was present on that list in the first place. The mask for some people does not take long to slip it seems.

Quote:
I refuse to discuss with these people, they hate Christians and they are upset that I claim homosexuality to be a mental illness.
Inventing an imputing emotions that are not there is not likely to rebut things that are said, or make them go away. The simple fact is I, for one, am not "upset" by anything you have said. I do not need to be upset in order to simply point out your errors and fallacies and internal incoherencies and contradictions.

Quote:
There is no argument, only anger and every point I prove of theirs invalid, the more angry they get until this turns into a locked thread, so do as you will...
Yet not only is there no anger in my posts, you have absolutely and utterly failed to show a SINGLE point of mine to be invalid. Let alone "every point". Perhaps you can make the attempt to do so next time your pretense to not be taking part in the thread slips, and you get around to replying to my previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
42 people could not accept. Disgusting.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:57 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The Bible is not the word of God. Its man's manipulation and interpretation of God's word. And that, my friend, is a FACT.
Exactly.

God didn't write the Bible. A lot of different people, mostly men, did. Hence all that nonsense about how women need to be subservient to men.

The Bible was pulled together from a lot of different writings that were discovered over the years. Some writings were included. Others left out. Then it was translated time and again. There have been endless arguments over the meanings of certain words.

Folks then take vague phrases and twist them to suit their own purposes.

For example, "Spare the rod. Spoil the child." How many have used this to justify physical punishment?

But think for a minute. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Who the hell would be comforted by being beaten with a rod? That doesn't even make sense.

Rods and staffs are used as canes and by shepherds who would use them to gently guide their sheep in the direction they want them to go. They don't beat them with these sturdy sticks. That would be a fiasco.

I grew up on a farm. You start beating the sheep and they would run madly this way and that, bleating and getting everyone in a turmoil. Any shepherd who beat his sheep with his rod and staff would be spending a good bit of his time rounding up sheep. You wouldn't be in the shepherd business very long if you beat the sheep.

Thus the logical meaning of "your rod and your staff, they comfort me" is that one is comforted by knowing they can lean on God and count on Him to gently guide them along.

Thus "Spare the rod. Spoil the child." most likely means that parents need to invest the time and energy in gently guiding/nudging children along in the right direction, otherwise they will end up spoiled.

Given all that Jesus taught about loving one another, and "Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." ... In your wildest imagination, there is just no way to come up with Jesus encouraging parents to beat their children with thick sticks.

Yet look at how many have.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And where homosexuality is mentioned? Its been known in scholarly circles for years that the original word in the original language of the Bible did not mean what we think of as homosexuality today.
There is a fairly convincing argument to be made that the sin of the Sodomites was not homosexuality but poor hospitality.

I've always loved the story of the Good Samaritan.

It's worth rereading in these troubled times.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
42 people could not accept. Disgusting.
Unfortunately it is one of the major causes of teenage runaway. About a third of teenage runaways identify as gay.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
My kids are my kids. Until I die. They will always be my kids.

Happy? Nope. But Id just have to deal with it and love my kids. Thats Dad job 1.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is a fairly convincing argument to be made that the sin of the Sodomites was not homosexuality but poor hospitality.

I've always loved the story of the Good Samaritan.

It's worth rereading in these troubled times.
Disagree. We did this one in church. Note tho that the Sodomites were VERY VERY aggressive about it also.

God is God. I believe. I also understand I cannot begin to truly fathom or ascribe human perceptions to infinity.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 AM

There have always been parents who have had a fit about accepting certain things about their children.

A Catholic child marrying someone of the Jewish faith can give both sides conniption fits.

Ditto when a black child marries a white one.

Or when your child choses another of the same sex to build a life with.

The argument is always about troubled times ahead. I understand that. One of my sisters married an alcoholic. We all tried to talk her out of it, but she wouldn't listen. We loved her anyway, but were heartbroken at the hard life she had because of this.

Being homosexual is not a choice. It's who they are. I would no more turn my back on my child for being gay, than I would for being short or ...

That said, my heart would still hurt for a while. But I would take a good hard look at my religious believes if it meant turning my heart against my child.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
My kids are my kids. Until I die. They will always be my kids.

Happy? Nope. But Id just have to deal with it and love my kids. Thats Dad job 1.
You got it.

Sometimes when they are the least lovable is when they need your love the most.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope. Please don't play the dumbass "are you saying...?" game as a vehicle to make it look as though I said something other than what I did. It's an immature and tiresome old trick.

Oh, and don't send me nasty insults under the guise of a rep comment. Do it again and you will be reported.
I usually copy and paste those comments right into the thread and answer them publicly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies