Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So far, no one here has answered my question. If homosexuality is a choice, then heterosexuality must also be a choice. So when did any of you CHOOSE heterosexuality? I didn't choose it. I was simply was attracted to the opposite sex when I was a teenager.
They won't answer it. I've used this line for years and never have I received an answer.

I'm a woman and from the earliest memories I have, I can tell you I liked males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
If they wanted to function in society as everyone else, they wouldn't be seeking special treatment, acknowledgment and acceptance to their abnormality.

Don't confuse love with punishment. Does a parent stop loving their child when they punish them? A parent does not have to accept wrong doing of their child in order to love them.
They aren't seeking special treatment. They are seeking equal rights.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Homosexuality is a sin. You can not promote sin and be of Christ. You either serve man, or you serve God, there are no two masters.
You might want to confer with your Lutheran, Presbyterian, United Church of Christ, Methodist, and Episcopal brothers and sisters.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I think I am going to move along, it is obvious where this is going and soon there will be personal attacks.

I have no desire to argue over this.
Typical.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Businesses already can weed out certain customers they don't want by marketing themselves in certain ways. Bars/restaurants do this all the time, by making the atmosphere uncomfortable for certain types of people. No laws are necessary. Want to have a bar that primarily caters to yuppies and upper-income clientele? Make the atmosphere such and market it such that lower-class rednecks wouldn't be comfortable there. Want a redneck bar? Play country music, have plenty of neon macro-brew signs, sawdust on the floor, and have a mechanical bull. Certain nightclubs keep out segments of the population by only playing certain music i.e. one club I went to in Memphis played only EDM and wouldn't play hip-hop. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

If a business doesn't want to serve LGBT people, decorate it with items that let the customer know the owner is a fundamentalist Christian. Maybe plaster the walls with "Make America Great Again" stickers and Focus on the Family advertisements. Unless they are the only game in town, most LGBT people will go somewhere else.

If you want to tailor your business towards a certain customer, that is what you do. Businesses should not however be able to say "we wont serve X kind here."
Marketing to a certain population while having an open door policy is so completely not the same as discrimination.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
No I believe in the facts, you have none, animals do a lot of things like eating their young but that doesn't mean it's okay for you to do it. a dog will hump your leg so what does that mean? i don't think you would want to try that on someone well at least I wouldn't. Animals sex drive is triggered by instincts and hormones most animals would hump a knothole when they are in heat. LOL like I said believe what makes you feel better but it's not a fact.
I've posted several fact bearing links which you've chosen to ignore. Like I said, I've dealt with your type before. You can lead a horse to water...

Old 12-28-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I have that issue in my life. I love my child and always will, but my heart is broken for them. I will never view this new person as the child I gave birth to and bonded with, because their views are too different from my own and those they were raised with. I will always love the child I gave birth to, but I cannot see how I could ever except this stranger who I shared 19 years of life with. I pray for their safety and solitude, but there is nothing about the LGBTQ lifestyle that I find that brings a person and the world spiritual value.

I implore you to find a way to come to terms with this as soon as possible. This is person is still the child you gave birth to and they need you because you are their parent and guide. Imagine getting a call in the middle of the night that your child has died in a car accident. Does their sexual preference seem so important then?

Praying for you and your child.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Should adultery become acceptable as that is just who they are?
Should beastality become acceptable as that is just who they are?
Should rapists become acceptable as that is just who they are?

No of course not. They all deserve HELP even if it isn't your pet vice.

It's amazing to me how much discrimination there is against people who come out as homosexuals.
As if they are somehow different and cannot change versus the above. They need help and they have a right to help. Feigning you care about them while perpetuating their lie and encouraging it is evil.
People please learn to CARE about EVERYONE
JFC.

Do you not understand that homosexuality is an activity that hurts no one?

It is absolutely NO DIFFERENT from heterosexuality except for who the parties are attracted to. Fact.

Bestiality hurts animals. Fact.

Adultery is a broken trust. Fact.

Rape hurts people by forcing them to perform sexual acts or having sexual acts performed on them without their permission. Fact.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I find transgender people to be very selfish and vain. They focus on themselves and how they feel, how they look, how they should feel, how people should view them and accept them and make THIER life easier.
Have you heard of "Observer Effects" as a subset of "confirmation biases"?

It is the phenomenon by which humans can look at, say, 10,000 people where a LARGE % of that 10,000 are performing some action "X". And observers will tend to note action "X" being performed by a sub-group "Y" but ignore it when anyone else performs it. EVEN IF the quantity of people doing it outside "Y" is as big as, or even larger than, people inside group "Y".

And this observer effect is a consequence of confirmation bias of the narrative people have of that group in general.

So for example people who think Taxi Drivers are arrogant, impatient and aggressive on the roads. In a given month such people might get "cut off" on the road 20 times. And 2 or 3 of those times will be by Taxi Drivers. So they NOTE the 2 or 3 times and it ramifies their bias against taxi drivers. But they entirely ignore, and filter out, the 17 or 18 people who were not taxi drivers but did the exact same thing.

Why am I mentioning this? Well the things you list.... selfishness, vanity, concern with appearance, concern with how they are viewed......... these are traits that are predominant in our ENTIRE species......... yet you are noting/commenting/highlighting them in a particular sub-group.

Why only this morning I was learning about people who go through awfully painful procedures JUST to get a little bit taller. And I was reading a LONG thread about the type of people who park in Disabled parking spots in Supermarkets while in no way disabled themselves solely because it "makes THIER life easier"

I think you are engaging in the self confirmation of the observer effect therefore. Especially given the group you are highlighting will be self selecting. In that you are not inclined to include those people who do not stand out enough to be noticed, and hence do not actually fit the criteria you list.

Generally PEOPLE are selfish and vain and self-obsessed in their appearance and neurotic about how others view them. These are common traits in HUMANS. That you single out Transgenders as if they somehow magically are the ones with those traits, let alone in some disproportionate quantity relative to the rest of our society......... is just a narrative fueled expression of confirmation bias and little else.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Should adultery become acceptable as that is just who they are?
It is an immoral breach of trust, contract (social or legal), and involves deception, hurt and the painful end of relationships.

Quote:
Should beastality become acceptable as that is just who they are?
In sex and sexuality we have a concept of "informed consent". Not just consent but INFORMED consent. That is, to consent to a sexual act, one has to be deemed to be above a threshold of capability to meaningfully consent to the act. Children and animals are not deemed to be above that threshold.

Quote:
Should rapists become acceptable as that is just who they are?
Rape is an horrific act of aggression, violence, and the destruction of "consent" in all it's forms.

Quote:
It's amazing to me how much discrimination there is against people who come out as homosexuals. As if they are somehow different and cannot change versus the above. They need help and they have a right to help.
Homosexual expression between adults is NONE of the things I listed above. It is not immoral. It is not unethical. It is not a breach of consent at all, let alone informed consent. It is not an act of aggression, of violence, or the breach of trust. It does not involve deception. It is not harmful or damaging. It does not cause in and of itself the enf of relationships.

It is, in and of itself, entirely innocent of all the things that indict the other things you have listed.

So no, they do not "need" your help. Nor do most of them "want" your help. And they do not appear to have anything to apologize for, OR to justify. Least of all to you. The only "help" they apparently require is that of educating the minority of haters who espouse unsubstantiated clap trap about who they are, what they are, and what they "need".

Quote:
Feigning you care about them while perpetuating their lie and encouraging it is evil. People please learn to CARE about EVERYONE
Tell the mirror because I already do, and I feign nothing. What "lie" is being perpetuated exactly? Because the only ones I am seeing, are yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies