Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:44 PM

626 posts, read 382,041 times

Advertisements

Would I print out a paper with SIN written on it and staple it to his/her/its neck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM

15,884 posts, read 21,495,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I have already gotten that call and was there with love. As I said, it is not about disowning my child. It is about the heartbreak of having given birth to a stranger. Someone who has no vestiges of the person I knew for the last 2 decades. I truly appreciate your prayers. Thank you.
It must be so sad to find out that your parent of 2 decades is a stranger and unworthy of respect. I hope your child remembers your treatment of him when you get old and treats you appropriately - like a stranger.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM

778 posts, read 340,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It must be so sad to find out that your parent of 2 decades is a stranger and unworthy of respect. I hope your child remembers your treatment of him when you get old and treats you appropriately - like a stranger.

Thanks for your kindness.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM

51,670 posts, read 25,927,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It happens to the best of families. In fact, the more you love them and the more they know that, the worse they treat you.

Your hope for this mother is just mean. I've noticed many people post mean-spirited advice and I often wonder if they actually think this is helpful or if their lives are such that the bile just spills over into C-D posts.

Hope things get better for you.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:09 PM

778 posts, read 340,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Then hang in there. You raised this child with love and that will eventually win out.

19 is a dreadful age. They are rebelling and trying to find out who they are separate from you. It seems as if the kids who know they are loved to the moon and back and nothing they will ever do can change that, that you will always be there of them... well, they seem the ones who are are the most dreadful because they are secure in your love. Roots and all, you know.

So the more this child is selfish, lazy, self-centered... the more they know that they can count on your love and that will never change.

I know it is discouraging. Our kids made fun of the way we lived, what we did, what we believed was important. I can tell you how many times I wanted to slap them.

Take heart, in a couple years they settle down and by their mid-twenties they come back to how they were raised.

When our youngest was filing out college applications, she asked me to write a reference for her. I am ashamed to say I wrote two pages about how she was self-centered, unkind, rude... Fortunately, we threw that letter away.

She's in her thirties now and practically my clone. (Don't tell her. )

Hang in there. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, but it takes awhile.

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
― Mark Twain

Hugs.

Thanks very much for your kindness and understanding.

Of course, I will always be there for this child and that is something that is clearly expressed in words and deed. Just say that this is truly a painful time to be a parent to a child who is struggling with life. The issue is not their orientation or gender choices, it is more about how those declarations seem to be the sole and preoccupying forces in their life right now. I have a brother who succumbed to schizophrenia at 19 and although I preached against smoking pot, I have learned that this kid has smoked extensively. So my fear is more that there are underlying mental issues that are not being addressed, because the focus is now on transgender activism and not on what it means to have a healthy mental outlook and how important it is to develop all the facets of your personality and talents instead of the constant focus on one facet. I know that this is a really hard time in the parent/child relationship and I am a strong believer in giving a child support during their push for independence, but it really hurts when you see that the struggle is not moving your child in a direction where you can feel that they will have a safe and happy future.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:09 PM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
This has more in common with Satanism than it does Christianity. You are effectively saying that the Word of God is false, that it can be picked and chosen from like a buffet to fit the desire of the reader. This is contrary to the Word of God and creates numerous conflicts within the Bible itself to even proclaim. This means the Bible is worthless and man just makes up what they like about the Word of God and lives as they feel is best.

Warning to all, this is not the message of Christ, following this message will lead you away from God. You were warned.
Lmao, no, that's not what I said or believe at all, but I could have predicted this response! Do not worry about me. Speck/log, you know the rest.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,364,855 times
Quote:
You should spend a bit more time reading this thread. It was answered in it and I am no longer taking part in it.
Yes it was answered. Just not to your preconceived notions nor satisfaction.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
River, Ringo is lying to you. You see, they are afraid to even let you see my argument because they know theirs is lacking. Go ahead, look at my scripture references back through the thread, follow their links they give and then look up the arguments, the counter arguments and the information. Do so scientifically mind you, do not accept "supposition" as evidence as at that point, we are back to them asking you to believe over another.

If they can not establish their position by the scientific method, then they have none and we are back to faith in the word.

I refuse to discuss with these people, they hate Christians and they are upset that I claim homosexuality to be a mental illness. All they want to do now is thrash about, gnash their teeth, and make accusations. I have been down this road far too many times to waste it again with these types. There is no argument, only anger and every point I prove of theirs invalid, the more angry they get until this turns into a locked thread, so do as you will...
Uh no. I encourage everyone to read that exchange. As soon as your beliefs were challenged you hightailed it and shut down the conversation, refusing to answer any more questions or posts on it. I also encourage everyone to read much more than the Bible. Listen to biblical and historical scholars, especially those with a background in archaeology, ancient history and language.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
This has more in common with Satanism than it does Christianity. You are effectively saying that the Word of God is false, that it can be picked and chosen from like a buffet to fit the desire of the reader. This is contrary to the Word of God and creates numerous conflicts within the Bible itself to even proclaim. This means the Bible is worthless and man just makes up what they like about the Word of God and lives as they feel is best.

Warning to all, this is not the message of Christ, following this message will lead you away from God. You were warned.
The Bible is not the word of God. Its man's manipulation and interpretation of God's word. And that, my friend, is a FACT.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The New Testament barely mentions anything related to homosexuality, and nothing directly, apparently.

https://www.westarinstitute.org/reso...homosexuality/

You're not going to find Jesus saying anything about it in those books.
And where homosexuality is mentioned? Its been known in scholarly circles for years that the original word in the original language of the Bible did not mean what we think of as homosexuality today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies