Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 AM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

so is this the 2nd thread of the same thing- ? Ministry of Truth - Now Law - 12/23/2016 -- that was posted yesterday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 11:58 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
No possibility of abuse here. Just like there was no possibility of the NSA spying on Americans based on the powers granted to the by the Patriot Act.

This is a big deal people.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:09 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,103,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You Republicans sure do like your fake news, don't ya?
Did you not see the link I posted in the OP?

I posted a link to a progressive site that was reporting this.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:28 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
At least 7 members of the Senate believe in free speech.
Easy to look that way when you know it is going to pass. Thought you would know that. FYI, it has nothing to do with freedom of speech, did you miss what the bill actually means or you just jumping on another bandwagon?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:00 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Easy to look that way when you know it is going to pass. Thought you would know that. FYI, it has nothing to do with freedom of speech, did you miss what the bill actually means or you just jumping on another bandwagon?
This has everything to do with free speech. Shame on Congress for passing this law and Obama for signing the bill.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Did you not see the link I posted in the OP?

I posted a link to a progressive site that was reporting this.
Props to you for your sourcing. It is indeed a progressive website.

However: "foreign state and non-state propaganda and disinformation efforts aimed at undermining United States national security interests."

It is, not to my cursory understanding, aimed at silencing any dissent from within our borders, just to combat foreign influence in our media, such as shaping public opinion thru propaganda.

I mean, we already have FOX News for that. And this law won't affect them (sadly)

Old 12-27-2016, 03:50 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Give Obama a Nazi salute and the rest of them that voted for it. I see we have a few shills here that have done just that.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Already here... and it's bi-partisan...

Ministry of Truth - Now Law - 12/23/2016
Did anyone seriously expect otherwise?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
We all knew it was coming.

Obama signed a law allowing a government to label something propaganda, and restrict reporting on it.

This is full on Soviet Union style censorship of information.

I included a link to a progressive site so the dems would believe it.

Under Cover of Christmas, Obama Establishes Anti-Free Press Agency

In the final hours before the Christmas holiday weekend, U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday quietly signed the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law—and buried within the $619 billion military budget is a controversial provision that establishes a national anti-propaganda center that critics warn could be dangerous for press freedoms.

Further, the law authorizes grants to non-governmental agencies to help "collect and store examples in print, online, and social media, disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda" directed at the U.S. and its allies, as well as "counter efforts by foreign entities to use disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda to influence the policies and social and political stability" of the U.S. and allied nations.

Under Cover of Christmas, Obama Establishes Controversial Anti-Propaganda Agency | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community
Let's assume the heart of this story is true.

It would certainly be a tremendous kick to the teeth of would-be presidents-elect who believe they can conduct policy in Twitter, would it not?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Give Obama a Nazi salute and the rest of them that voted for it. I see we have a few shills here that have done just that.
Sorry but that salute belongs to a segment of the trump supporters, maybe they can come up with something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies