Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 05:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Why the [i]global[/] financial crisis?
I addressed that. What I addressed here and you replied to was what it was. I didn't blame the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Are you asking why some use the 'butterfly efflect' to explain complex problems?
No, explain the entire thing, don't deflect from the guilty. There were many bad players here, including Clinton.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:03 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
If lending to poor American people caused the financial crisis, why was it a global crisis?
It was a global debt crisis, much of which was precipitated by the threat of Fannie and Freddie-issued MBS, which foreign banks had bought and was counted as part of the capital on which their lending was based (fractional reserve lending), being worthless.

Remember all the uproar about the Bailout Bill that most Americans didn't want? Listen very carefully to what Congressman Brad Sherman says about where that money was supposed to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9gtf6nT3zg

Eventually, the Fed Gov got around that by creating $2 trillion in additional national debt and having the Federal Reserve buy and hold $2 trillion worth of Fannie and Freddie MBS on their balance sheet. Those mortgage backed securities will eventually roll off the balance sheet as they mature, even though many will default, and taxpayers are stuck with that additional $2 trillion in national debt yearly interest and all. There's still $1.75 trillion worth of those MBS on the Federal Reserve's balance sheet.

De facto bailout for Freddie and Fannie? - Roosevelt Forward

Old 01-02-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Please tell me more about the 'bundling'. Who did the bundling? How were decisions made about what to bundle?
Where exactly are you going here? We all know what happened. I am NOT trying to excuse the banks. I placed most all of the blame in their laps. I was pissed when Obama lied to us and did not prosecute them like he promised to do. There are a long list of bankers that should have been ruined and sent to prison. We hurt the poor and rewarded the bankers.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:17 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Fed Gov tells banks to lend to the poor. Consequently, banks lend to the poor, many of whom can't pay their mortgages.

Do you finally see where the problem lies? Go to the source of the problem: the Fed Gov.

Banks don't enter into contracts in which it's likely they'll lose money. They only made the loans to the poor because 1) the Fed Gov told them to and 2) They knew they could sell those loans to Fannie and Freddie which had been mandated by the Clinton/Cuomo-era HUD, as a parting shot at Bush before he took office, to have over 50% of the loans they buy from banks be made to low-income and/or credit-compromised borrowers.

Here's the HUD document:

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/Publications/PDF/gse.pdf
As usual, an overly simplistic view of what actually happened and how the rich benefited from this government action.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Smile Previous posts exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You mean you actually like those trailer park dwelling, meth using, toothless, sister humping, high school dropping out, sleeveless t-shirt wearing, racist, homophobic, misogynist working class folk who live in worthless red states.

Can't tell reading some of the posters here who've said all of the above and more. In fact I seem to remember you saying similar things. I'd classify it as "contempt", but that's just me.
Best post yet. If you consistently mock working class Americans and then think a new post will have everyone forget previous posts, that's called hypocrisy . Happy New Year!!

Old 01-02-2017, 05:27 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As usual, an overly simplistic view of what actually happened and how the rich benefited from this government action.
Really? Have you not seen my other posts going into greater detail? Plus, I posted the actual Clinton/Cuomo-era HUD document on the lending mandates.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:49 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where exactly are you going here? We all know what happened. I am NOT trying to excuse the banks. I placed most all of the blame in their laps. I was pissed when Obama lied to us and did not prosecute them like he promised to do. There are a long list of bankers that should have been ruined and sent to prison. We hurt the poor and rewarded the bankers.
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree about getting past the blame game. The blame game does nothing or very little IF the focus is on troubleshooting or resolving or solving problems. The blame game sets up inertia, that's all, & very little else, often viewed as a mental masturbatory strategy, or some type of Orwellian 'duckspeak'.

Take this unhelpful (IF problem solving is the focus) response to a previously poorly or undefined contextual analysis of the recent global financial imbroglio:

Aside from the impossibility of 'time travel' as a strategy, how is it helpful to blame 1 person for a global financial crisis? Is it the 'butterfly effect' or what?

Why not take a more critical thinking styled approach?

The following piece even contains a recommendation for those diehards who authoritatively insist on playing the Blame Games:

Lending to Poor People Didn't Cause the Financial Crisis

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...nancial-crisis
Where I'd like to be going is getting back to troubleshooting or resolving or solving problems using a critical thinking framework.

We (speaking about the US here) are capable of doing so, & we've done it before & when we had a similar situation.

Consider how Glass-Stegall Act came into existence. The legislation stemmed from the Pecora investigation, & recommendations were made based on the findings to prevent recurrence. (Mr. Pecora wrote a book explaining the circumstances surrounding, his conclusions based on a summary of evidence, recommendations, & directed follow-up actions, etc.)

The 'usual suspects' have been chipping away at GSA since its inception & bit by bit stripping it of its effectiveness in both protecting the stability of the economy & in preventing another 'great depression' like economic event.

The Savings & Loan scandals of the 1980s apparently taught US very little or nothing. Similar systemic risks, including the morally hazardous conditions were considered 'scandalous' then & now? It's the new normal.

The stunningly familiar ideology enabling all three systemic financial imbroglios is one recommending that government be small enough to strangle in a bathtub & little or no regulation to prevent recurrence.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:49 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? Have you not seen my other posts going into greater detail? Plus, I posted the actual Clinton/Cuomo-era HUD document on the lending mandates.
Perhaps I missed those posts.

You seem to be placing the whole of the blame on the government and the poor while ignoring the many rich people who benefited from this scheme.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Where I'd like to be going is getting back to troubleshooting or resolving or solving problems using a critical thinking framework.
You can't do that without understanding why something happened.

Quote:
We (speaking about the US here) are capable of doing so, & we've done it before & when we had a similar situation.

Consider how Glass-Stegall Act came into existence. The legislation stemmed from the Pecora investigation, & recommendations were made based on the findings to prevent recurrence. (Mr. Pecora wrote a book explaining the circumstances surrounding, his conclusions based on a summary of evidence, recommendations, & directed follow-up actions, etc.)

The 'usual suspects' have been chipping away at GSA since its inception & bit by bit stripping it of its effectiveness in both protecting the stability of the economy & in preventing another 'great depression' like economic event.

The Savings & Loan scandals of the 1980s apparently taught US very little or nothing. Similar systemic risks, including the morally hazardous conditions were considered 'scandalous' then & now? It's the new normal.

The stunningly familiar ideology enabling all three systemic financial imbroglios is one recommending that government be small enough to strangle in a bathtub & little or no regulation to prevent recurrence.
We put people in prison over the S&L scandal. Enron gave us Sarbanes Oxley and we have refused to enforce it. How do you resolve a problem when those in charge of doing that refuse to use the tools they had to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies