Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

It sounds to me that the state of California is embarking on a great social experiment with its troubled children pretty much like the nation has embarked on another great social experiment by electing Donald Trump to the Presidency.

If California fails, its troubled children will suffer even more than they do now.

If Trump fails, all of us will suffer like California's troubled children.

Let us hope both succeed for their sakes and ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:02 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It sounds to me that the state of California is embarking on a great social experiment with its troubled children pretty much like the nation has embarked on another great social experiment by electing Donald Trump to the Presidency.

If California fails, its troubled children will suffer even more than they do now.

You mean they stopped criminalizing the victim?

The horror.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You mean they stopped criminalizing the victim?

The horror.
I suppose that's the law's intent, but what do I know? I don't live in California.

All I know is there will always be street kids. Street kids do what they do to get along, and part of getting along requires money to some degree.

While I'm unfamiliar with the law, and believe not criminalizing victims is a good thing in general, street kids, in my observation, are not always victims of anything except themselves and their immature behavior.

If I was the Boss of the World, I would devise a way where every unhappy runaway or thrown away kid could get a better job to survive than prostitution until they matured and settled down, but life isn't like that, and I'm not the Boss of the World.

I've been around the world, though, and I've seen lots of very young street hookers everywhere I've ever been. I wish California the best, but I doubt this social experiment will change very much for the better. But as an optimist, I can hope it does.

The same applies to Trump. I worry about him a lot more than any street kid, because he can mess around with my life, and they cannot. At 72, I'm an old man, and far too old to be any kind of street hooker.

Who knows? If Cheeto Jesus turns out to be worse than I imagine, I could end up in Cali seeking protection of my own from his hanky-panky. I'm just glad one big state didn't buy into his BS.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I like your post, but only one of the above is a victimless crime. Most of these children didn't choose what happened to them. In a way, maybe you're right, since most Americans didn't choose Trump either.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm good with that. I am pro-life and I say this knowing it's not going to happen BUT I would do the same with abortion if made illegal. I would only arrest the doctor. No one would go to jail though. What a waste of resources. The doctor would simply lose his license.

I would do the same with illegals. Arrest the one who hires them. Take their business license and hit them with a huge fine. You address the ones with the most to lose.

In this case the one paying would get arrested. They would get booked, the whole thing would get noted in the paper and there would be a nice fine to pay. That money would be 100% directed to help the other half of equation.
Although we differ on some issues, I do agree that putting people in jail for nonviolent crimes like prostitution is wasteful. Nationwide it costs an average of more than $35,000 a year to keep one person in prison for a year. In states like New York and California the costs are significantly higher. I've seen studies that estimate it costs anywhere from $60,000 to over $100,000 to house, feed and guard just one prisoner in areas like NYC. I would imagine that counseling and educational programs cost a lot less. Also, a criminal record will follow someone wherever he goes. A young person who turns his life around can become a productive member of society and that benefits everyone.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:22 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
What to score on the under age and get away with it? Become a priest.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes because Democrats have never been convicted of similar crimes ..
Just WOW!

Whoever passed this law must really like being visited by underage prostitutes or are just plain dumb.

Either way some underagers get the green light to make some extra cash with impunity.
And if anyone is dumb enough to think there aren't any underage independent prostitutes, get your head out from under the sand and look around.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:42 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Just WOW!

Whoever passed this law must really like being visited by underage prostitutes or are just plain dumb.

Either way some underagers get the green light to make some extra cash with impunity.
And if anyone is dumb enough to think there aren't any underage independent prostitutes, get your head out from under the sand and look around.
As others have noted, the original article posted by the OP is pure spin. It is still illegal for Californians to hire prostitutes*(child or otherwise), and sex traffickers will still face consequences if they are caught prostituting*children.

The new law also authorizes that the minor engaging in prostitution be taken into temporary custody and made a dependent of the court so they can be provided services.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
They AREN'T prostitute. They are kids AND you shouldn't have sex with them. Republicans, I'm looking at YOU.

Here's a huge list of convicted Republican Child Sex offenders. Funny how they didn't make it on the Conservative controlled media.
Republican List
what conservative controlled media? And no one thinks kids being paid to have sex with anyone is ok. Did the OP say it was just one party, not the other? As usually you are spinning again. Do you ever get dizzy? May I also mention you refer to family values: this goes a little deeper than family values.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh brother. Yes probably to feed a drug habit, get money to eat, etc. Real "choice" there.
Why do you think you should make choices for other people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies