Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm all in on UHC. But the Republicans who run things now are clearly not going there. Repeal is the name of their game and it is going to have profound economic and political costs for them if they go through with it.
You are condemning them for something that what you support would do many times over. It just makes you look bad.

Quote:
They can repeal without the Dems, but replace with be impossible. Don't expect much help from Schumer unless the plan is something more UHC-like. Who knows, though? GOP passed Medicare Part D under considerable pressure from rising drug costs. Wouldn't it be the sweetest irony if they ended up replacing Obamacare with UHC?

The GOP can do the same thing the (D)'s did. Pass it through reconciliation.

I would give them all the credit in the world if they did the right thing even if for the wrong reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:43 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Republicans have nerve introducing this crap. They keep this up and it may lead to lots of people in an uproar. Start with the phone calls and drive them crazy. Don't accept this people. We have plenty of money for bomb building and corporate welfare. Find some damn money for your citizens healthcare. Is this what you voted for??????

Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM

486 posts, read 654,787 times
Opening up state lines for insurance companies won't matter because they'll all get together and collude to set the price of insurance, just like your local gas stations do.

If that $4690 tax "credit" is actually a payment to me once a year, it will cover my current health insurance premium for 5 months. I guess I get to guess what 5 months to get coverage and I'm SOL for the other 7 months. I currently get a subsidy of $660 a month. Household income of $32K.

Florida refused to expand Medicaid and Scott will continue to refuse to do so as will whatever Republican follows him in 2018. The only people eligible for Medicaid in Florida are the ones with kids. Scott also refused to establish a state insurance exchange. Anyone here with low income and no kids cannot get insurance.

Last edited by FloridaHappy; 01-05-2017 at 06:53 PM..

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Republicans have nerve introducing this crap. They keep this up and it may lead to lots of people in an uproar. Start with the phone calls and drive them crazy. Don't accept this people. We have plenty of money for bomb building and corporate welfare. Find some damn money for your citizens healthcare. Is this what you voted for??????
I agree. Too bad the (D)'s didn't do this under Obama when the odds would have been much better.

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm all in on UHC. But the Republicans who run things now are clearly not going there. Repeal is the name of their game and it is going to have profound economic and political costs for them if they go through with it. They can repeal without the Dems, but replace will be impossible. Don't expect much help from Schumer unless the plan is something more UHC-like. Who knows, though? GOP passed Medicare Part D under considerable pressure from rising drug costs. Wouldn't it be the sweetest irony if they ended up replacing Obamacare with UHC?
Universal Health Care makes the most sense.

Would it work to let people buy into Medicare?

That system is all set up.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Hear. Hear.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:47 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Conservative Republicans unveil Obamacare replacement bill

http://energycommerce.house.gov/site...E-Act-Plan.pdf

It seems like Republicans alternative is basically turning Medicaid into a block-grant program for the states and tax credits that would be $1,970 for adults ages 18-34, $3,190 credit for 35 to 49 and $4,690 for adults 50-64.

Looks like for families the credit would be $8,330 for 35-49 and $11,100 for 50-64.

The income limit under the plan is 300% poverty level.

It seems like overall that neither the Republican plan or Obamacare plan is appealing.
Is the bill written in English or Russian?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Universal Health Care makes the most sense.

Would it work to let people buy into Medicare?

That system is all set up.
We could just levy a higher FICA tax rate, so that employers and employees contribute 50% each plus make it progressive so that the highest earners (measured by earned income + investment income) pays more.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
To my fellow liberals.

Please stop whining. We lost. Just let the republicans do whatever they want. Don't protest or do any other stupid thing.

Let the republicans pass whatever health care plan they want. Just let it play out.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Insurance is the purview of the State and any insurance company must comply with the insurance laws of that State, so, no, it won't create any competition and will not drive down the price of health plan coverage.

What will drive down the price of health plan coverage is eliminating hospital cartels and monopolies, and reducing the number of insurance regulations.

French employees pay a payroll tax of 0.75%, while their employer pays a tax of 13.10% for a total of 13.
85%.

There are special systems for agricultural, mining, railroad, public utility, and public-sector employees; clergy; merchant marines; non-agricultural self-employed persons; and agricultural self-employed persons.

There are no subsidies for employers or employees, meaning the 0.75% you pay is not tax-exempt.

An additional 12% surcharge on automobile insurance premiums, and an earmarked tax of 6.3% on the costs of pharmaceutical advertising, alcohol, and tobacco, to help pay for the costs.

The French heavily ration their healthcare, but still have cost issues.

RATIONING HEALTH CARE IN EUROPE – FRANCE

http://www.rees-france.com/en/IMG/pd...ope_France.pdf
Mircea,

I've posted similar numbers, studies, CFR REGS, state rules, HIPAA Exemptions, etc... and have come to the realization that many, if not most, are only going to believe what the ideological news sources tell them. Those who have, or do, numbers, provide guidance on compliance and regulations, work with private/state/federal administrators 'just don't know what we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies