Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Actually retirees that own homes are making bank using Air BnB. Renting rooms out. People don't understand the Seattle economy. And who wants to live in Arizona?! We have tons of Floridians moving here judging by the license plates. Arizona is #4 and Florida is #5 of states contributing to Seattle growth. Texas is #2.

Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times
Good question. People are moving to Arizona from the states mentioned in the link below, and guess what, Washington is one of the top states!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...residents.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
What people ignore is that this doesn't give workers the benefit many seem to think it does. The side effect of raising the minimum wage is that it raises the prices of everything else. This is one of those laws that looks good on paper, but doesn't give any sort of benefit when put into practice. You may be making $15 an hour but that doesn't make much difference when everything you have to buy costs more.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:19 PM

979 posts, read 490,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Good question. People are moving to Arizona from the states mentioned in the link below, and guess what, Washington is one of the top states!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...residents.html
The people in the northwest have a bit of love affair for desert places. I have known a number of people who have moved from here to areas like Arizona and Las Vegas for the sun and dry weather. I have also known people who have moved up here to get away from the heat and desert area. So I wouldn't try to read too much into this because most people that are making that move are doing it for weather reasons.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:21 PM

979 posts, read 490,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What people ignore is that this doesn't give workers the benefit many seem to think it does. The side effect of raising the minimum wage is that it raises the prices of everything else. This is one of those laws that looks good on paper, but doesn't give any sort of benefit when put into practice. You may be making $15 an hour but that doesn't make much difference when everything you have to buy costs more.
The cost of everything in Seattle is already expensive, that has little to do with the wages and more to do with the costs of rents. It makes sense to pay people more so that they too can afford to live in those cities that are more costly. Paying people less doesn't make the cost of goods go down, it just makes it so the people who work there can't afford to live there or buy goods there.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Needs to be repeated:

Quote:
The UW study, which examines the first-year implementation of Seattle’s minimum wage law to $11, reveals while Seattle’s lowest-wage workers are earning slightly more, they have suffered reduced hours and lower rates of employment.

Even worse, as a result of what the study calls the “negative unintended consequence” of fewer hours and reduced employment, Seattle’s lowest-wage workers are actually doing worse compared to low-wage workers in other parts of the state. Despite the city’s hot economy, Seattle workers are “lagging behind” their counterparts from other cities with less robust economies.

The UW study also reveals prices in the restaurant industry, heavily reliant on minimum-wage workers, increased an average of 9 percent after Seattle’s wage jumped to $11.
Quote:
Considering Washington is already struggling with the nation’s seventh-highest unemployment rate, perhaps we should focus on policies that would create more jobs instead of imposing even more limitations on the state’s labor market.
Initiative 1433: Con: Heed warnings on Seattle wage hike before changing law | The Spokesman-Review

Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I don't necessarily buy this. Most of what most people consume by value isn't low wage labor. Think of the major costs in your life:

1. Taxes
2. Rent
3. Transportation
4. Food
5. Monthly bills
6. (if applicable) education
7. (if applicable) healthcare

Only (partially) taxes, food, and if you need long-term care healthcare are heavily impacted by the cost of low-cost labor.

If you're at minimum wage, taxes are mostly paid by other people, you're working so you're not absorbing long term care expenses, so really only food is impacted and that won't be big enough of an impact to remove the benefit.

There IS an edge-case scenario where a city which does not allow meaningful construction of housing raises minimum wages and it all flows into the pockets of the local slumlords, but from what I've heard Seattle is relatively good about actually allowing development.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
The people in the northwest have a bit of love affair for desert places. I have known a number of people who have moved from here to areas like Arizona and Las Vegas for the sun and dry weather. I have also known people who have moved up here to get away from the heat and desert area. So I wouldn't try to read too much into this because most people that are making that move are doing it for weather reasons.
I get it, I live in New Mexico. I still think if the cost of living goes to a certain level in Seattle, whatever that may be, retired folks may be tempted to jump ship.

Not everyone benefits with a minimum wage increase like the OP would have you believe. There are winners and there are losers, just like with virtually every regulation. If we are going to have a conversation, then we need to look at it from all angles. I am all for Seattle's $15 minimum wage if that is what they want, but the federal rate is another matter completely.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
I think $15 an hour might work in a high cost of living place like Seattle. However, I think it would destroy an economy like in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
That is coming from Spokane and as a state, Spokane is not doing as well. It's small, Republican and a bit resentful. It's not Seattle.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think $15 an hour might work in a high cost of living place like Seattle. However, I think it would destroy an economy like in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
This is the case! There are areas in our country that could support a $15/hr rate but many more could not. That said, minimum wage in Seattle is not yet $15/hr. so the jury is still out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies