Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
The federal minimum wage is too low to begin with, so we are already at that point where states and cities are raising it to the level it should be set at. I am expecting the Republicans to finally do away with the federal minimum wage so that we can really see the true importance of having a federal minimum.
You will find practically no one will drop wages if the minimum wage was eliminated.

There would be some jobs opening up for individuals with wimpy chimpanzee like capabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 06:28 PM

979 posts, read 491,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You will find practically no one will drop wages if the minimum wage was eliminated.
I hope you are right, but I am betting you are wrong. Of course we do have some states that don't have a state minimum wage, so those states would automatically go to zero if the federal minimum wage is dropped, and if the Republicans are willing to get rid of the federal minimum wage, I wouldn't be shocked if Republican controlled states are willing to do the same and eliminate their state minimum wage as well, especially those states that had it set at the same rate the federal minimum wage was set at.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:30 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,751,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Are you sure that is happening in Seattle? I know in Portland, the cost of wages aren't the issue for small businesses, it is the cost of rents being tripled so that building owners can make maximum profits that are hurting small businesses.
If you like a wage of 15 bucks for a job. you will have to raise the price of everything 100% to make profit.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Liberals are so gullible.
Yeah, if only we could move to West Virginia... That Republicans hate liberal politics is very very good for Seattle and the West Coast.

Seattle-area jobless rate dips below 4 percent for first time in 8 years | The Seattle Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
The City of Seattle Government should be ashamed for allowing small Mom and Pop businesses to close their doors. All You 15 dollars an hour people ruined a lot of lives for the rest of us.
If a mom and pop business is not doing well in Seattle, that's on them. Seriously.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:36 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
If you like a wage of 15 bucks for a job. you will have to raise the price of everything 100% to make profit.
You obviously dont know a thing about business judging by this comment. The school of Bill O'Reilly taught this?

Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
That is just untrue, a price of an hour's worth of labor isn't a one for one with the prices of things being sold. Whomever told you that you need to increase prices by 100% to raise wages to $15/hr obviously didn't teach you how to run a business. My brother-in-law who runs a bakery will have to be raising his prices to cover the wage increases in Portland, but I can guarantee you that he won't be doubling all his prices, not even close to doubling them. At most, people will notice their bill costing them a dollar or two more.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,535 times
I wonder if older folks in Seattle nearing retirement are more tempted to sell the home at an inflated price and move somewhere cheaper like FL or AZ. I wouldn't be surprised to see seniors leave the state in droves, if it is not happening already.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I wonder if older folks in Seattle nearing retirement are more tempted to sell the home at an inflated price and move somewhere cheaper like FL or AZ. I wouldn't be surprised to see seniors leave the state in droves, if it is not happening already.
It is common for seniors in general to move away from Seattle if they live within the city. There are a number of retirement communities in the Puget Sound that are very pleasant to live in. Plus there is Eastern Washington for those looking for a slower pace of life. You have to remember that Washington doesn't have an income tax, therefore it is a very inviting state for seniors.

Having minimum wage be $15/hr in Seattle or currently $11/hr in the rest of the state isn't going to be a big deal for them.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Is this the new argument now that the doom and gloom and skyrocketing unemployment has been debunked? Trying to convince retired people that workers should suffer?

AZ voters also decided to increase the minimum wage by the way. The people have had enough of the starvation agenda of the big money donor class and their shills.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Actually retirees that own homes are making bank using Air BnB. Renting rooms out. People don't understand the Seattle economy. And who wants to live in Arizona?! We have tons of Floridians moving here judging by the license plates. Arizona is #4 and Florida is #5 of states contributing to Seattle growth. Texas is #2.

Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies