Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 PM

979 posts, read 491,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I get it, I live in New Mexico. I still think if the cost of living goes to a certain level in Seattle, whatever that may be, retired folks may be tempted to jump ship.

Not everyone benefits with a minimum wage increase like the OP would have you believe. There are winners and there are losers, just like with virtually every regulation. If we are going to have a conversation, then we need to look at it from all angles. I am all for Seattle's $15 minimum wage if that is what they want, but the federal rate is another matter completely.
Don't worry, it will be a long time before we ever see any increases in the federal minimum wage, and personally I am expecting the Republicans to just do away with it over the next four years so there will no longer be a federal minimum wage to burden Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
No, they don't. You clearly don't understand economics if you believe this to be the case. How will those towns in middle America where the cost of living is substantially lower than that in other localities cope with rising minimum wages?

That doesn't make any sense. Just because something appears to be working in Seattle for the time being, prior to a potential "oil shock" in the relatively near future, is because the cost of living is high enough to where market wages might be near or close to the $15 range for the level of service being requested.

Of course, this could result in higher prices which will effectively raise the cost of living in Seattle, but the constituents of that locality are free to make their own decisions. However, a federal minimum wage is simply not possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
COL matters. It costs 38% more to live in Seattle than Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Minimum wage should be at the city or state level if done at all.
The minimum wage hasn't risen with inflation federally. Raise minimum to keep up with inflation federally and let cities and states decide if they want to raise additionally.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What people ignore is that this doesn't give workers the benefit many seem to think it does. The side effect of raising the minimum wage is that it raises the prices of everything else. This is one of those laws that looks good on paper, but doesn't give any sort of benefit when put into practice. You may be making $15 an hour but that doesn't make much difference when everything you have to buy costs more.
It all depends on how much you raise it. $15/hr minimum wage is probably inline with higher cost of living/higher wage cities.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Don't worry, it will be a long time before we ever see any increases in the federal minimum wage, and personally I am expecting the Republicans to just do away with it over the next four years so there will no longer be a federal minimum wage to burden Republicans.
I seriously doubt that. There are much bigger fish to fry, besides there is no way Trump would be on board with that. The only way that gets through is with a veto proof Congress. I expect the Repubs to pick up a few seats in the Senate in 2018, but not enough to override a veto, LOL.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Seattle stands at #3 in homelessness, having 10,122 homeless on average. 30% of those are families including children.
Poverty: 10 Cities With the Most Homeless People

The only cities with more homeless are New York and LA.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
The minimum wage hasn't risen with inflation federally. Raise minimum to keep up with inflation federally and let cities and states decide if they want to raise additionally.
We should have zero minimum wage period.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I seriously doubt that. There are much bigger fish to fry, besides there is no way Trump would be on board with that. The only way that gets through is with a veto proof Congress. I expect the Repubs to pick up a few seats in the Senate in 2018, but not enough to override a veto, LOL.
Trump, the man that wants to bring back jobs from China? He is going to all for signing a bill to get rid of minimum wage and the Republicans in Congress are looking like they would be more than happy to push something like this through Congress. I don't have any faith in Trump and the Republicans when it comes to this one.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
What's the point of minimum wage again? To protect people from being forced into labor camps working for free? It just escapes me.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Landlords will start taking advantage of this by increasing the rents. Then companies will raise prices so they can pay their employees extra.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Landlords will start taking advantage of this by increasing the rents. Then companies will raise prices so they can pay their employees extra.
Landlords have already increased rents, that is done because of demand, not because minimum wage has gone up. A landlord doesn't care if someone is making $15/hr minimum wage if they have people making $250K that want to rent their apartments. Affordable housing is a different issue, and the minimum wage doesn't have any effect on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies