Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Rand Paul's Plan?
YES 20 27.03%
NO 54 72.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,198,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
BIG DEAL. Vast majority are insured, as groups, by employer.
Do you have a contractor that has ever worked on your house? A CPA who does your taxes? A lawyer who drew up your will? A doctor in a solo or small practice?

Many of those people are self employed and often don't participate in a group plan. And I point these things out as a Republican who has mixed feelings about the ACA. One aspect of it I do support is the elimination of pre-existing conditions, and, ironically (for most Republicans) the individual mandate.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-12-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,615,413 times
I DO like the provision of allowing other groups creating groups for health insurance. I can see this being a very useful piece in anyone's replacement.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times
Obamacare is collapsing. Have Democrats got a better plan to replace it ?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:53 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,199,173 times
Is this something trump can use and tweak to take out prexisting conditions? I know that's the only thing he likes about Obamacare. I'll read it when I get a chance. Good job Rand, nice seeing a senator try to fix a problem instead of talk (McCain)

Old 01-12-2017, 05:54 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,871,923 times
Medicare for everyone!!!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Red herring question w/o merit.
The parents insurance via work covers the kid, who gets insurance via employment as an adult. Group Insurance does not allow employers to cherry-pick who is insured based on health.
I have a little cousin who had a brain tumor when he was 13 months old diagnosed. He is now 9 years old.

If this passes when he is an adult and can no longer be on his parent's insurance, he will not be able to get coverage. The OP link states that it will benefit employers due to it putting the burden of buying insurance on the employees. People will be able to use the HSA to "pay premiums." IMO this means that they are trying to get the burden of healthcare off the back of employers. FWIW, I've worked with many employers (I work in supply chain/sourcing) to purchase insurance coverage. Insurance for employers is SUPER expensive. For less than 100 employees, it can easily cost $1-$5 million for the employer and that doesn't even account for the amount of premium you pay as an employee. That pidly $200-$300 a month that the employee pays is less than half of what your employer pays for you. So if this plan is a move to place this burden on the general public - i.e. employees and the employees now have to shop the market for a crappy HSA plans (due to working to purchase these policies, I am very knowledgeable about the different types of plans and even though I do like HSA plans, they have a LOT of paperwork and invoicing and bills involved that usually causes the general employee population a headache, people would rather pay more in most cases not to have the HSA plan and prefer HMO/POS type of plans with co-pays and no deductibles in most instances) they will be paying much more money for healthcoverage due to a higher premium cost, a deductible cost, and then having to have their income drained into an HSA to pay for all this and still not have enough. For HSAs how the heck do they think people who make less than $20K per year can "save" any money to pay for health insurance. This will just lead more people to the ER for healthcare like what was happening before ACA passed anyway.

I mentioned earlier I had asthma as a child. Both my parents smoked and when my parents broke up and my mom quit smoking when I was 16 my asthma magically went away. After I went to college and no longer was covered by my university plan, I was denied medical insurance when I tried to buy some by myself at the age of 23 because I had asthma diagnosed at 7 years old and carried a rescue inhaler in case I ever had an asthma attack (I hadn't had one since I was 15-16 before my mom stopped smoking).

My cousin will have the same thing happen to him. He has gone through years of therapy, primarily chemo, he's also had a couple of surgeries. He had a tumor the size of an apple in his brain. He is a great kid today, very sweet and IMO very appreciative of being alive. He should not have to grow up and worry about not having health coverage once he gets too old for his parents' plan or if one of them loses a job and has to buy independent coverage for the family.

Again, you all are not thinking of the public with this.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obamacare is collapsing. ...
Hallelujah! Republican prayers have been answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Have Democrats got a better plan to replace it ?
Democrats did have a better plan -- UHC. Republicans balked. So here we are.

Now it's on Republicans to come up with a better plan.

Go for it!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
On my phone so I'll have to research more and post links later. (Someone want to help, great).

Last night Sanders introduced an amendment that would allow us to import cheaper drugs. It was voted down with (D) support.

I'm sorry, I know I am not suppose to do this but #@√¢ them all.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Democrats did have a better plan -- UHC. Republicans balked. So here we are.

Now it's on Republicans to come up with a better plan.

Go for it!
Outside of someone like Sanders the (D)'s never proposed, pushed, introduced or in any way tried to enact UHC.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,110,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Same old, same old HSA solution. HSAs don't help people at the bottom who have no money to put in an HSA. They are a handout to the more well to do. The Paul plan will lead to what we had before - millions more uninsured (there is no mandate) and increased costs to health providers resulting in massive layoffs in the health care industry and increases in rates for those who get insurance through employer groups. He does have the right idea about allowing pooling (groups) for individual buyers. The plan reeks of what it is - a desperation move by Republicans who are completely without a clue about what to do now that they can actually repeal Obamacare.

It will be interesting to see how this goes down as Trump wants to pass it with the budget reconciliation repeal. That will leave no time at all for public comment from insurers, providers or even the insured. Sounds like a train wreck to me.
There will be block grants to the states, and they can offer subsidies for the low income people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies