Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:01 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Sometimes, people working low-wage jobs feel like they want to make a statement the only way they know how.

Would I have liked to get a message like that on my doughnut box if I was a police officer? Depends on how the person serving me treated me while I was there and how I personally felt about the type of message.

Some people view BLM as a blanket hatred of the police. I know officers who see it that way and I know officers who see it as a shame that this even has to be a movement because they know that not all their fellow officers treat black citizens fairly.

It's a mixed bag. I do think the employee was wrong to write it on there. They're representing the company and, unless it is company-authorized, they shouldn't be adding political messages of any kind to customers' food containers.
This is the first THOUGHTFUL post of the thread.

What I've been reading, for the most part, is the same old knee-jerk responses from one side or the other.

What I rarely see in any threads of this sort is one side trying to understand at all what the other side is saying. Instead, what we pretty consistently see is more faux outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Cops are not your friends , they are not there to help you or serve you, they are there to enforce the law and bust your azz if you get out of line. So act up in front of them, they are the only business that can legally shoot you. Self defense doesn't matter anymore. So yes I don talk to them, I don't misbehave, I bring no attention to myself
Really? Then why do so many police departments have as their motto "To Protect And Serve"?

Old 01-14-2017, 10:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
........" they did nothing wrong "....

An employee does not have the right to write their views on the company's packaging before it goes to the customer..
As you said an employee did it ,the corporation did not ,pretty sure the store manger did not so again this is not about KK it's a bout a disgruntle former employee.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
........" they did nothing wrong "....

An employee does not have the right to write their views on the company's packaging before it goes to the customer..
Nobody has claimed it to be a right.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Doesn't matter. Employees need to know their place. When I worked such a job I had to start at the bottom, shut my mouth and do what I was told with a smile. Do what you need to do outside of work. Step in the door and you are a subordinate following company policy.
I think you need to go back and read Redfin's post. He didn't excuse the behavior.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Absolutely believe this. The problem with BLM is that they are loosely organized and don't come present with a consistent message. They don't have vocal leadership to put out that consistent message over and over again... denouncing actions by either side that threatens that message.

The end result... It opens the doors for thugs such as these to define it for them. In the eyes of general population, it has become anti-police.

I have experience within these communities. There is a strong mistrust of police... often with good reason. It takes a strong willed individual to put those feelings aside and give each individual police officer the benefit of doubt. The police need to be a part of the community not an adversary of it.

IMO, Not all police are "good" but I do understand that the vast majority are good people. As long as the police harbors the "blue wall of silence" and protect those that do cross the line, then they will never meet eye to eye with the community they are suppose to protect.

I believe both sides BLM and the police have good intentions.
Another good post.

And both sides need to start listening to each other and working together.

I often say that I believe that black lives matter, but I do not believe in Black Lives Matter.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
You are one of MANY who can't see the utter hypocrisy and irony of lumping all police together in an effort to fight against a problem that exists because of stereotyping and profiling.

WOW!
And frankly, you appear to be one of MANY who can't see the utter hypocrisy and irony of lumping all Black protesters together in an effort to ignore a problem that exists because of stereotyping and profiling.

People on both sides of this general issue ought to start listening to each other.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:20 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
bottom line is, the fact that the employee wrote this simply to agitate the customer...if I were the manager of that store, I'd have fired the person who wrote that, and gave the officer another dozen donuts, simply b/c I have heard and seen, way to many horror stories with kids who work with food....

it was wrong of the kid to write this, or person whoever. Some one who does something like that is pushing buttons.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Regarding "kids nowadays" being so bad because their parents didn't beat them enough, I find that to be false.

This is a joke video about the alleged differences between "white parents" and "black parents", but in my observation, this more accurately a caricature of the differences between affluent parents and poor/working class parents (the demographic that produces kids most likely to get into legal trouble).

Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Regarding "kids nowadays" being so bad because their parents didn't beat them enough, I find that to be false.

This is a joke video about the alleged differences between "white parents" and "black parents", but in my observation, this more accurately a caricature of the differences between affluent parents and poor/working class parents (the demographic that produces kids most likely to get into legal trouble).
yanno what, I'm not even going to watch this, because you made the comment "Beat them enough". no one is suggesting beating a kid.

I started very young with my boy, and spanked him on the butt 3 times....once in the store, b/c he always carried on in the stores, b/c he was testing me to see if he could.

I was spanked very little by my foster parents and so were my foster sibblings.....no one was beat. Now, I was in fact beat by my mother, she should have never been a mother.....

there is a huge difference.

Kids are growing up today without both parents in homes that are less then good examples, so that surely also has a bearing....

no one is advocating beating a kid....

I watched it....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies