Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,593,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinFam5 View Post
So you're telling me when planned parenthood gets money to use on other things it doesn't make it easier for them to pay for their abortions?
Lol, what? Do you even know what you wrote? If PP gets funding to help cover other services, HOW would that make it easier for them to pay for abortions? Wouldn't it make it HARDER? Did you know that when you get an abortion at PP, you have to pay for it? It's not free. And it's not cheap. Mine was I believe $500 & that was back in 1996.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 PM

15,021 posts, read 12,231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't think either you or your friend know what feminism is. I am a woman in my 50s who has worked all her life (even through 2 children), and I don't even *think* about feminism or whether I am one or not. I also don't think men are evil monsters. I was only in one workplace where the culture was biased against women, so I got out of there. Whatever.

But as another posted stated, and I assume you are young-ish, you just don't remember a time when women were treated very differently. I grew up (and was cognizant) in the late 60s, and 70s, and while women were certainly gaining ground, it was VERY different than it is today. Very.
I'm old enough to remember, and to have experienced some of how women were treated in those "good old days".When I think about it, it seems to me the woman who condemned the OP for her stance on feminism is the female counterpart of the men who ridiculed me so long ago for working so hard to get my college degrees when "obviously that education would be wasted and should go to a man who had to support a family because I would only get married, have children and be supported by a husband". The same level of ignorance, anyway. I also remember the days when it was said that in any given job women had to work twice as hard to get half as far as their male counterparts, and I can verify that was too often the case.

So what did we do? Well, I told the guys who made the remarks about my wasting an education in so many words to pi $$ off, and worked hard.. It was probably was twice as hard as most of my male coworkers, but that was part of my work ethic, a desire to excel at anything I did, and not a man vs. woman competition thing.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:39 PM

88,791 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You don't seem to know what feminism is while rallying against it. Willful ignorance doesn't tend to make for good parenting.

Do you believe your daughter can choose to do anything she works hard to achieve, be it an engineer, doctor, teacher, President of the United States, or a stay-at-home mom? Congratulations, you're a feminist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If that's what you think feminism means, then you have been misled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This. Things like that pesky 19th amendment. Just don't become complacent, women fought hard for you (the OP) to feel this comfortable.
All of the above. The OP's view is kind of a caricature of what feminism is.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 PM

15,021 posts, read 12,231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, what? Do you even know what you wrote? If PP gets funding to help cover other services, HOW would that make it easier for them to pay for abortions? Wouldn't it make it HARDER? Did you know that when you get an abortion at PP, you have to pay for it? It's not free. And it's not cheap. Mine was I believe $500 & that was back in 1996.
I read the Congressional reports on the PP and other abortion clinics. They were linked on another thread. They're long, but there is a lot of information there. Seems that PP billed Medicaid for services directly related to abortions they performed, ie, pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, aftercare, Rh testing, which the Congressional Panel states they should not have done. Also the reports stated that 19 PP clinics had financial audits by the federal government, and were found to have overbilled Medicaid by a significant amount, for services not performed, or billed to Medicaid services for which the patient also paid fees. They believed that their billing for services not performed allowed them income for abortions. From the findings in these reports, it also looked as though their sales of fetal tissue and body parts to tissue procurement agencies was also financially lucrative to PP and the other abortion providers.

You know, I'm sure, that neither PP or any other "Women's Clinics" provide their abortions, or any other services for free. PP charges for its services on a sliding scale depending on the client's income-their website states that clients *may* qualify for some free services. I'm not sure how it works for abortions if they aren't allowed to bill Medicaid for those directly.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I read the Congressional reports on the PP and other abortion clinics. They were linked on another thread. They're long, but there is a lot of information there. Seems that PP billed Medicaid for services directly related to abortions they performed, ie, pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, aftercare, Rh testing, which the Congressional Panel states they should not have done. Also the reports stated that 19 PP clinics had financial audits by the federal government, and were found to have overbilled Medicaid by a significant amount, for services not performed, or billed to Medicaid services for which the patient also paid fees. They believed that their billing for services not performed allowed them income for abortions. From the findings in these reports, it also looked as though their sales of fetal tissue and body parts to tissue procurement agencies was also financially lucrative to PP and the other abortion providers.

You know, I'm sure, that neither PP or any other "Women's Clinics" provide their abortions, or any other services for free. PP charges for its services on a sliding scale depending on the client's income-their website states that clients *may* qualify for some free services. I'm not sure how it works for abortions if they aren't allowed to bill Medicaid for those directly.
PP provides those services regardless if an abortion is performed or not. I had a few pregnancy tests done at PP back in the day. As for selling fetal tissue, where is the problem there? It's legal, correct?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,646,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
All of the above. The OP's view is kind of a caricature of what feminism is.
Feminism is all about insecure people taking control. No one kept them down. A lot of them weren't good at their job and blame men for their failures.

Women like Suzanne Shank and Mary Kay Ash spent more time working than coming up with excuses.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,760,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You can thank feminism for being able to partake in the bolded.

I think you're confusing feminism with feminazism.

Feminism = The different genders should be treated equally.

Feminazism = BURN ALL TEH BRAS!!!!!1! MEN ARE EVIL PIGS, WOMYN ONLY!!!
Feminism ages ago got women working, being able to vote, attending college etc... which is what we support. Now, it's filled with women who think men are rapists and creeps if they approach them, smile at them or talk to them. Just look at videos on youtube and those women claimed they're feminist. Since feminism is supposed to be about equal rights, how is that gender equality?

If a married couple gets divorced, the woman gets the house while the man gets stuck with expensive alimony payments or go to jail. And if they have kids, the man has to pay child support until their child(ren) turns 18 or serve a harsh prison sentence. Feminists claim fighting for gender equality but you never hear them complaining about these issues.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,147,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Feminism ages ago got women working, being able to vote, attending college etc... which is what we support. Now, it's filled with women who think men are rapists and creeps if they approach them, smile at them or talk to them. Just look at videos on youtube and those women claimed they're feminist. Since feminism is supposed to be about equal rights, how is that gender equality?

If a married couple gets divorced, the woman gets the house while the man gets stuck with expensive alimony payments or go to jail. And if they have kids, the man has to pay child support until their child(ren) turns 18 or serve a harsh prison sentence. Feminists claim fighting for gender equality but you never hear them complaining about these issues.
Stop watching stupid videos on YouTube. That's your own fault

And god forbid men pay for the children they have. Grow up.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post

I don't believe in alimony however I do believe in child support. You both made that kid, you both should be paying for it. It's really not that hard of a concept.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,686,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach.

I am a woman that has worked at various places for many years and honestly, the only ones that tried to "keep me down" were other women that had all sorts of problems.

I just don't get how I am supposedly sexist against my own gender simply due to me not thinking my daughter should believe all the teachings of feminism, where they spread fear in the name of righteousness and keep coming up with new ways we are supposedly "oppressed" in this day and age.
Yes, I understand what you mean. I know a lot of women who hate most other women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies