Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
But are they high-paying jobs for unskilled, uneducated white people in Rust Belt states? That's all that really matters.
can't rep you anymore- but this X100- I don';t know where it became a thing that jobs in the mid-west are somehow more important than all others and that we should risk our entire economy to fight for jobs that are already gone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
but we shouldn't be screwing up our economy fighting to hold on to jobs that will be gone someday soon anyway ....what we should be doing is looking to innovate in new fields like green tech, high tech manufacturing, urban farming given how scare water and meat will be in the future, etc....

The health and future of US doesn't rely on guys walking out of HS onto the shop floor and being guaranteed a job for life. IF that's harsh so be it...it;s reality and screwing up the entire economy to protect it is not my idea of success....not college material- learn a trade- can't outsource that...my buddy the plumber makes more than I do- I wish I could go back in time and learn plumbing/electric instead of going to college...
Thing is,

Trade deals like the TPP have become a very sneaky way for big corporations and their lobbyists to violate a government's democratic process and steal power from citizens who never got the chance to consent to the changes in the first place. Legislative reform is necessary to ensure that trade deals adhere to democratic standards in the member countries first, before they are ever adopted.

Look, NO ONE has said there should be zero international trade. Doing that would be incredibly stupid and suicidal. everybody is saying the deal should be re-negotiated. at least FAIR deal. NO?

I will welcome foreign companies setting up manufactures here in the United States, (with minimal foreign workers)

Trump said, if your company stays domestic, you will get all the benefits we can offer; but if you move your factors OUT, we will impose border tax on your product. What is wrong with that? This is exactly what China is doing after 6/4. They had great policies benefit foreign investors. It doesn't hurt America does the same.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:41 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That hannity article you linked to was opinion.

It is no opinion that incomes in the US rose last year at the fastest rate since WW2.

Your blind faith in an unsuccessful blue blood is concerning. I guess Trump could be considered a success for even getting elected, but he has had a crappy career compared to some of his peers.

Anyway.

No trump supporter will ever be able to tell how great trickledown economics is, because it isn't great. How does cutting the corporate tax rate help the needy and the unskilled?
WOW this guy is in total denial. The stats are all there buddy sorry the truth hurts you and your boy 18Montclair. Typical lefty can't handle the stats when they don't support their fake news. You obviously don't understand the difference between job growth AND job participation rates and GDP growth was stagnant under OBama.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:42 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thing is,

Trade deals like the TPP have become a very sneaky way for big corporations and their lobbyists to violate a government's democratic process and steal power from citizens who never got the chance to consent to the changes in the first place. Legislative reform is necessary to ensure that trade deals adhere to democratic standards in the member countries first, before they are ever adopted.

Look, NO ONE has said there should be zero international trade. Doing that would be incredibly stupid and suicidal. everybody is saying the deal should be re-negotiated. at least FAIR deal. NO?

I will welcome foreign companies setting up manufactures here in the United States, (with minimal foreign workers)

Trump said, if your company stays domestic, you will get all the benefits we can offer; but if you move your factors OUT, we will impose border tax on your product. What is wrong with that? This is exactly what China is doing after 6/4. They had great policies benefit foreign investors. It doesn't hurt America does the same.
who defines fair- and then we shouldn't enter into a deal that benefits many b/c a few would lose out? Thankfully the typewriter manufacturing lobby or buggy whip lobby didn't influence trade policy back in the day....

Trumps own inaugural address mentioned that every nation has the right to improve themselves- but when they try to do it in trade negotiations they are evil now?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
who defines fair- and then we shouldn't enter into a deal that benefits many b/c a few would lose out? Thankfully the typewriter manufacturing lobby or buggy whip lobby didn't influence trade policy back in the day....

Trumps own inaugural address mentioned that every nation has the right to improve themselves- but when they try to do it in trade negotiations they are evil now?
who said they are evil? say what now?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I remember arguing with an ultra right wing conservative who was adamant that NAFTA and sending jobs to China would strengthen the economy and make US corporations rich and their owners spending would in turn spend money on services here. And companies would invest the money in new technology and create new jobs here.
It was a crock then and its a crock now. Only now the Hillary supporters are the ones complaining about Trump trying to undo 20 years of both parties screwing the country over.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
if you are talking about survival, no, China doesn't need the US. The economy can be a lot resilient than you think. Workers can go back to be farmers if there is fewer manufacturing jobs.

It needs the US market for urbanization, but the US is not the only market.

I agree Trump is more about hard negotiation on this, but honstly on what?

Currency? Chinese export is less than 2% of GDP, far from the criteria of being a manipulator. In fact, it is export declined last year. If based on this, Germany or Japan should be considered currency manipulator too. Australia and Singapore as well.

American jobs? it is American companies who decided to outsource. China didn't force anyone to set up plants.

Of course no free trade. I don't think it exists anywhere. The US forbids export of crude oil and many high techologies. It was never so much about free trade.
Not sure where to get the figures, but I'd be surprised if the value of most "outsourcing" consists of American companies out-sourcing JOBS - this is another Trump sleight of hand or again he simply does not understand.

Most American companies (if they survived import surges at all) outsourced PRODUCTS. They became importers of low-value added product lines and targeted their US manufactured goods at higher-priced niche markets.

Sure - the net effect is the same. But global across-the-board "remedies" risks upsetting the bottom line of numerous US manufacturers and bringing the entire company down.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I remember arguing with an ultra right wing conservative who was adamant that NAFTA and sending jobs to China would strengthen the economy and make US corporations rich and their owners spending would in turn spend money on services here. And companies would invest the money in new technology and create new jobs here.
It was a crock then and its a crock now. Only now the Hillary supporters are the ones complaining about Trump trying to undo 20 years of both parties screwing the country over.
yeah pretty much.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
keep trying, 18Montclair! There are definitely plenty of negative news about Trump to post on this forum, doesn't change the fact that Obama is not coming back and Clinton is walking dogs!

Actually why not find a job at CNN?
No, he is on Gyorgy's payroll.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
When and where Trump has said he would start a trade war?

Most of the time these days when you hear people talk about free trade, you are being misled. What they are talking about is not free trade. It's managed trade, and it's important to know the difference.

Genuine free trade would be a situation in which Congress passed a law that simply set a tariff schedule on foreign imports and, beyond that, did nothing. People could buy whatever foreign imports they wanted and in whatever amounts they wanted. In the days of genuine free trade, the only argument was how high to set the tariffs.

Managed trade, on the other hand, is an elaborate negotiation with foreign countries in which deals are cut about tariffs and import quotas. Different deals are cut on different products and services. The North American Free Trade Agreement is an example of managed trade masquerading under a false name.

Have you seen how many chinese sellers sell their junk at 1.99 on ebay with free shipping? I have no problems with that. But i have tremendous problems when post office increases shipping cost every single year and if I ship my art work to New York, I have to pay at least $2.6 first class, so customers can receive it in 4-6 business days. I can never compete with chinese sellers. So I closed down my ebay business a long time ago.

How the hell shipping from california to new york (3 oz item) costs $2.6 first class, shipping the similar item from China to california costs almost nothing? LOL

USPS Continues to Grow Revenue While Losing Money

something is seriously wrong there.
... is the right reaction.

Quote:
A senior Trump transition official said Thursday the team is mulling up to a 10% tariff aimed at spurring US manufacturing, which could be implemented via executive action or as part of a sweeping tax reform package they would push through Congress.
Trump team floats a 10% tariff on imports - CNNPolitics.com

And the key word there is - executive action. An executive order. Doubt Congress would let him do it but he can do an end run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies