Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
His moronic tirades on trade denote a real ignorance on the state of the global economy.

Trump trade war woul kill 5 million U.S. jobs. Washington state fears biggest hit | McClatchy DC

I must say I'm curious as to how it will all turn out. That said, Bernie preached the same thing. I think we're about to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
keep trying, 18Montclair! There are definitely plenty of negative news about Trump to post on this forum, doesn't change the fact that Obama is not coming back and Clinton is walking dogs!

Actually why not find a job at CNN?

Can you address the topic at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I've seen posters on here saying it's very easy to accomplish what Trump has done .
Then why don't they do it ? I guess they "choose" not to become billionaires.
It's a joke .

Our Daddies didn't give us millions to 'get started". Bit of a difference there poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
When I see people write "globalists" and then right about how great Carl Ichans economic policy is, i can't help but feel we are really doomed.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
His moronic tirades on trade denote a real ignorance on the state of the global economy.

Trump trade war woul kill 5 million U.S. jobs. Washington state fears biggest hit | McClatchy DC
Until an actual trade policy is introduced, it's literally impossible to forcasts its impacts.

You apparently don't know what leveraging is. Entering a trade deficit with a country thinking your only other option is isolationism is why we're quickly giving up economic superiority to everybody else.
It's best to leverage your economy while it's still in a position of strength to negotiate a better trade deal.
It's not how isolation from China would hurt the US but how much it would hurt China. From there, you negotiate.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Uh what? Everything trump has proposed would increase inequality. explain to us how cutting the corporate tax rate helps the needy or unskilled? Oh it trickles down from the top? Heard that one before.
Corporations don't pay taxes. It is simply passed along. I am for ending them completely and taxing trades instead as one way to get a more fair system.

Quote:
Right wing Propghanda has convinced the stupid that by making the rich richer they themselves will benefit. Pathetic.
The rich have done damn well the last eight years while the poor have fallen further behind. I was very much alone in condemning that.

Quote:
Inequality in the US was starting to close so the Corporate 1% said "time for a tax break"
Just making **** up is not an argument.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
except you forgot the fact that the US was founded on isolationism and trade protection. It became a great economic power largey due to isolationism and trade protection...
I'm afraid the opposite is true. The Smoot-Hawley Tariff of 1930 is widely credited by most economists as a large contributor to the Great Depression. It was World War II that drew the U.S. out of isolationism. Our global involvement with European reconstruction via the Marshall Plan was a major driver to America's emergence as a world economic power.

Trump is not isolationist. However, by putting up border taxes and tariffs, it may have the same effect. He's playing with fire.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You apparently don't know what leveraging is.
Yawns I certainly hope your not suggesting that Donald Trump's checkered business record, filled with scams and sordid dealings, is indicative of leveraging success?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Trump is not isolationist. However, by putting up border taxes and tariffs, it may have the same effect. He's playing with fire.
Exactly.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Uh what? Everything trump has proposed would increase inequality. explain to us how cutting the corporate tax rate helps the needy or unskilled? Oh it trickles down from the top? Heard that one before.

Right wing Propghanda has convinced the stupid that by making the rich richer they themselves will benefit. Pathetic.

Inequality in the US was starting to close so the Corporate 1% said "time for a tax break"
Ehh where have you been income inequality is worse than it has ever been under 8 years of Obama. Obama had no idea how to tackle the economic issues because he's not business savvy enough. Trump is in a whole other league when it comes to that.

Hannity completely obliterates Obama with stats that cannot be refuted :

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...us-legacy.html

Obama had good intentions but he didn't have enough business smarts or willingness to deal with other countries. Obama was not respected in many parts of the world and people liked him for being the first black president more than anything.

Even Michael Moore said Obama won't go down as anything special in history.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-23-2017 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
That big businessman who's employed so many with his sprawling companies and properties all over the world is SO ignorant on business and the economy. Yeah..whatever. And I'm sure Michael Jordan is ignorant about basketball and Bill Gates is ignorant about computer software too.

Fake news.
Precisely. Trump sold himself as a business man. That's what he does. Sell and brand. He knows nothing of US manufacturing and seems to have minimal grasp of economic issues. The guy started out in NY real estate using his Dad's money, moved into development (at which he largely failed), then made money selling his name to others. The guy can't even write his own books, for heaven's sakes. He has an affinity for the attention-grasping political or economic headline but a completely untested ability to deliver.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:58 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:

I am not sure how many treads you have posted... its a bunch. I mean the total number rises to the level of SPAM.

I will say this about this thread, it seems to be a departure from the typical 18Montclair threads. this one actually contains some kind of talking point that is based around an actual policy and not some stupid fake issue that isn't really anything other than an attempt to personally insult TheDonald and/or his supporters...

now mind you 18Montclair isn't actually capable of talking issues directly so the thread starts with personal insult and invective.... which is more 18Monty's stock and trade....

I guess its time to give ole Monty a participation trophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies