Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,815,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Allow someone to be rich?

Nothing says freedom like restricting how much money a person can make.
Stop being selfish and place your country first.

It's not even "restricting", do the math and you will see the more you make you still keep more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
No, because taxes aren't high enough on the rich. If you allow someone to be rich, then you give them power to do whatever they want, including shipping jobs overseas, and in the federal government's case give lobbyists tons of power over our government.

Look up tax rates during the pre-Reagan era and you tell me if today's taxes are high.
You actually think people paid a 90% tax rate? You really do?

No one paid those rates. The rich hired fancy accountants and lawyers to shelter their income.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You actually think people paid a 90% tax rate? You really do?

No one paid those rates. The rich hired fancy accountants and lawyers to shelter their income.
Yeah no one paid it, though I wouldn't be so conclusive to assume no one paid. But the point was, the tax brackets existed.

The fact is wealth inequality was much much less during that period of time so of course no one paid it (or very little people). Now? It's a different story. Just take a look at Trump's cabinet.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
Globalism works out great for the rich as jobs migrate to countries with the lowest wages.
Correct.

I'm ok with globalism when it comes to preventing wars and containing terrorism, but I'm not sold on economic globalism. In a globalized economy, everybody makes Bangladesh wages.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Correct.

I'm ok with globalism when it comes to preventing wars and containing terrorism, but I'm not sold on economic globalism. In a globalized economy, everybody makes Bangladesh wages.
The point is, you have to negotiate correctly. Some industries will benefit and some won't and you have to do the right trade agreements in detail.

The solution is not to say, eff it, screw everyone else close our borders and withdraw all trade agreements.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
Quote:
Stop being selfish and place your country first.

It's not even "restricting", do the math and you will see the more you make you still keep more money.
Let me ask you a question, how much stock would you purchase if your stock broker charged you 90% commission on any profits you made on that stock?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you a question, how much stock would you purchase if your stock broker charged you 90% commission on any profits you made on that stock?
I would still purchase tons of stock because, I still make more money than if I were to just leave my money in a savings account.

Are you going to say nope I won't invest if taxes are too high? You're going to find a way to make more investments, because everyone's greedy and wants as much money as they can regardless of the tax rates.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,645,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Whether you realize it or not, you fall in one of the two camps. You are either a Patriot that puts America first or you are a Traitor that wants America to lose its sovereignty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.58593d7225e9
sorry mate your argument is fallacious , with us or against us, love it or leave it...

blah blah blah..

we need quality control , forums go to hell when this is the standard.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
Quote:
I would still purchase tons of stock because, I still make more money than if I were to just leave my money in a savings account.

Are you going to say nope I won't invest if taxes are too high? You're going to find a way to make more investments, because everyone's greedy and wants as much money as they can regardless of the tax rates.
Interesting. I wasn't aware that you always make money on stock.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,791,820 times
Quote:
I don't think any politician - not even Bernie - is suggesting we go back to 1950's rates; So I'm not sure why your talking about 90%. It's not an unreasonable position to support raising taxes on the rich, especially because they have been low for years. Eight men now have enough wealth as half the world, and it happened because no money is being invested back into the economy.

How many cars can a billionaire buy in one year? Hint, not enough to make a meaningful difference in a consumer based economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies