Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:33 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
His Church was in Virginia. He made comments about Islam which he did apologize for , but he was not indoctrinating hate into Childrens Minds and telling them not to go around people that do not have a fist full beard.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ptember11.usa9

"The Rev Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson set off a minor explosion of their own when they asserted on US television that an angry God had allowed the terrorists to succeed in their deadly mission because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American civil liberties union."

Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ptember11.usa9

"The Rev Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson set off a minor explosion of their own when they asserted on US television that an angry God had allowed the terrorists to succeed in their deadly mission because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American civil liberties union."

Seriously?
I don't know the whole bio on the guy, i just did a quick google search. This man isn't even alive anymore. He died 10 years ago. From your article....... Whats your point?

He released a statement on the controversy, saying: "Despite the impression some may have from news reports today, I hold no one other than the terrorists and the people and nations who have enabled and harboured them responsible for Tuesday's attacks on this nation.

"I sincerely regret that comments I made during a long theological discussion on a Christian television programme yesterday were taken out of their context and reported and that my thoughts - reduced to soundbites - have detracted from the spirit of this day of mourning."

Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
And what about US citizens who are in the process of bringing family members here from those countries? How can you say you are putting US citizens first if you are denying some citizens the right to reunite with family members?

If said citizens have family members who are NOT citizens and come from countries that are considered dangerous, then they must be vetted also. Just because you're a model citizen doesn't mean your uncle or your cousin will be.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
And Jerry Fallwell was literally the leader of the evangelical movement in America and founded their flagship university. He was not some offshoot preacher in some remote Church in West Texas somewhere.
Last I checked none of Fallwell's people flew planes into our buildings while screeming "Jesus saves"?

Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is literally the dumbest thing I've read today.
Beat me to it. But just wait and don't worry. Someone will surprise you with something dumber.

Meanwhile, I just bought lunch at a Yemenite deli. Glad they got here in time. Good soup and spinach burekas.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If it was sensible, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia would be on that list. As it is, it's just easy pickins' for show & tell..
Rare that I agree with you, but I agree with you. Very disappointed not to see Saudi Arabia on the list.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
So the concentration camps will be built along the borders to corral these people? Will they just house illegal immigrants, immigrants from countries we don't like, any foreigners, or just the brown ones, or homosexuals, too? Are all states expected to have them? I just want to know cause I'm looking for a house.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Rare that I agree with you, but I agree with you. Very disappointed not to see Saudi Arabia on the list.
They own a lot of NYC real estate.

Trump sold the 45th Floor of the Trump World Tower to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for $4.5 million in June of 2001.

Oh, were I a conspiracy nut what fun we could have with that.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
And what about US citizens who are in the process of bringing family members here from those countries? How can you say you are putting US citizens first if you are denying some citizens the right to reunite with family members?

If they can be vetted, I'd say they would be welcome here. I would imagine it might be on a case by case basis. In any case, IMO that would be a question to ask your elected representatives. Or the US State Department.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If said citizens have family members who are NOT citizens and come from countries that are considered dangerous, then they must be vetted also. Just because you're a model citizen doesn't mean your uncle or your cousin will be.

Extreme vetting is different from ban/restriction/prevention. I don't think any one minds going thru extreme vetting if they have nothing to hide but if vetting is used as an excuse to block Muslim from entering/leaving then that's a problem. As someone mentioned, you are taking right away from one group of citizen to give comfort to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies