Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,772,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, i don't see the need to pretend we didn't HAVE a vetting system already in place. Of course we did. No one is that stupid that they didn't know that, right?

And the restrictions on refugees from Syria have even stricter restrictions. I'm guessing what will happen in reality is that they will raise the standard of the other countries mentioned to that of what's in place for Syria.
The part you are missing is that in a war torn country like Syria without a functioning central govt, it is impossible to actually vet people. Even the FBI said that. If the refugees can talk a good story during their interview they're in.

And let me guess, there aren't any refugees living in your neighborhood nor are their kids in your kid's schools. Refugees are great additions to the country so long as they live somewhere else. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 06:05 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
They own a lot of NYC real estate.

Trump sold the 45th Floor of the Trump World Tower to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for $4.5 million in June of 2001.

Oh, were I a conspiracy nut what fun we could have with that.
Reposted for my amusement.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The part you are missing is that in a war torn country like Syria without a functioning central govt, it is impossible to actually vet people. Even the FBI said that. If the refugees can talk a good story during their interview they're in.

And let me guess, there aren't any refugees living in your neighborhood nor are their kids in your kid's schools. Refugees are great additions to the country so long as they live somewhere else. Right?
That's not what I read today. Exactly because of what you said, there are layers of questioning and seeking of proof going on with the Syrian refugees.

I live in a very diverse and international neighborhood. There may well be Syrians here. Never thought about it. Wouldn't care, and if you actually knew anything about me rather than went around whacking your head jumping to conclusions, you would know that.

There is a Syrian Jewish community in a nearby town. It's possible they have taken in any Jewish refugees, but I don't know.

As for my kid's school, she is at a university in a neighboring state working on her Ph.D. She has lived in Asia. Doubt Syrian refugees scare her, either.

Read. Or not. I realize actual information isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'll offer it.

http://time.com/4116619/syrian-refug...ening-process/

Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I was hoping for a halt to start this week given Syrians started arriving last week in the shire town of my county. My read of the plan is that after he signs it, those countries will have 60 days to comply with giving us the info we need to properly vet the refugees or a halt will be put in place. A lot more Syrians can arrive in that 60 days and they won't be going home again. That said, a ban a couple months from now is vastly better than it would have been with Hillary opening the flood gates for unvetted Muslims had she been elected.
The shire town of your county? i know what you mean--but an American would say "county seat".

People know that there was never a plan to open floodgates to unvetted Muslims. Cut the theatrics.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
My point is that we can around saying an entire religion is hateful or scary based on quotes taken out of context or by focusing on individual preachers or people whom claim to stand for that religion. It's all too easy.

Going back to your OP, I as a Muslim don't really mind the rules. Keep in mind however that not all the people from these countries are avid terrorists waiting to strike, I have personal family on the front lines against ISIS in one of the countries mentioned.
"My point is that we can around saying an entire religion is hateful or scary based on quotes taken out of context or by focusing on individual preachers or people whom claim to stand for that religion. It's all too easy."

Naw, I would say that they are a threat based on the fact that followers of Islam are currently at war with every people, including those who supposedly share the same religion, on every Continent where they reside. Of course, by percent it's very small number, but there is no other religion where its members are at war where ever they go.

List of Islamic Terror attacks:
Last 30 Days

During this time period, there were 171 Islamic attacks in 30 countries, in which 1153 people were killed and 1689 injured.

List of Islamic Terror Attacks

Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
The shire town of your county? i know what you mean--but an American would say "county seat".

People know that there was never a plan to open floodgates to unvetted Muslims. Cut the theatrics.
So, James Comey's FBI is investigating them. He's the right guy for the job

Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,019,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"My point is that we can around saying an entire religion is hateful or scary based on quotes taken out of context or by focusing on individual preachers or people whom claim to stand for that religion. It's all too easy."

Naw, I would say that they are a threat based on the fact that followers of Islam are currently at war with every people, including those who supposedly share the same religion, on every Continent where they reside. Of course, by percent it's very small number, but there is no other religion where its members are at war where ever they go.

List of Islamic Terror attacks:
Last 30 Days

During this time period, there were 171 Islamic attacks in 30 countries, in which 1153 people were killed and 1689 injured.

List of Islamic Terror Attacks
Of a people of 1.6 Billion? Not too bad. Further read the data on that Islamophobe site, it's ridiculous... a lot of those incidents have nothing to do with any religion or war and the motivations are purely political.

Now juxtapose that to Americans whom dropped over *26,000* bombs in 2016. And you tell us were the violent ones lol? Tell that to the *half million* Iraqis who died for literally nothing. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
So, James Comey's FBI is investigating them. He's the right guy for the job
They have an FBI Terrorist Unit, which I did not know. That was good to learn.

Used to be that FBI concentrated on internal and CIA on external and they did not exchange information. That sort of compartmentalization between agencies does not make sense, and it sounds, at least on the surface, as if they've got a better setup now.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:44 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
There was yet another terror attack in Somalia today that killed 8. Under Obama, that could have happened here. Now, it won't. Thanks, President Trump!
You don't know that. And I think Obama has kept us pretty safe since 911. The problem is home grown terrorists who are citizens. They are the real threat. Trump hasn't recognized that.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Of a people of 1.6 Billion? Not too bad. Further read the data on that Islamophobe site, it's ridiculous... a lot of those incidents have nothing to do with any religion or war and the motivations are purely political.

Now juxtapose that to Americans whom dropped over *26,000* bombs in 2016. And you tell us were the violent ones lol? Tell that to the *half million* Iraqis who died for literally nothing. Hypocrisy at its finest.
"Further read the data on that Islamophobe site, it's ridiculous"

Well it would be phobic and untrue if people of your chosen religion were not at war with others in every country and on every continent where you go: China, US, Russia, Canada Philippines, Australia, Indonesia, India, Croatia, UK, Argentina, Spain France, Belgium, and on and on:

Here's a non-partisan list since you don't like the other one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rorist_attacks

"Now juxtapose that to Americans whom dropped over *26,000* bombs in 2016. And you tell us were the violent ones lol?"

If it was up to me the US would have never gone into that country to begin with, Gulf war 1 or 2. Sorry to hear Obama dropped all those bombs. So Islamist are at war in every country in the world, with every religion in the world because the US went into Iraq and Obama has been dropping bombs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies