Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 06:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,095,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm just trying to figure out what money the state of California sends to the federal government. Social Security and federal income tax withholding doesn't pass through state hands.

Saying that California sends more money to the federal government than it gets back is somewhat misleading since taxes are paid by individuals and businesses, not the state.

I suppose it could withhold the federal tax and SS payments of state employees but research what happens to employers that do that.
Not hard to do tax seizures directly from banks in CA of anyone not paying what's owed. IRS does that all the time.
At some point the people and states actions could start sedition or treason proceedings, THAT would be interesting to watch on CNN or CSPAN!

Definition of sedition for English Language Learners
: the crime of saying, writing, or doing something that encourages people to disobey their government

Legal Definition of sedition
: the crime of creating a revolt, disturbance, or violence against lawful civil authority with the intent to cause its overthrow or destruction — compare criminal syndicalism, sabotage
seditious \-shəs\ play adjective
seditiously adverb

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sedition

Old 01-28-2017, 06:42 AM

21,518 posts, read 10,642,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm just trying to figure out what money the state of California sends to the federal government. Social Security and federal income tax withholding doesn't pass through state hands.

Saying that California sends more money to the federal government than it gets back is somewhat misleading since taxes are paid by individuals and businesses, not the state.

I suppose it could withhold the federal tax and SS payments of state employees but research what happens to employers that do that.
I know, do they really want to go there? It's crazy! Half the country has lost their damn minds. We have laws, now they're being enforced. Not one thing Trump wants to do needs congressional approval because it has already had laws for years that just weren't being enforced.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:43 AM

7,270 posts, read 4,235,754 times
CA doesn't have a leg to stand on and is all talk and no action. Hope it slides into the sea. A state that will put illegals above it's citizens and the rest of the nation should be punished.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:44 AM

21,518 posts, read 10,642,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Under Bush few were complaining .
Not true. A lot of people were complaining. How do you think there was so much support for the border fence in 2006?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:44 AM

5,805 posts, read 5,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is EXACTLY how to respond to a bully like Donald Trump-we'll keep our HALF-TRILLION dollars here in-state and moocher red states can eat [MOD CUT/profanity]

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – The state of California is studying ways to suspend financial transfers to Washington after the Trump administration threatened to withhold federal money from sanctuary cities, KPIX 5 has learned.

California Could Cut-Off Feds In Response To Trump Threats « CBS San Francisco
Go California. Like I always said. We should divide the country into two, and I can guarantee that the red states will be asking for economic aid within 5 years.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-28-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Under Bush few were complaining .
It seems we've finally hit the tipping point some have been talking about for years now...

Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Go California. Like I always said. We should divide the country into two, and I can guarantee that the red states will be asking for economic aid within 5 years.
You are aware what happened the LAST time this was tried right? You ready to die for your beliefs because that may just be what needs to happen to get there. My guess is no but you'd be willing to watch others do so and maybe carry a sign...

Old 01-28-2017, 06:53 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,388,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Go California. The Boston Mayor also has some guts......
Let's step back for a minute and compare this action to a parallel: George Wallace's attempt to resist integration at the University of Alabama by symbolically standing in a doorway some fifty-plus years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_...hoolhouse_Door

Both actions revolve around the same conflict over Federal vs. state power: but in the mindset of the self-appointed Social Justice Warriors who feel that they, and they alone, have the right to speak for all of us, one is Absolutely Moral, and the other is Absolutely Evil.

And this is determined, of course, by the Social Gospel of Political Correctness -- formulated and occasionally revised, in accordance with the shifting winds of fringe group politics, by a supposedly-enlightened priesthood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I would love this, not because of the illegals issue, but because the red states don't deserve California's tax dollars.
Thank you, Exhibit 'A'!

So let's see if the OP and the other followers of the Klinton Kiddie Krusade can come up with a logically-consistent rationale for their arguments -- something more than their end merely justifying their means.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-28-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 06:54 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,581,297 times
I would love this, not because of the illegals issue, but because the red states don't deserve California's tax dollars. Let the federal government try to figure out how to budget everything without California, a state that definitely give more in taxes than it receives back. I'm not holding my breath that it will actually happen, but it sounds good in theory.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,924,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
And at the same time California will be begging for military protection in less than 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies